Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

Starting Lineup Predictions

I know it's too early and we haven't seen the team yet---but based on what we know---or think we know----what do you predict the starting lineup and 6th man will be to start the season and then what do you think it will be at the end of the season???? Let's have some fun with it!!!

I am going with a 3 guard line-up.  Although Stan is better defensively than RoJo right now---I like RoJo's outside shooting to space the floor. I predict Crean uses early games to get JBJ and RoJo much needed experience. Stan will become the super 6th man and score in bunches as he showed he can do in Canada in limited minutes.

Start of season: Yogi ;JBJ; Rojo: Troy; Hanner    6th man: Stan

End of season: Same as Above!

What you think???????

I'll go:

Yogi
Jimbo
Zeisloft
T(roy)hunderfunk
Hanner

Rojo and Stan become an extremely deadly 1-2 punch off the bench at the 2 and 3 spots. Zeisloft starts, but doesn't get starter's minutes once Stan subs in.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This is how I see it too.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not to be a downer, but I'm not sure that's what it means. It's really only one spot. The vast majority have Yogi, JBJ, Troy and Hanner locked in, it's just that 3rd guard spot that varies between Zeisloft, RoJo and Stan. 

All of these multiple/ possible lineups = real depth!

The staff better be doing their research on each of our opponents.  I feel like our guards all have very different skills in which we can play multiple combinations (especially with guards) in order to exploit any weaknesses we find in opposing teams defense.   Going to be a very X's and O's oriented team this year, IMO.    Sounds like we could pretty tough to guard to with Crean playing some irregular type of lineups and changing up the defense.  

Didn't they do some abstract defensive switching last year, especially near the end of our season?   I remember that actually being a bit successful, but you could tell that the players weren't used to it yet, as it found some of our freshman (stan in particular) out of position. 

All of these multiple/ possible lineups = real depth!

That doesn't equal real depth. That equals out to a lot of players being of the same skill level right now/more experience for what they can bring to the court. Don't want to talk about depth after the 2012-2013 season our preseason depth proved to be non-existent. 

Troy
Devin
Hanner
JBJ
Yogi

This was exactly what I was thinking.

Then you got Stan & Rojo to come in at guards and Holt, Z3 to come in for frontcourt/wing rotation.

Maybe this is a prediction or maybe it is a pipe dream... but I don't want to be starting 3 guards... don't even want to be playing 3 guards at a time for long stretches. I know we are a guard heavy team but with too many guards in the game I fear we begin to move to fast and that leads to turnovers....

This was exactly what I was thinking.
Then you got Stan & Rojo to come in at guards and Holt, Z3 to come in for frontcourt/wing rotation.

Maybe this is a prediction or maybe it is a pipe dream... but I don't want to be starting 3 guards... don't even want to be playing 3 guards at a time for long stretches. I know we are a guard heavy team but with too many guards in the game I fear we begin to move to fast and that leads to turnovers....

My only concern is exhausting our limited options in the front court by playing a line up like this too often.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Good discussion. Still sticking to my opinion--- having about 9 interchangeable players is "Real Depth"--We can argue about whether it is "Good Depth"---which we will find out when they turn the lights on and throw the ball up---but it is certainly better that the recent depth we have had! We finally actually have several ball handlers---several shooters---several slashers---and I hope several serviceable big men.  That=REAL DEPTH!

I think we will see a lot of different lineups. When BIG season rolls around, we will have a better indication who is our better "post" player. So if DD keeps making strides, I see him starting. However, we haven't seen Hanner play this season. There will be games we will start Hanner, DD, Troy, JBJ, and Yogi because of the match up. I can see this with teams like Wisconsin who would murder us down low with just Hanner or DD out at one time. The back court is firmly set with JBJ and Yogi. The real question is, who can bring the most to the game the complement our lineup. If we have Troy, Hanner, Yogi, and JBJ, I think that the shooting and experience of Ziesloft will be a good option. Stan can drive the lane and slash, so I think his energy off the bench could be huge. Rob Johnson will be excellent off the bench for any back court sub. So for most games:

Yogi

Ziesloft

Troy

JBJ

Hanner/DD depending on who has improved the most. Too early to call