Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hwy 1

B1G tourney headed to DC in 2017

"The Big Ten will hold its 2017 men's basketball tournament at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C., the league will announce Tuesday, marking the first time the event, which began in 1998, will be played outside of Indianapolis or Chicago.

The announcement fits with the league's larger initiative to plant roots on the East Coast, what with Rutgers' and Maryland's impending arrival on July 1.

"We don't just want to visit here, we want to live here," Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said of the Northeast. "This was our first opportunity to do that. We think it's a wonderful opportunity for not just Maryland, but for expatriate Big Ten fans living on the East Coast to see great basketball in March."

The 2015 Big Ten tournament will be played at Chicago's United Center and the 2016 event at Indianapolis' Bankers Life Fieldhouse, at which point those venues will have hosted a combined 19 tourneys. No sites have been set beyond 2017. However, Delany indicated the event will start moving around more frequently much like the ACC's, which is most commonly played in Greensboro, N.C., but will visit the Verizon Center in 2016 and Brooklyn's Barclays Center in 2017 and '18.

"My expectation is you'll see it moving among and between venues in the Midwest and Northeast," he said. "You've got to figure out a pattern. I expect that over the next 10 years you're going to see us in both regions of the country."

The Big Ten previously announced the opening of an office in New York City and a football partnership with the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium. The Verizon Center news follows Monday's announcement of the new Dave Gavitt Tipoff Games, a season-opening basketball challenge between the Big Ten and Big East beginning in 2015-16."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140505/big-ten-tournament-washington-d-c-verizon-center-2017/

I know change is inevitable, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I hate all of this conference realignment.

I absolutely hate it. We are already at 14... If we head east, how many teams are we gonna end up with? 20? Can't we just settle down and stop trying to expand. You just added two new teams, let the league settle for a little while they adjust to a new conference.

I absolutely hate it. We are already at 14... If we head east, how many teams are we gonna end up with? 20? Can't we just settle down and stop trying to expand. You just added two new teams, let the league settle for a little while they adjust to a new conference.

It's all about the $$$$$$$$$ More people, more cable boxes, more money.

This is kind of lame from a fan standpoint in my opinion. The majority of the B1G is in the Midwest so the only fans that stand to gain are east coast alumni and the new additions. New new additions are lame at best, sorry...

The B1G tourney should be alternated around central locations to the conference.

Happy to hear opinions otherwise, but this seems like we're (B1G) accommodating the new teams interests. Maryland and the other one should not be catered to.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Maybe we could be the first conference to play our tournament in London.

Or play on a cruise ship. Start the tournament in New York and 3-4 days later it ends in South Beach.

Unless you live in Maryland like me, then it's not lame :)

This is kind of lame from a fan standpoint in my opinion. The majority of the B1G is in the Midwest so the only fans that stand to gain are east coast alumni and the new additions. New new additions are lame at best, sorry...The B1G tourney should be alternated around central locations to the conference.Happy to hear opinions otherwise, but this seems like we're (B1G) accommodating the new teams interests. Maryland and the other one should not be catered to.Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Unless you live in Maryland like me, then it's not lame :)

Fair enough, I live in Northern California. It's not like I'm going to the games at this point anyway. I just hope to be able to watch them all, which I will.

[quote name="ashmgee" post="65504" timestamp="1399347106"]Fair enough, I live in Northern California. It's not like I'm going to the games at this point anyway. I just hope to be able to watch them all, which I will.[/quote]

Heard. I'm in Portland. Except I meet up with some alum friends each year for the tourney. At least I have family in the area so finally we all have to travel instead of just two of us.

I bet the Chicago kids will find some reason not to come. Jerks.

I'm gonna take it there.... We can't win in Bankers Life so I don't know why we are all so upset. Maybe a change of scenery isn't the worst thing?

Last time we lost in DC it was against Syracuse in the Verizon Center.

Monumentally stupid move. Did they not learn from the IU-PSU game at FedEx Field? So we are going to cater to fanbases that just joined for what? You joined OUR league. Congrats B1G, you will have such low attendance numbers it will be laughable. I'm sure Rutgers fans will show up in groves. Morons. 

Not to mention DC is an AWFUL city. It smells everywhere. Anywhere of significance such as memorials and museums are always packed to the brim. Homeless people don't take no for an answer. The public transportation is a toilet on tracks. Enjoy your cab rides in from Fairfax, VA every single day. Any decent part of that city is nowhere near the arena. That's why no one who roots for the Skins or Wizards actually lives in DC. It's a piece

It won't be long before the Whole tournament is in NY or DC ANNUALLY. It's sad, but money doesn't lie. I'll enjoy it while it's in Indy. Atleast some east coast Hoosiers fans will get a chance to see a game for cheaper. Maybe they will be louder than the crowds at BLF. I've always been disappointed with the crowds here anyway.

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="65534" timestamp="1399383648"]It won't be long before the Whole tournament is in NY or DC ANNUALLY. It's sad, but money doesn't lie. I'll enjoy it while it's in Indy. Atleast some east coast Hoosiers fans will get a chance to see a game for cheaper. Maybe they will be louder than the crowds at BLF. I've always been disappointed with the crowds here anyway.[/quote] I'm moving to NYC and I have a ton of friends who have all graduated and now work in NYC and DC. Hoosier nation travels and I know I'll be there. This could really help our East Coast recruiting.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.