Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Chips&Dipo

"Tradition" for IUMBB

I just saw a tweet that ND got new away and home football jerseys and it got me thinking...

Kentucky, North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, MSU... all of these College Basketball programs that are rich in tradition, some going back almost a hundred years, have been willing to adapt and change some aspects surrounding their team with the times. For whatever reason, people in Indiana throw their arms in the air anytime anyone suggests changing something (I mean people were whining and moaning about the B1G tournament jerseys that EVERYONE HAD TO WEAR). My question is this, why?

Why not allow the basketball team to get new flashy jerseys to possibly get recruits or to increase revenue to improve facilities? I am not suggesting getting rid of the classic warm ups or changing anything too drastic, in fact I am not suggesting anything at all. I am just wondering why Indiana fans are so hesitant to change anything about IU basketball?

In a word, tradition. Basketball means more in Indiana. There is something comforting about our "old school " unis. (Those tourney unis were hideous IMHO ). This is a weird analogy, but its sort of like people who don't have tattoos are more unique than all who do.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree. Candy striped and warm ups are here to stay forever. Just as Martha will always be a part of the pregame intro. But let's get with the times. Give the players new jerseys. It's an easy way to build hype in recruiting. It'll also bolster apparel revenue opportunities for the program

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I think it is because Hoosiers are conservative. Not necessarily in a political way but in the more general meaning of the word.

Webster's defines "conservative" as "tending to preserve established traditions or institutions and to resist or oppose any changes in these". In the main, IU fans value traditions. We cling to what we know and love. Whether that is a good or bad thing is a matter of personal opinion. I like our traditions because I think they make IU distinctive. All around us, society is discarding tradition for the newest fads but we hold on to our history here. We value what came before us and try preserve it.

As long as the topic is "tradition", what exactly are our colors? Cream and crimson? Red and white? Variations of both? I would like to see this issue addressed by the AD so athletes of all IU's teams can wear the same colors.

ehhh i love the old school tradition and how much it means to IU basketball, but tradition can only get us so far, we havent put up another banner since '87. Not saying jerseys will magically make us win championships, but idk where im going with this but i think a little change would be great, but i fear it would cause riots in btown......literally. 

[quote name="Greyghost" post="79367" timestamp="1408471144"]As long as the topic is "tradition", what exactly are our colors? Cream and crimson? Red and white? Variations of both? I would like to see this issue addressed by the AD so athletes of all IU's teams can wear the same colors.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

That's always bugged me too. We're just now re-adopting cream and crimson, but I think it should've been that all along. It looks amazing if used correctly.

Ahh I remember when we talked about this a few months ago. That was an interesting conversation.

Long story short. IU's only tradition that matters is winning. Once upon a time the candy stripes and all that stuff wasn't tradition either. Slap pink and purple on the guys for all I care as long as we get back to winning.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm all for new up to date warm ups, cool alternate jerseys, and names on the back of the jerseys. That's what kids want these days. They don't care about Indiana's tradition. Give the kids what they want. Just win baby!<br /><br />Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BtownBanners mobile app<br /><br />

The "new" home/away jerseys for ND football are just a different brand (UA instead of Adidas) the colors and scheme are the same as they have been for years.  The only one that's really different is for their Shamrock series, which would be like us having an alternate we use one time a year.  Link

I don't see how our old school uniforms are hurting us.  They don't make you win or lose, so they're not the reason we haven't won a championship since 1987, and they certainly didn't seem to be hurting us on the recruiting trail.  We've used those designs for so long they've become part of Indiana basketball, they make us stand out from the crowd.  And to be honest I literally couldn't care less what UK or MSU or any of them do, is that Nike sweat stain uni an improvement?  Not hardly.

I signed up, created a username and password and activated this account just to say... NO. No new jerseys. No new warm ups and for the glory of old IU please no names on the backs.

Why do I feel this way? A better question is, why wouldn't I feel this way.

This is the perfect example of what I hate. You didn't answer anything. You just posted your opinion and basically said it is the only opinion that matters, which is incredibly patronizing. I basically agree and like our unis, but we had two national titles before the candy striped pants, so why did we add those? Just win some games. I'll get over it if we change the uniforms. But we will never make a complete change because there are too many stodgy old white guys afraid of change for no really good reason who donate to the AD.

This is the perfect example of what I hate. You didn't answer anything. You just posted your opinion and basically said it is the only opinion that matters, which is incredibly patronizing. I basically agree and like our unis, but we had two national titles before the candy striped pants, so why did we add those? Just win some games. I'll get over it if we change the uniforms. But we will never make a complete change because there are too many stodgy old white guys afraid of change for no really good reason who donate to the AD.

Is it only the white ones?