Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hoosier Cowboy

Do we focus too much on kids wanting to go to the NBA instead of wanting to win?

Isn't that what most kids want, to be part oo a winning program? Isn't that why they go to Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU, OSU, Arizona.
, etc?

To be a postseadon staple for four years or however many years they decide to stay seems to be the historical reason why the best players choose to play basketball for a particular school.

Win on the court and they will come. If you have talent, the NBA will find you.

The NBA has proven they can find these top kids and make them successful without college. Some just need a year or two of extra development and then college is great. We can either get on board, or get left behind.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

News flash: They all want to be in the NBA, most aren't good enough to make it but that doesn't mean they don't want to be there.

Of course they sll would like to make the NBA.

But they slso want to be part of a winning program. Everyone does. Who wants to stsy home in march?

We get thst Crean can get kids to the NBA. Who gives a rip if he cant even make the damn NIT with elite players?

[quote name="Hoosier Cowboy" post="70987" timestamp="1403224419"]Of course they sll would like to make the NBA.

But they slso want to be part of a winning program. Everyone does. Who wants to stsy home in march?

We get thst Crean can get kids to the NBA. Who gives a rip if he cant even make the damn NIT with elite players?[/quote]

You're throwing me off. Just when I think your A key isn't working you surprise me with that letter in the next couple words. Oh you trickster, you got me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Great thread!

Call me old fashioned, but I am most interested in recruiting players who have an interest in becoming part of the fabric of Indiana University, not SOLELY using the program as a stepping stone to the NBA. I highlight solely because I think it's fantastic when they realize their NBA dreams, but I hope that there are many more dynamics at play beyond solely getting to the NBA.. 

In other words, Vic and Cody were "dream come true" additions to the program. I appreciate that Noah and Eric Gordon are high quality people and excellent players, but they aren't in the same tier.

However, Eric Gordon's continued connection to the University and the bball program is about as good as it gets for a one-and-done.

Great thread!

Call me old fashioned, but I am most interested in recruiting players who have an interest in becoming part of the fabric of Indiana University, not SOLELY using the program as a stepping stone to the NBA. I highlight solely because I think it's fantastic when they realize their NBA dreams. 

In other words, Vic and Cody were "dream come true" additions to the program. I appreciate that Noah and Eric Gordon are high quality people, but they aren't in the same tier of what type of mindset I personally am hoping for. 

I'm right there with you.  well said.