Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

Offensive Strategy For Our Guard-Heavy Lineup

SCHoosier made an excellent point: We need to address our very guard heavy offensive talent that will be featured next year.

In my opinion, the Hurryin' Hoosiers should be back.

Maybe even a modified version of Paul Westphal's Loyola Marymount run and gun squads.

Especially if Troy can become a threat from 3pt. territory.

What say you all?

We certainly need a strong press...Like the old Pitino days at pUKe had.  We should be able to run circles around most teams we face.

I'm not sure a press will be a featured part of it. We will need real size to protect the rim when the press is broken, and I don't think Hanner will last in that environment.

Everyone moving constantly on offense we can't get stagnant and ball watch a lot of drive and kick. On defense a three quarter court 1-3-1 trap switching will work well too since our speed will be even more of a factor this year Sent from my XT1050 using BtownBanners mobile app

Paul Westhead's Loyola Maramount Fast Break and Transition Offense System

- By Don Kelbick

The "Loyola Marymount" break was developed by Paul Westhead. Coach Westhead developed a reputation as a free thinker throughout his coaching career. While at LaSalle College in the 70s and 80s, his "0" defense gained widespread notoriety when it was learned that the defense was named because one defender was asked to play no (zero) defense. All he was expected to do was anticipate a steal or a shot and take off down the floor to the offensive end and look for the ball.

In the early 80s, he moved to Loyola Marymount University, where he developed a transition offense system that led to his teams being the highest scoring team in NCAA history.

As I mentioned before, it's not the pattern that makes the play, it is the philosophy. Coach Westhead's philosophy was that he wanted to get a shot up in less than 7 seconds. He tried to create such a frenetic pace, that the other team would just give up. Often they did, out of utter exhaustion.

I am not going to recommend to you that you adapt a similar philosophy. But, to enact that philosophy, Coach Westhead developed a break where its beauty was its simplicity. It featured numbered lanes and specific early cuts to follow ball reversal. By the time the ball was reversed, it had to be up at the basket. It is that simplicity that allows it to fit in with the half court offenses in this transition offense system.

The LMU break, like the Carolina Break, is a numbered break.

2 runs to the right corner.

3 runs to the left corner.

5 runs to the right block.

4 trails and goes to the left elbow.

1 advances the ball on the dribble as quickly as he can and tests the drive to the middle.

The first option all players have when they receive a pass is to shoot.

Westhead-1.gif

1 can headman the ball to either 2, 3, or 4.

The player's first option is to shoot.

Westhead-2.gif

If the ball is headmanned to the corner and he does not take a shot, he can look in to 5 in the low post or to 4 as the trailer.

Westhead-3.gif

If the pass goes to 4, it has changed sides of the court. Anytime the ball changes sides, the 5 man cuts block to block.

1 fills the wing.

4 looks to pass into 5 as he cuts.

Westhead-4.gif

4 can swing the ball to 3.

5 cuts block to block.

Westhead-5.gif

If 3 does not shoot, he looks into 5 on the block.

Westhead-6.gif

Read more: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/paul-westhead-fast-break-offense.html#ixzz2zfVZ4hBS

Drive and kick offense, high speed, up-temp and hopefully our guards can create some easy looks for our bigs down low, and hopefully Perea and April can knock down the mid-range jumper consistently. 

Paul Westhead's Loyola Maramount Fast Break and Transition Offense System

- By Don Kelbick

The "Loyola Marymount" break was developed by Paul Westhead. Coach Westhead developed a reputation as a free thinker throughout his coaching career. While at LaSalle College in the 70s and 80s, his "0" defense gained widespread notoriety when it was learned that the defense was named because one defender was asked to play no (zero) defense. All he was expected to do was anticipate a steal or a shot and take off down the floor to the offensive end and look for the ball.

In the early 80s, he moved to Loyola Marymount University, where he developed a transition offense system that led to his teams being the highest scoring team in NCAA history.

