Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
JaybobHoosier

Fitness Thread

Actually looking for a new routine. One that focuses more on fat burn and muscle toning. Right now I'm on a three day weight lifting routine of back/bis, chest/tris, and legs/shoulders. I also do an abs and running after each workout with a day or two off each week.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I have a new called Fitbit it is fairly new in that it counts the number of steps you have taken in day, it counts how far you have walked, you can track your sleep and it will give tell you what your sleep pattern is like, you can track your exercise activity, and also what you eat it is kind of interesting.

Post my competive sports age I took up running as exercise. I run 30 miles a week or so. Do mini marathons. Love it. Haven't done a full one yet.

I love the mapmyfitness app to keep track of times and compete with myself.

I am taking a break currently as I have tendonitis or a metatarsal stress fracture. Hate not being able to run :(

I've been doing something called Tabata since May. It's basically interval training you can do at home. For example, I'll do it with running. You sprint all out for 20 seconds then walk for 10. Sprint for 20 then walk for 10. Sounds easy but after 8 reps or 4 minutes, you're spent. I then walk another two miles then do another Tabata 4 minute session. There's a few free music tracks you can download that helps you out. I've also done the same format with planks and push-ups. You can basically do it with anything. I'm 44 now so this is more feasible for me since my heavy lifting days are over ;-) It's supposed to spike metabolism/fat burning along with toning. I'm happy with it so far. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Tabata is the real deal. I'm about 6 weeks into a tabata weight training program and the results are awesome. Great for fat burning and despite the lighter weights to accommodate the high number of reps, the toning aspect has far exceeded my expectations.

The only drawback was trying to keep the 20/10 time splits while doing the routines. My workout buddy is a younger muscle-head and was always losing track of time while flexing in the mirror :(. I finally shelled out $20 for a thing called gymbuddy to keep the splits for me.

I'm trying to get back into running. I used to run cross country, and loved it. The most I've ever ran at one time was 10 miles. It was for a fundraiser, and finished at a respectable time. I'm more of a long distance runner, and my 3.1 mile pace was only a few seconds quicker than my 10 mile pace. I averaged about a 6:00 mile during my 3.1 mile races, and finished around a 6:10 mile pace during the 10 mile run.

I doubt I ever get back to that pace, but I'm hoping to get back to a 7 minute per mile pace by the end of July.

Sent from my DROID4 using BtownBanners mobile app

I'd be into that. Like Jaybob used to run cross country/track in high school in 1980 and am back running this. I usually put in 3-4 miles on a Saturday with about a 9:30 pace. Morning running for me is way easier than in the middle of the day.

I just got a Garmin 220 that helps track miles, time and pace. I have wanted one for years as I used to get in the car and drive the route to see how far it was.

I also do an eliptical for 30 minutes every other day. I am old school so I don't even used an Ipod while running but a lot of people say it helps.

I'd be into that. Like Jaybob used to run cross country/track in high school in 1980 and am back running this. I usually put in 3-4 miles on a Saturday with about a 9:30 pace. Morning running for me is way easier than in the middle of the day.
I just got a Garmin 220 that helps track miles, time and pace. I have wanted one for years as I used to get in the car and drive the route to see how far it was.

I also do an eliptical for 30 minutes every other day. I am old school so I don't even used an Ipod while running but a lot of people say it helps.

Funny, I used to do same thing with car. I now use mapmyfitness app and pandora app on my IPhone. It definitely helps. I love knowing pace and distance. I usually run 7:00 pace for 2-3 miles, 7:30 for 4-5 miles, and about 8 to 8:15 for 5-13 miles.

[quote name="jurkinonthecourt" post="70752" timestamp="1403046714"]Actually looking for a new routine. One that focuses more on fat burn and muscle toning. Right now I'm on a three day weight lifting routine of back/bis, chest/tris, and legs/shoulders. I also do an abs and running after each workout with a day or two off each week.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.[/quote]

Ever tried swimming? I started training for a Tri years ago and swimming became a must workout for me. Absolutely love every aspect of it. TOTAL BODY. You feel it for days lol.

Also recently bought a waterproof headset& mp3 convo which is awesome to listen to music while swimming. Makes the laps go by so much faster.

I've been doing crossfit for about the last 10 months now, never felt better.  I'm 29 and feel like I did when I played sports in high school.  

I know crossfit gets a lot of bad press on the internet and what not, but I love it, and couldn't be happier with the results.  It's a great community, and it is a hard core workout.  Sucks while you are going through it, but it feels amazing when you finish and can see improvements in the workouts.