Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Chips&Dipo

"Tradition" for IUMBB

That's always bugged me too. We're just now re-adopting cream and crimson, but I think it should've been that all along. It looks amazing if used correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't see why we need to go back to Crimson. There aren't any other teams with "red" as one of their colors in the Big Ten right?

[quote name="JetpackJunky" post="79389" timestamp="1408481550"]I don't see why we need to go back to Crimson. There aren't any other teams with "red" as one of their colors in the Big Ten right?[/quote]

Ha.

But I was really more talking about the cream part of it I guess. I think I'm just taking crimson (red) for granted.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

As a 16 year old kid I know that other kids like the newest coolest stuff. The Oregon jerseys for example not everyone likes Oregon but they have cool stuff and it's a big draw for kids. I'm on board for new unis as long as it gets us recruits. But no changing the candy stripes those are really popular and never should be altered

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBannersu

[quote name="All_Hoosiers" post="79387" timestamp="1408481039"]I love alternate uniforms to wear a couple times a year.

I really don't see it as a big deal, but tradition means more to others so I get why some despise any change the uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote] Alternate unis are ideal in my opinion. To those saying our unis don't hurt us, you're right. The point I made earlier though is that it can only help us with recruiting to add some modern flair occasionally.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I love this topic, I have mentioned this for the last couple of years. To be honest, our uni's have gradually changed. In Tom Crean's second year, we changed uniforms. We cleaned up the neck line of the jersey and changed the font to a lil bit smaller lettering. The jersey's that we wear now I like a lot. Would i be ok with change? Yes I would. In this day in age, many teams have an alternate jersey, this is where I'd like to see IU go. Or change the home and away jersey, and keep the jersey that we have had forever as the alternate.

So many teams that have just as much tradition as us change their uniform all while honoring tradition. Mich St, Kansas, Duke, UCLA, and others have all changed the concept of their Uniform, all while honoring something about a previous look, basically tweeking it.

Another big part of our look has to do with who licenses our goods. I would consider myself an expert on this because I always pay close attention to our jersey. When we went to the Championship game in 2001-2002 we were licensed by NIKE, and our red was more of a fire red, and we had an IU logo on the neck line. If you you look at my avatar of Tom Crean this is an example of that jersey, then when Denim Shirt took over we went over to Adidas, actually even before him, and our colors changed slightly, as did our neck line, as well as incorperating a big oversized American Flag on our jersey. The rumor that I keep hearing is that when the contract expires from Adidas, which I believe is 2015 that IU is looking to change Vendors again, and this time go with the Jordan Brand. In my opinion, that would be a smart move and one would expect our jersey to change slightly, and we'd probably offer more as to what some are wanting; IE more options, better shoes, different warmups, more options.

As of right now in NCAA Men Basketball, NIKE is the best as far as top money grosser and most of the big schools are with them. Jordan Brand is also very big and gaining more traction. Adidas is somewhat down. Then there are others like Under Armor and some smaller Licensed Vendors. If it were me, I'd go back to Nike or Jordan Brand and just give the kids and fans more options, and become more attractive to recruits.

I like the idea of alternate jerseys. Seems like the most agreeable position to keep both sides of the spectrum happy.

To broaden debate however, I mean change from tradition in the most general sense. People were pissed that they put the B1G logo on the courts (noted now know one notices) and people hated that the changed the name of assembly hall to simon skjody assembly hall...even though the family donated millions and millions of dollars (keep in mind that the simon family has IU grads).

And I don't buy the whole "conservative" argument. there are plenty of places in Kentucky and North Carolina that haven't changed since Ike.

I have been an IU basketball fan for more than 50 years. Our uniforms have changed over time, as well they should. Just look at pictures of the 60's and 70's teams! I think the real debate should be about how much change we want. Minor or radical?

I am in favor of keeping at least two traditions: the Cream and Crimson colors and the no-name jerseys. Both of those traditions mean something to our program. "Cream and Crimson" are our official colors. The colors are different than the white and red that a lot of other teams have. The no-name jerseys represent the concept that IU's team is more than just individual players. That's a concept worth displaying on the court. Other than those traditions, I am open to changes in the uniforms. And I think the alternative uniforms can be fun. Some are awful, but if it's just for a few games, who cares?

This!!!!!

Put names on the jerseys, change the style, etc., I don't care as long as we're winning. I don't condone cheating, bad academics or anything like that, but beyond that, just win. Just win.

Ahh I remember when we talked about this a few months ago. That was an interesting conversation. Long story short. IU's only tradition that matters is winning. Once upon a time the candy stripes and all that stuff wasn't tradition either. Slap pink and purple on the guys for all I care as long as we get back to winning. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Another big part of our look has to do with who licenses our goods. I would consider myself an expert on this because I always pay close attention to our jersey. When we went to the Championship game in 2001-2002 we were licensed by NIKE, and our red was more of a fire red, and we had an IU logo on the neck line. If you you look at my avatar of Tom Crean this is an example of that jersey...

Didn't know Crean was a ginger, haha :D

I've said it a few times on here, I want the script Indiana on the back of the warmups as the font on the home and away. Keep the tradition with something to make the uniform a more modern look.