Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Aaron Slegers - LA Angels

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Niko Goodrum drove in Zack Granite with a sacrifice fly in the first inning, leading the Rochester Red Wings to a 4-2 win over the Buffalo Bisons in the second game of a doubleheader on Monday.

Rochester right-hander Aaron Slegers (7-4, 4.08) picked up the win after allowing two runs on seven hits over five innings. 

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2017_06_26_rocaaa_bufaaa_2&t=g_rcp&sid=milb

Red Wings pitcher Slegers finds confidence and stats rising to new levels

Red Wings right-handed pitcher Aaron Slegers stands out in the starting rotation for a number of reasons and not just because he towers over everyone on the diamond at 6-feet 10-inches tall.

The 24 year-old Arizona-native has been dominant his past 10 games before the International League All-Star break, posting a 6-1 record with a 3.34 ERA with 45 strikeouts over 62 innings, thus flirting with the possibility of being “call-up worthy” to the Minnesota Twins.

Oh, yeah, and it’s just his first year of Triple-A ball.

“You just see so many more veteran hitters on a regular basis (in Triple-A),” the Indiana University product said about the differences in the minor leagues. “There’s tremendous raw talent in Double-A. A lot of that talent is in their early 20s and they have that ‘prospect’ label, and you maybe see one or two guys in the lineup with big-league service time. In Triple-A it’s almost half (the team’s lineup) and sometimes you get an MLB-veteran with five years (experience), and that’s been an adjustment.”

Slegers adjustment had to do with consistency early on in the season but has found a comfort zone thanks to his strengths.

“I’m a different look for a hitter,” said Slegers, the Twins fifth-round pick in the 2013 draft. “Not too many guys are 6-foot-10 … I might be the only guy. It’s a different look and a high release point. I’m going to throw strikes, I’m going to go after you with my fastball, my slider and change-up.”

It's the change-up that Slegers attributes to his recent success, and it has developed rapidly.

“(Pitching coach) Stu Cliburn and I have been working on the change-up a lot to get hitters off my fastball,” Slegers said. “I’m not a power pitcher. I pitch to contact and I’m a low-90s fastball guy; anything we can do to get hitters off the fastball.”

The Red Wings entered the All-Star Break with 117 roster moves, including a lot of call-ups and injury assignments for the pitching staff. In comparison, Rochester made 124 moves in all of 2016.

“A month ago I heard I was the only pitcher in the starting rotation without a transaction,” Slegers said. “I’ve been the only consistent starter in the rotation … I’ve really had to stick with what I could control and sticking to my process.”

Being without a transaction on the season isn’t a bad thing. In fact, Slegers has capitalized on the fact there have been a number of his teammates spending time bouncing up and down from the majors.

“There has been a lot of experience that’s come through,” Slegers said. “Kyle Gibson comes to mind; he was here for 15 or 20 days and I was practically his shadow following him around in the video room and following him in the bullpen. There’s so much experience there and any little tip he could give me has been really awesome.”

Despite teammates moving up and down, Slegers maintains his focus on what he can control.

“I try not to think about (a call-up),” said Slegers, who is 9-4 overall with a 3.75 ERA in 96 innings — the most on the Red Wings by almost two full games' worth of innings. “That’s the ultimate goal, of course, and I’ve already lost a roommate to it in Trevor Hildenberger. He’s crushing it up there and it’s so much fun to watch. But in terms of my own transaction I don’t think about it all and I try to keep my mind in the short term.”

If Slegers was to get a call-up he would be tied for the second-tallest pitcher in MLB history behind 6-foot-11 former Nationals reliever Jon Rauch who made his last appearance in 2013 for the Miami Marlins.

“When you start looking at your transactions and things you can’t control, that’s when things start to slip and get out of control. If you just worry about what you can control things really do work out.”