Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

This Started It All for Me

Im born and raised in Indiana, but for some reason my family always rooted for Michigan, pUKe, purdue. Got to high school and the first  IU game i watched was with Eric Gordon, and ive never looked back. What got you guys into IU? I know most of you guys were just born into it, but for a guy like me i had to figure out because i didnt know any better lol. heres his highlight that i watch once a week lol!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

sorry i dont know how to embed videos if someone could help me out  :laugh:

Good post GoHoosiers09----I inherited my love of IU from my father.  We watched every IU game we could on TV and my dad later attended IU to get an advanced degree.  He took my family with him one summer while he attended IU and we stayed in those old dinky blue-green trailers that used to be across from Memorial Stadium and The Hall (anybody remember those?).  I loved that summer and have been hooked every since!

Born in the late 70 ' s I didn't know anything about the 76 and 77 teams. I was less than a year old. My family was into sports but IU was never brought up. I was in 1st grade with some IU fans and I started watching the games on local channel 44. I quickly became a fan myself. I remember the 81 team but really got amped up in 87 with Stevie shoot a 3 pointer. I have been a loyal follower every since. My dad says I liked Patrick Ewing and Georgetown back in the day lol. All I remember is IU!

My pappy was an IU fan. We used to watch all the games together. We have home movies where he talks about seeing if Damon was going to be as good as everyone thought. I always loved IU and Purdue growing up because they were on TV all the time.(When I say Purdue I mean brad and Andre miller and Brian Cardinal.)I was born in January of 87 so there's been no real glory days I can speak of. There is now only one team I care about.....the Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!!!! Last last thing my pappy did was watch an IU game on TV. January of 2000. He died about 20 mins later.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

My older brothers were at IU Bloomington when I was wee little.  I liked Michigan sports then, Football, Basketball, and Hockey.  My brothers always ribbed me about IU sports vs Michigan.  Started liking IU basketball in the early 90's with Chaney and Henderson.  Received a full Scholarship to IU Bloomington while in high school and it as ALL IU from then on!!!!!!!

I was born and raised in Indiana and completed my degrees at IU. I have fond memories of watching the later championship teams. I guess that is why Quinn Buckner was, and will always be, my favorite IU player.  He would run out on the court to the pep band playing "The Mighty Quinn", and AH would erupt. He was the Vic of those earlier years.

Although I've resided in Florida since 1977, I do not consider myself a Floridian; I'll always be a Hoosier. During those early years in Florida there was no internet and we obviously were unable to watch Ch 4. However, we were able to pick up radio station WOWO out of Ft. Wayne but only if we listened in our bathroom. So we spent many game nights sitting in the bathroom cheering on our boys. Now that is dedication and true fans. Always will be a proud HOOSIER.

You demonstrated true commitment with the bathroom broadcasts. You definetly earned your stripes.

Good post GoHoosiers09----I inherited my love of IU from my father.  We watched every IU game we could on TV and my dad later attended IU to get an advanced degree.  He took my family with him one summer while he attended IU and we stayed in those old dinky blue-green trailers that used to be across from Memorial Stadium and The Hall (anybody remember those?).  I loved that summer and have been hooked every since!

There was a big row of them behind McNutt when I lived there

The tournament run in 2002 got me. I was always a huge NBA fan and never had family that went to college or was interested in college sports. That run I made a bracket and picked IU. I could have won my father close to $4,500 in his office pool that year. I was hooked. I watched Hoosiers weekly. I got books about IU basketball and watched old VHS tapes of the '87 season that someone had taped. Imagine the shock that came when I arrived on campus in August of 2008...

I have an IU basketball tattoo because the one constant in my life is IU hoops. It is beyond an obsession to me. 

In early October of 1984 when I was 6 years old, Dad brought me home one of those schedule/calendars from the bank with all of the players faces on it.  For whatever reason I made up my mind that day that I was going to watch all of their games with my dad since I had that schedule/calendar.  The rest is history.  

I'm a 4th Generation Hoosier!

My great grandpa to my grandpa to my dad to me... Just runs in my blood.

My grandpa's brother went to IU, as did one of his sons, so IU is pretty big to them too. Really it's just a whole family thing.

One last important thing:
One of the last times I ever saw my great grandpa, he was watching an IUBB game during the nightmare of 2008-2009, so one of my most meaningful IUbb memories comes from the worst time in the program's history, which I find kinda odd but cool.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wasn't born in Indiana and I never lived there until I got to IU's campus in 2010 the same year as Oladipo and Sheehey. Sort of made watching them for three and four years respectively special. I had student season tickets every year through last season, and bought as many that I didn't have as possible. That first season was hard to watch at times, but I became obsessed with Assembly Hall and the tradition at IU. The following year I was actually at the Kentucky game and got to storm the court. Some of my greatest memories from college were in Assembly Hall. My kids will definitely be force fed Hoosier basketball at a young age.

Not like a lot of you guys, I'm fairly new to this obsession.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Born into it. There are home video of me as a kid (3 or 4 years old) where my parents would ask "What does Bobby (Knight) do? I would proceed to raise my shirt up so my belly hung out ( Knights classic red sweeter would get raised up on his belly from time to time". The they would ask me what Bailey (Damon Bailey) did and I would make a shooting motion. My dad watched all the games and was decked out in IU clothes most days out of the week. I can remember being at what they used to call Midnight Madness, when they had the first practice of the year at midnight. My first memory of one was when Guyton was still playing and Knight ran a SILENT practice. No fan noise or anything. I always loved showing up to that late night practice cause a line would form and then right before midnight the doors would open and me and my dad would run to be able to get front row seats. Also I remember being at the game in 2000-01 season when Kirk Haston hit a 3 as time expired and IU beat #1 Michigan State. The fans rushed the court, my dad wanted to go but didn't want to ditch me. Since then we've been to at least 1 game a year and watched every single game on tv. Over the years I've met and gotten an autograph from almost every player.  I went to live in South America a few years back and it was the first time me and my dad couldn't go to Hoosier Hysteria. My dad got ahold of the Athletic department and told the story of me and him going to all these games and Hoosier Hysteria events together and how I couldn't go because of me being in South America…a nice personalized autograph arrived in the mail from Coach Crean. 
Another classic moment that had an effect on me as a young hoosier fan was in the early 90s for a Purdue-IU game, they showed it at the local mall where I lived. Tons of people showed up , my dad and uncle cam equipped with their "bad call bricks" if anyone remembers those. They were styrofoam red "bricks". My dad has his attached to a string and would throw it at the TV during those games broadcast at the mall haha. LIfe long hoosiers fanatic here