Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

Rod Wilmont

Lightning sign two former Big Ten players

August 27, 2014 (LONDON, Ontario) -- The London Lightning have added two exciting players to this year’s roster – guards D.J. Byrd and Roderick Wilmont. Profile/Stats

D.J. Byrd played at Purdue University in The Big Ten Conference, earning recognition as The Big Ten Sixth Man of the year in his junior year. In his senior year, he played in all 34 games, starting 33 times and averaged career highs of 10.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 30 minutes of play. He finished his career ranked sixth in program history in three-point shots and tenth in games played. He ranked third in the Big Ten in three-point shots per game and 13th in three-point field goal percentage in overall games, which earned him an Honorable mention All-Big Ten.

“D.J. is not just an exceptional shooter, he is also a high IQ, all around basketball player that is going to quickly become a fan favourite in London,” said General Manager Taylor Brown.

Byrd played last season in the German Pro-A League where he averaged 13 points and three rebounds in 25 minutes of play and shot 40 percent from the three and 90 percent from the free throw line.

“I am very excited about signing with the Lightning and looking forward to the opportunity to work with Coach Knox,” said Byrd. “He has developed a lot of great players and has a passion for winning.”

Roderick Wilmont is another former Big Ten player who played at the prestigious University of Indiana. As a senior, Wilmont started every game for the Hoosiers and was the team’s second leading scorer and rebounder at 13 points per game and six rebounds per game, respectively.

Wilmont had several NBA workouts and ended up playing in the NBA D-League with former Lightning star, Marvin Phillips. During his time in the NBA D-League, he averaged 13 points per game, leading the Fort Wayne Mad Ants in scoring. Wilmont has played in Italy, France and Sweden the past three seasons.

“Roderick is obviously a very talented and experienced shooting guard and we are very lucky to have him in a Lightning uniform,” said Brown. “Rod has a great relationship with Coach Knox which was definitely the deciding factor in joining our team. We are excited to see what Rod can do this season.”

http://lightningbasketball.ca/p/14539/nr/100161/lightning-sign-two-former-big-ten-players

Roderick Wilmont is another former Big Ten player who played at the prestigious University of Indiana.

Two things.

They didn't say the prestigious Purdoo for Byrd.  Wonder why?

I hate it when some uninformed nincompoop says University of Indiana.

Third thing....go Hot Rod!

An 11/28/16 snippet from the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel

Rod Wilmont's foray into being a head coach at the high school level has started successfully with a star player in senior Keegan Fetters at Lakewood Park Christian (Fort Wayne).  The former Indiana Hoosier is now 2-0 in his coaching career with wins over Hamilton and Fremont.

Dan Vance - Fort Wayne News-Sentinel

Rod Wilmont no longer the boys basketball coach at Lakewood ParkFormer Indiana University player says he will continue his coaching career elsewhere

Rod Wilmont will no longer be the boys basketball coach at Lakewood Park Christian, the school confirmed. Wilmont leaves the Panther program just one year after taking over the varsity team and leading them to the school’s first boys basketball Sectional title. He will now exit the program for a coaching job on a higher level, which he declined to comment on the specifics of at this time.

Wilmont’s Lakewood Park squad went 17-9 last season, culminating in a 77-75 win over Blackhawk Christian on March 4 in the sectional title game. The win gained a measure of revenge from a 75-68 loss earlier in the season. The 17 wins were the most for the Lakewood program since 2013 and matched a school record.

“It was a great experience going up there and helping those young men turn into winners. They’ve just got to believe in the system and hard work and that’s what they did last year,” Wilmont said.

As a senior at Indiana University in 2007, Wilmont set the school record for three-pointers in a game (9) before going on to play locally with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and shuffling into the coaching world as an assistant with the Mad Ants and at both Canterbury and Bishop Luers high schools.

But even when he took the job at Lakewood Park prior to last season, Wilmont was clear about higher aspirations coaching, some of which came to fruition in his years coaching the Fort Wayne Flite, a minor league team in the Central Basketball Association.

During this past summer, Wilmont’s name was constantly thrown around regarding job openings at South Side and Bishop Luers, but nothing came of those openings.

