Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Tre Roberson - Chicago Bears

I petitioned and got a 6th year after using a normal redshirt and a medical redshirt. I was going to walk-on onto the IU track team while pursuing my Masters degree but decided not to when they overhauled the track team coaching staff. I'm not sure how often it happens though.

I know ND had a receiver like 9 or 10 years ago get the 6th year, but he'd already used his redshirt and got hurt very early in his 5th year.  I haven't heard of it happening often, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention either.

It is a guess, but I am thinking Sudfield finally won the starting job. It hurts from a depth perception but I like Suds better as a starter. Some starting stability will help. Seems awfully late to transfer, which makes me think strongly he lost the Spring QB battle.

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="70048" timestamp="1402524448"]It is a guess, but I am thinking Sudfield finally won the starting job. It hurts from a depth perception but I like Suds better as a starter. Some starting stability will help. Seems awfully late to transfer, which makes me think strongly he lost the Spring QB battle.[/quote]

Definitely possible. Seemed like he was the starter during the spring and something would have to go really wrong for a starter to transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="OliviaPope40" post="70054" timestamp="1402526043"]Let's not forget that Tre was good in the red zone more than Nate was.[/quote] true he might have just wanted to play more than in the red zone

Sent from my XT1050 using BtownBanners mobile app

If I had to guess I would say Sudfeld beat him out, and now Tre wants to find someplace where he can go start at. Not like Tre was a cancer or anything, but I call this addition by subtraction, now Sudfeld won't have to look over his shoulder all the time wondering if he messes up will Tre be put in the game. 

I really believe it is the playing time. Decision/timing was late, but he may have gotten some last minute news on some 1AA schools. Valdosta State comes to mind. High profile program at that level. Suds doesn't have to worry about getting yanked as often now, so it may benefit him in his zone reads.

I am excited to see what Sudfeld can do with a full season under center.  I will miss having Tre on roster as I think he could've been really really good this year and provided a great security blanket in case of injury but I personally feel like Sudfeld fits better with what Wilson wants to do offensively.  I hope Tre finds the right spot and excels.

This is just one of those situations where you wish you could trade in college sports.  Would love to have traded Tre for a quality defensive player.  

Nate the Great!!!!

I'll bet that Tre lost the job in Spring ball.  I wish him luck as he was nothing but a stand-up student-athlete for IU! 

Now it's Nate's team.  As mentioned above, addition by subtraction IMO.  We have the running-back corp to off-set a drop-back QB now so there is no need to rely on a running QB. 

Best of luck Tre!  GO HOOSIERS!!!!!!!

I'm not surprised that he's transferring... these guys want to play and the 2-QB system doesn't jive with everyone. It seems that after spring practice, Tre realized that he was again going to be the back-up/relief QB and felt it better to use his last 2 years of eligibility somewhere where he can be the man.

It's pretty late in the game to transfer but he will have to sit out this year and I'm sure he can find a new home where he can compete for that starting spot.

Best of luck to him, and now IU fans can move forward knowing that this is Nate Sudfeld's offense now. Like someone said before, he can definitely put up monster numbers now that he's not sharing snaps. 

That was pretty quick. Wonder how long that was in the works prior to the announcement.

Sent from the can using BtownBanners

Had to have been worked out. No problem, seems like hes just making a good decision for what he wants to do. All the best Tre, you're forever a Hoosier here!

I think they should have given Roberson the job personally. He showed why in the spring game by being a huge threat through the air and on the ground. I went to all home games last year and I think they were using him wrong... For example in last years ISU game he went out there and did 3 running plays and one pass and got taken out. He is a dual threat QB with a solid arm and I hope that Illinois St. doesn't solely use him as a red zone and running threat.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBannersu

I think they should have given Roberson the job personally. He showed why in the spring game by being a huge threat through the air and on the ground. I went to all home games last year and I think they were using him wrong... For example in last years ISU game he went out there and did 3 running plays and one pass and got taken out. He is a dual threat QB with a solid arm and I hope that Illinois St. doesn't solely use him as a red zone and running threat.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBannersu

You sure you aren't talking about the Navy game? He threw the ball 6 times, had 5 runs for himself, and was quarterback for a few other plays for the ISU game. I thought he played a little into the second quarter of the ISU game. The Navy game he got yanked immediately.

I do agree about how they used him. Said it every week last season, wasn't until the last 2 games or so that they actually seemed to let him run the offense outside of a read option

If this coaching staff were comprised of anyone other than Wilson and company, I'd be concerned. As it is, whether it's Sudfield or one of the youngsters, we'll be alright on that side of the ball. Even with Tre leaving, it still leaves more questions on defense than offense.