Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Magnanimous

IU falsely accused of being 1 of 55 schools under investigation for Title IX violations

"The U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) released today a list of the higher education institutions under investigation for possible violations of federal law over the handling of sexual violence and harassment complaints."

Link here.

Other Big Ten schools on the list - Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan.

^^^^^^

"Indiana University responds to Department of Education claims of Title IX investigation

May 1, 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University has issued the following response to the Department of Education Office for Civil Rights' inclusion of the IU Bloomington campus on a list of institutions under "investigation" for possible violations of federal law regarding handling of sexual violence complaints:

"The U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in March initiated a routine compliance review of Indiana University Bloomington's handling of reports of sexual harassment, including sexual assault.

"This type of compliance review is distinct and separate from investigations that arise from complaints to OCR, and the office has confirmed that it has received no complaints against IU Bloomington that would have triggered an investigation.

"As OCR explained to campus officials, it is in the process of conducting compliance reviews on numerous campuses throughout the country, and individual institutions have been chosen randomly based on size, geographic location, type of campus community (commuter vs. residential) and other factors.

"The stated goal of the review is to help institutions determine areas for improvement under Title IX, and the university welcomes the opportunity to share its practices in this area and receive input that will help the Bloomington campus strengthen its work in this vitally important area.""

http://news.indiana.edu/releases/iu/2014/05/iu-responds-to-department-of-education-claims-of-title-ix-investigation.shtml

In the article, the OCR stated they were doing this in order to increase transparency and awareness which I agree with. But shouldn't they just release the list of schools that have received complaints from and are now investigating? This issue is terrible and transparency can go a long way to fixing it, but mishandling of information can be extremely damaging to the reputation and image of organizations who are fully compliant.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

In the article, the OCR stated they were doing this in order to increase transparency and awareness which I agree with. But shouldn't they just release the list of schools that have received complaints from and are now investigating? This issue is terrible and transparency can go a long way to fixing it, but mishandling of information can be extremely damaging to the reputation and image of organizations who are fully compliant.

If that is the case, as it appears that it is, then the headlines surrounding this story are terrible. ESPN (what else is new) and others are framing this as every school on this list has mishandled sexual assault cases and is currently under investigation.

[quote name="Magnamious" post="64764" timestamp="1398975763"]If that is the case, as it appears that it is, then the headlines surrounding this story are terrible. ESPN (what else is new) and others are framing this as every school on this list has mishandled sexual assault cases and is currently under investigation.[/quote] The curse of social media as a news source. It has created a need to be first and attract hits.

If that is the case, as it appears that it is, then the headlines surrounding this story are terrible. ESPN (what else is new) and others are framing this as every school on this list has mishandled sexual assault cases and is currently under investigation.

Speaking of headlines, how about we get the one for this thread changed since it is a bogus statement. I put a question mark on the thread title for Yogi's problems because it wasn't known for sure at the time if it was true or not. The minute it broke the title was changed by the mods to Yogi arrested. This thread title gives a false statement putting the school in a bad light. HOURs after it was shown to be false the thread title remains the same. What's up with that?

Speaking of headlines, how about we get the one for this thread changed since it is a bogus statement. I put a question mark on the thread title for Yogi's problems because it wasn't known for sure at the time if it was true or not. The minute it broke the title was changed by the mods to Yogi arrested. This thread title gives a false statement putting the school in a bad light. HOURs after it was shown to be false the thread title remains the same. What's up with that?

I can't change the title. Mods are going to have do that.

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="64890" timestamp="1398998522"]Speaking of headlines, how about we get the one for this thread changed since it is a bogus statement. I put a question mark on the thread title for Yogi's problems because it wasn't known for sure at the time if it was true or not. The minute it broke the title was changed by the mods to Yogi arrested. This thread title gives a false statement putting the school in a bad light. HOURs after it was shown to be false the thread title remains the same. What's up with that?[/quote]

I got you.

I can't change the title. Mods are going to have do that.

Actually you can. Use Full Edit mode on the original post and you can change the title. Don't feel bad about not knowing that. I figured it out accidentally, I had no idea and thought the mods had to do it too.   

[quote name="HoosierCoop" post="64918" timestamp="1399033215"]ESPN is starting to sound more and more like TMZ.

Are their ratings that bad that they have to start trash investigative reporting too?[/quote]

They're actually a lot alike. One major exception being TMZ puts out more correct info.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners