Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2015) JUCO PF Ray Kasongo

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="79081" timestamp="1408293752"]Yeah, that's not true on Vic. He had [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Victor-Oladipo-84192"]offers[/url] from Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Pitt and others. Those aren't on the same level of an IU (neither is Maryland), or where we should be, but that is a pretty solid list.

Rankings are far from a science, but generally there is degree of accuracy. If no one has ever heard of a recruit, there is probably a reason. If a recruit ONLY has offers from small programs, there is probably a reason.[/quote] I agree that the Vic comparison has been stretched a bit in a way to justify low rank signings. I do think he's a good example of Crean's ability to see beyond rankings and find talent. But it's shaky at best to assume he sees something Vic-like in a player like Holt.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Honestly just another player. Couldn't get in to IU so I'm glad it won't happen. That honestly makes me happier than him somehow getting in.

I love our basketball team and all athletic teams at IU, but I love my diploma from IU & the Kelley School the most. Protect that diploma!!! :)

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="79087" timestamp="1408295023"]Honestly just another player. Couldn't get in to IU so I'm glad it won't happen. That honestly makes me happier than him somehow getting in.

I love our basketball team and all athletic teams at IU, but I love my diploma from IU & the Kelley School the most. Protect that diploma!!! :)[/quote] Still waiting for mine in the mail, but once it gets here, it will be one of my most prized possessions.

I agree that the Vic comparison has been stretched a bit in a way to justify low rank signings. I do think he's a good example of Crean's ability to see beyond rankings and find talent. But it's shaky at best to assume he sees something Vic-like in a player like Holt.

Oh Vic was under ranked and Crean does get credit for that, but people need to stop acting like Crean found him in Timbuktu.  He was a highly athletic player on a good high school/AAU team, he didn't get the attention of top college programs but people knew who he was.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="79089" timestamp="1408295183"]Oh Vic was under ranked and Crean does get credit for that, but people need to stop acting like Crean found him in Timbuktu. He was a highly athletic player on a good high school/AAU team, he didn't get the attention of top college programs but people knew who he was.[/quote] Absolutely. Can't be used to support signing players like Priller and April. Only their performance this season can justify that.

[quote name="Bowhunter" post="79093" timestamp="1408299596"]I hope it's not Illinois that gets him. With all the issues that Kasongo may have in his closet, the boy can play.[/quote]

Illinois is just as hard, if not harder to get into than IU. Just depends how much they want him I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="yogisballin" post="79105" timestamp="1408304507"]It's going to be freaking Izzo boys! Per his high school coach

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Thought they already passed on him...

Yeah, that's not true on Vic.  He had offers from Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Pitt and others.  Those aren't on the same level of an IU (neither is Maryland), or where we should be, but that is a pretty solid list.

Rankings are far from a science, but generally there is degree of accuracy.  If no one has ever heard of a recruit, there is probably a reason.  If a recruit ONLY has offers from small programs, there is probably a reason.

Victor himself has indicated he only had formal offers from Indiana, Maryland, and George Washington I believe. Good example of what I was saying re: Rivals/Scout. The offer lists, etc. are often horribly wrong and out of date.

It isn't like Victor is the only example; Crean has a proven track record in this regard. Everyone knows about Wade, but when you think about what he did with Diener, McNeal, Hayward, Matthews, Sheehey, etc. it gives the guy a lot of credibility when it comes to recruiting and evaluating. Often troubles have come from recruiting (Hollowell, Vonleh, Etherington) to the national evaluators that you mention are often accurate to some degree. This is not necessarily true depending on how you look at it.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="79152" timestamp="1408325608"]FWIW Ray Kasongo got a Michigan St. CB pick today.....

If that comes to fruition, they'd have Tum Tum Nairns, Marvin Clark, Eron Harris (transfer), and Ray Kasongo.

That's just plain crazy.

Not that any of them (minus Eron Harris) are superstars but.....[/quote]

They were ALL ours. :(

FWIW Ray Kasongo got a Michigan St. CB pick today.....

If that comes to fruition, they'd have Tum Tum Nairns, Marvin Clark, Eron Harris (transfer), and Ray Kasongo.

That's just plain crazy.

Not that any of them (minus Eron Harris) are superstars but.....

Aren't all of those dudes ranked out of the top 75-100?

FWIW Ray Kasongo got a Michigan St. CB pick today.....

That's just plain crazy.

Ha, is Crean still evaluating recruits for Izzo?

Aren't all of those dudes ranked out of the top 75-100?

Pretty much. Eron Harris is a big time player. Tum Tum has ranged from 60-125 range. Kasongo as we know is a highly questionable 220 ranking. Marvin Clark also hovers around 200-220 ranking.

So yeah, minus Eron, no superstars, just ironic HOW close we were with the others.

Tom certainly has a lot of hits as a recruiter but let's not pretend he doesn't miss sometimes.  Trotting out Vic/Will/Wade/whatever doesn't make the man's judgments infallible.  I think it is intellectually dishonest to hand-wave away any criticism.