“I was interested; I thought those were two great jobs and they chose to go in other directions,” Wilmont said while noting he can understand the drawbacks of him to high school athletic directors. “I think a lot of it had to do with my aspirations. A lot of schools were looking for long term coaches.”

While Wilmont was unable to discuss the specifics of his new opportunity at this time, he does know that it is a step in the right direction for a coaching career his is passionate about.

“I work my butt off, I am in the film room and do a lot with player development,” Wilmont said. “My goals and dreams are obviously to coach at the highest level possible. Myself and my family wise, I thought this was the best decision.”

Lakewood Park started Wilmont’s lone season at 5-0 and picked up notable wins throughout the year over Canterbury, Concordia Lutheran and Leo; led often by News-Sentinel All-Area player Keegan Fetters. They lost in the morning round of Regional play, 66-50, to Oregon-Davis.

Wilmont is unsure at this time of his future with the Flite, who beat the Indianapolis Blaze 95-92 in May to win the CBA title.  “I just really believe that I have been blessed that every program I have put my hands on, I have had success in coaching. I think I have a gift in understanding players and get them to respond to me,” he said.

Dan Vance - Fort Wayne News-Sentinel

Rod Wilmont no longer the boys basketball coach at Lakewood ParkFormer Indiana University player says he will continue his coaching career elsewhere

Rod Wilmont will no longer be the boys basketball coach at Lakewood Park Christian, the school confirmed. Wilmont leaves the Panther program just one year after taking over the varsity team and leading them to the school’s first boys basketball Sectional title. He will now exit the program for a coaching job on a higher level, which he declined to comment on the specifics of at this time.

Wilmont’s Lakewood Park squad went 17-9 last season, culminating in a 77-75 win over Blackhawk Christian on March 4 in the sectional title game. The win gained a measure of revenge from a 75-68 loss earlier in the season. The 17 wins were the most for the Lakewood program since 2013 and matched a school record.

“It was a great experience going up there and helping those young men turn into winners. They’ve just got to believe in the system and hard work and that’s what they did last year,” Wilmont said.

As a senior at Indiana University in 2007, Wilmont set the school record for three-pointers in a game (9) before going on to play locally with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants and shuffling into the coaching world as an assistant with the Mad Ants and at both Canterbury and Bishop Luers high schools.

But even when he took the job at Lakewood Park prior to last season, Wilmont was clear about higher aspirations coaching, some of which came to fruition in his years coaching the Fort Wayne Flite, a minor league team in the Central Basketball Association.

During this past summer, Wilmont’s name was constantly thrown around regarding job openings at South Side and Bishop Luers, but nothing came of those openings.

“I was interested; I thought those were two great jobs and they chose to go in other directions,” Wilmont said while noting he can understand the drawbacks of him to high school athletic directors. “I think a lot of it had to do with my aspirations. A lot of schools were looking for long term coaches.”

While Wilmont was unable to discuss the specifics of his new opportunity at this time, he does know that it is a step in the right direction for a coaching career his is passionate about.

“I work my butt off, I am in the film room and do a lot with player development,” Wilmont said. “My goals and dreams are obviously to coach at the highest level possible. Myself and my family wise, I thought this was the best decision.”

Lakewood Park started Wilmont’s lone season at 5-0 and picked up notable wins throughout the year over Canterbury, Concordia Lutheran and Leo; led often by News-Sentinel All-Area player Keegan Fetters. They lost in the morning round of Regional play, 66-50, to Oregon-Davis.

Wilmont is unsure at this time of his future with the Flite, who beat the Indianapolis Blaze 95-92 in May to win the CBA title.  “I just really believe that I have been blessed that every program I have put my hands on, I have had success in coaching. I think I have a gift in understanding players and get them to respond to me,” he said.

Good for Rod.

Always liked him but if theres ever been a worse finisher in basketball I haven't seen them yet.He absolutely could not hit a wide open layup.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

Well what do you know --

Meet the 2018-19 Goshen College Men's Basketball Staff. Head Coach - Jon Tropf,  Assistant Coach - Luke Brenneman,  Assistant Coach - Rod Wilmont,  Reserve Team Coach/Assistant Coach - Trevor Commissaris