Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) JUCO PF Ray Kasongo

I still don't understand why Ray was denied admission to Oregon. I mean, it's freaking Oregon, not Harvard. Was he academically ineligible then but he's okay now? Is there something else going on here? Can someone please explain?

No link available, I'm too lazy to research at the moment, but I believe the issue centers around credit for online-only courses.  Oregon seems to be more strict on this aspect and they view Ray does not qualify for admission.

I still don't understand why Ray was denied admission to Oregon. I mean, it's freaking Oregon, not Harvard. Was he academically ineligible then but he's okay now? Is there something else going on here? Can someone please explain?

I'm not sure anything out there is clear but I've gathered a bit of information on it. A lot of it is funky because of the prep school he attended and the high schools prior to that. One thing is clear, he is eligible by NCAA requirements.

In the case of Oregon, there is chatter that the question involves two online classes that Kasongo took somewhere in the past, maybe at Faith Christian Academy. Oregon is denying him based on those classes. The issue is, why are they denying him...well, Oregon's athletic department has been in more trouble than they've been out of recently so the speculation is some administrators are tightening up admissions for athletes. Now, again, why Lyle and Kasonga? Both at prep schools, both with not the best influences around them...I don't know. The cynic would be led to believe that the academic admissions reasoning is a cover.

Fwiw, a lot of this is not any sort of inside information. Pat Forde of Yahoo! did a pretty good job outlining the ship Dana Altman is steering at Oregon. If involved, Brandon Bender is trouble. Kasongo definitely did consider Bender his mentor while at East Ridge High School in Kentucky and Bender followed him from there.

Say what you want about Crean, but I don't think you'll see them get involved in something unless they are comfortable that it is clean and they seem pretty involved at the moment.

I can try to explain more after work, but here is a link to an article citing Forde's article I mentioned...

LINK

Maybe he liked beaver more than duck?

I thought he was more like 6'6-6'7?? Could be wrong but either way he would still contribute to our front court. I know while he wAs playing ball in KY that his school was class a. And that is where I see most of the videos from. Sorry if this is choppy and hard to follow but I'm at work. Played over in the same area as Shane Hall

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not sure about these highlights, looks like he's playing against my middle school B team. But I'd still feel considerably better about this season if we got him. Kid's a bully in the paint, looks like he could handle the Big 10. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQFaKo4T-l4

have to also consider the timing of it all right now in regards to all the interest he's getting from top programs.  most likely wouldn't be getting this type of interest in other scenarios.  He's definitely a big guy and skilled, not many left for 2014 season!

A brief workout video of Ray Kasongo at Phase one from a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JKL0Rc0Fo

Those are some really pathetic looking push ups, even with what appears to be a weight vest. He looks like he needs a full offseason of strength training. Not sure how much a guy like this would help in 2014. Would rather see the spot open for some of the 2015 guys we're high on.

Bender is definitely involved but I guess no one is sure of to what degree. Bender has a ton of heat around him which hopefully means this one is clean.

I'm split on this. Visiting Kansas then saying they're out of it that night sounds shady, but there were rumors of the crowded backcourt and a potential redshirt so maybe that was the problem. To me though, all that would have been known prior to the visit...

He has visited IU in the past so, contrary to the report he may visit, wouldn't be shocked if he commits w/o a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners