Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2017) SF/PF Malik Williams to UofL

Fort Wayne. Ind., 2017 center Malik Williams finished his AAU career Saturday with Louisville's Rick Pitino front and center for both games

1283261.jpg?w=50&h=50&faces=true
Jody Demling
Yesterday at 7:44 PM

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - Fort Wayne, Ind., Snider High School center Malik Williams finished his summer with Team Legit on Saturday at the AAU Super Showcase. Louisville coach Rick Pitino was in attendance for both games.

Malik Williams finished his summer like he's played most of it - on a high note.

The 7-foot center from Fort Wayne, Ind., combined for 55 points, 27 rebounds, 11 blocked shots, 10 assists and five steals in two games for Team Legit, who finished the week 5-3 at the AAU Super Showcase.

Team Legit lost to Team Final in the championship of the 11th Grade Gold Division consolation bracket.

"I've had a lot of fun with these guys," said Williams, who has played with Team Legit since the fifth grade and turned down a number of shoe-sponsored teams who wanted him to play for them. "It's just a great feeling for me. We didn't finish like we wanted too, but we still had a great, great, great AAU season.

"It's real special. These guys are all like my brothers."

University of Louisville coach Rick Pitino was in attendance for both games and the Cardinals' staff didn't miss a game where Williams was playing the entire summer. Indiana coach Tom Crean was the only other head coach in attendance on Saturday.

Williams is considering U of L, Indiana, Michigan State, Iowa, Purdue and several others. Williams confirmed after the game that he "didn't have a plan right now," for how he will make a decision.

"I'll probably cut my list soon," he said. "But I'm not sure right now."

Team Legit coach Juan Gorman said his team was "special" and that Williams was "very loyal," for sticking with the team. The team finished the summer with a 20-7 overall record.

"That says a lot about Malik because now a days there's not much loyalty," Gorman said. "That says a lot about the kid."

1 hour ago, hoosierpap said:

Sort of interesting timing but probably best from an Indiana perspective. As Wayne mentioned, things had been trending this way after UL's push this April and July.

We can stop wasting our time chasing this particular rainbow and maybe for the most part we already had.  Always wondered when a coach sees the writing on the wall and continues the recruiting effort but on a much less concerted effort in order to devote resources in another more promising direction.

We can stop wasting our time chasing this particular rainbow and maybe for the most part we already had.  Always wondered when a coach sees the writing on the wall and continues the recruiting effort but on a much less concerted effort in order to devote resources in another more promising direction.

This is something that, I feel, Crean is particularly poor at handling. I try not to criticize the guy too much but he doesn't gauge this well, imo. Best for things to just end in some cases

This is something that, I feel, Crean is particularly poor at handling. I try not to criticize the guy too much but he doesn't gauge this well, imo. Best for things to just end in some cases

Ray Spalding recruitment and Goodluck really come to mind. Especially Spalding. We spent all July and tons of resources. Committed right after to UL.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

48 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ray Spalding recruitment and Goodluck really come to mind. Especially Spalding. We spent all July and tons of resources. Committed right after to UL.

Spalding is a good example. I think some weird stuff outside of Crean's control happened with in Goodluck's recruitment.  I suppose they got an in-home with Zimmerman but I knew that was a looonnggg shot for quite sometime. Weird last spring push for Swanigan when I promise that wasn't happening. The list goes on and on. But the list goes the other way, as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the board who knows Crean frustrates the hell out of his assistants by just pulling off targets he's had the assistants on for quite sometime. New plan, new direction. Weird stuff. 

Spalding is a good example. I think some weird stuff outside of Crean's control happened with in Goodluck's recruitment.  I suppose they got an in-home with Zimmerman but I knew that was a looonnggg shot for quite sometime. Weird last spring push for Swanigan when I promise that wasn't happening. The list goes on and on. But the list goes the other way, as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the board who knows Crean frustrates the hell out of his assistants by just pulling off targets he's had the assistants on for quite sometime. New plan, new direction. Weird stuff. 

Theo Pinson? Think he was always staying home but we spent a ton of time on him.

Bryant Crawford? Seemed like he was ours but then backed off even before Kenny Johnson left.

Maybe you've explained before and I missed it but I really want to know what went wrong with Devin Robinson

Look at it way though...those mentioned above Goodluck, Swannigan etc...nothing I've seen makes them any better than what we got instead. Looks like a team personality and what Cream likes, don't necessarily match those players. Out of the instate 4...Williams was my last on my list.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using BtownBanners mobile app

Look at it way though...those mentioned above Goodluck, Swannigan etc...nothing I've seen makes them any better than what we got instead. Looks like a team personality and what Cream likes, don't necessarily match those players. Out of the instate 4...Williams was my last on my list.

Not that we didn't get them but that Crean and crew spent significant time, in most cases, chasing someone they knew they couldn't land. It goes back to hard headed Crean without a solid plan in place.

There's any questions that Crean is a relentless worker and he expects the same from his staff. However, if Crean and company were a little more efficient would they yield better results???

Agreed. But also like when I see all of these "final 5" schools list in tons of top recruits that have us listed. Yes, we will be passed on by a many, but others start seeing this and saying IU is got something going on and triggers might start pulling!

Shotgun vs. Sniper Rifle. Recruiting approach.

That's why it's so important to start landing our plan A's, I've been saying this for years.

That being said I realize when you shoot for the stars, you have to have back up plans. I just hope we realize sooner when our efforts are in vain.

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Shotgun vs. Sniper Rifle. Recruiting approach.

That's why it's so important to start landing our plan A's, I've been saying this for years.

That being said I realize when you shoot for the stars, you have to have back up plans. I just hope we realize sooner when our efforts are in vain.

I've been more confused with timing over the past several years as opposed to who we've landed.

1 hour ago, NoahW35 said:

Theo Pinson? Think he was always staying home but we spent a ton of time on him.

Bryant Crawford? Seemed like he was ours but then backed off even before Kenny Johnson left.

Maybe you've explained before and I missed it but I really want to know what went wrong with Devin Robinson

Pinson was open to leaving. I think UNC just pulled that one off. Crawford is one that I'm talking about with the latter statement. There were a few others, Va Tech commit. Drove KJ bonkers. Money is always an issue there was more going on there. 

In Crean's defense, I really do think he has changed in a lot of ways.