Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Sam Travis - Boston Red Sox Org

From The Boston Globe

SAM TRAVIS IS A THROWBACK TO ANOTHER (CAVEMAN) ERAm Travis is a throwback to another (caveman) era

CHICAGO — Sam Travis is known as “Caveman” around the Red Sox and it fits. The rookie first baseman doesn’t use batting gloves or wear a T-shirt under his jersey and his jaw is always covered with the early stages of a barbwire beard.

Travis intends to hit a baseball as hard as he can and style is not part of that equation.

The nickname also is a reflection of his personality. Travis doesn’t use three words when two will do. Much like the path his bat takes to the ball, Travis gets to the point.

But Travis was almost smiling on Tuesday night after going 3 for 4 with two doubles and three runs scored against the White Sox in a game the Red Sox won, 13-7.

“It definitely was special,” he said. “I had a lot of family out here. But at the end of the day, it all counts the same. I’m not going to make a bigger deal out of it than it is.

“I just got to the big leagues. I don’t have a lot to compare it to.”

Travis was born in Chicago and raised in Orland Park, Ill., about 25 miles from Guaranteed Rate Field. He grew up a White Sox fan and loved to watch Frank Thomas.

“It’s awesome to get to play here. But it was just one game,” Travis said.

Through four games since being called up, Travis is 5 of 11 with two doubles, a walk, and five runs scored. The Red Sox have been impressed.

“There’s a calmness in there that’s pretty rare for a young guy just getting his major career underway,” manager John Farrell said before Wednesday’s 4-1 win over the White Sox.

“It’s even acknowledged by some of the guys across the field. You hear some of the comments on the field, ‘Wow, this kid’s only got 10 plate appearances in the big leagues? It doesn’t look that way.’ There’s a high level of comfort for him in the box.”

With Baltimore expected to start lefthander Wade Miley on Thursday, Travis will be back in the lineup.

The question then becomes whether Travis can get enough at-bats to merit staying in the major leagues. Once Dustin Pedroia returns from the disabled list, there will be a roster squeeze.

But Travis does give the Sox a much deeper and more dangerous bench.

“He impacts the baseball,” Farrell said. “There’s hard contact. It’s great to see him take what he showed us in two spring trainings and now you’re into the regular season and it’s still there.

“It’s not like he’s been exposed [by] a breaking ball or off-speed pitch. That comes from his ability to see the ball and understand where his strike zone ends and not expand beyond that.”

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

1B @DoctorChill6 has been recalled from AAA to the @RedSox.

Its good to hear he's back but also that he went back down to get some playing time. I think the Pink Sox faced 12-13 righties in a row which would've inhibited his progress had he stayed on the bench for 2-3 weeks and grown moss.

17 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Sam Travis was just optioned to Triple-A by the Red Sox.  He led the team in homers (6) and RBIs (17) this spring.  But the team already has two veterans who play first base.  His path is blocked, for now.

I hope he gets traded so 1) He gets a chance to play regularly in the Majors and 2) I don't have to root for anyone on the stupid Sawx.