As I mentioned before, it's not the pattern that makes the play, it is the philosophy. Coach Westhead's philosophy was that he wanted to get a shot up in less than 7 seconds. He tried to create such a frenetic pace, that the other team would just give up. Often they did, out of utter exhaustion.

I am not going to recommend to you that you adapt a similar philosophy. But, to enact that philosophy, Coach Westhead developed a break where its beauty was its simplicity. It featured numbered lanes and specific early cuts to follow ball reversal. By the time the ball was reversed, it had to be up at the basket. It is that simplicity that allows it to fit in with the half court offenses in this transition offense system.

The LMU break, like the Carolina Break, is a numbered break.

2 runs to the right corner.

3 runs to the left corner.

5 runs to the right block.

4 trails and goes to the left elbow.

1 advances the ball on the dribble as quickly as he can and tests the drive to the middle.

The first option all players have when they receive a pass is to shoot.

Westhead-1.gif

1 can headman the ball to either 2, 3, or 4.

The player's first option is to shoot.

Westhead-2.gif

If the ball is headmanned to the corner and he does not take a shot, he can look in to 5 in the low post or to 4 as the trailer.

Westhead-3.gif

If the pass goes to 4, it has changed sides of the court. Anytime the ball changes sides, the 5 man cuts block to block.

1 fills the wing.

4 looks to pass into 5 as he cuts.

Westhead-4.gif

4 can swing the ball to 3.

5 cuts block to block.

Westhead-5.gif

If 3 does not shoot, he looks into 5 on the block.

Westhead-6.gif

Read more: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/paul-westhead-fast-break-offense.html#ixzz2zfVZ4hBS

My high school team recently tried it and they couldn't even do it even though they had the players to be able to run this. 

^^^ Ran the same thing in high school. We worked on it probably 2-3 hours a week in practice. I honestly can't remember us doing it in a game. Not even once. I just ran to the 2 spot looking to chuck. Not that IU wouldn't be able to run it. Just reliving the glory days. Also, like a lot of other people said. DRIVE KICK DRIVE KICK DRIVE KICK DRIVE KICK. All. Damn. Day. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Drive & kick for sure.  Our guys need to really work on those ball-handling skills to get by the defender then make the correct decision.  The middle shouldn't be as clogged anymore since we presumably will have the shooters to keep the defense honest and spread out. 

We definately need to get out and run every chance we can even after a made field goal. What concerns me most though is personnel and depth, and we won't be as deep as years past. Conditioning should be a main focus preseason; long runs like Deandre Thomas use to make to get in fighting shape. As far as offensive sets, this would be the best year in Creans tenure to employ the dribble drive. We are guard heavy and along with Troy have excellent slashers to get to the basket. I would probably start Devin at the 4 and use him up top to set screens in this offense. He needs to focus on his mid range game this summer as well as his passing. I don't think we will see a lot of true man to man defenses, probably a lot of gimmicks to counter our strong guard play.

As far as defenses to use, with our quickness one would think full court press. I think overall depth may keep us from doing this the full game man to man, but I like the idea of some form of trap with ball pressure. We need to speed things up but also protect the middle where we will be vulnerable. We could use a combination of a 1-3-1 with Devin up top or even a psuedo(sic) man to man run and shoot where we force the ball to the sidecourts and trap just accross half court. Troy will be a key for us on d as he needs to improve on ball plus his rebounding numbers need to go way up. If Crean wants to get into half court d, we will need to use a zone where we can pack it in and protect the middle. Inside will obviously be our weakness so whichever d is used needs toprotect this. Also, with size being a concern, all hands on deck defensive rebounding so the transition to fast break will be tricky.

Of course our opponents will want to take away from our strengths but I think this will be a good starting point going forward.

Remember those Villanova teams that ran 4 guards (Allan Ray, MIke Nardi, Randy Foye, and Kyle Lowry)? Or Crean's Marquette teams towards the end of his tenure there (Jarel McNeal, Dominic James, Wesley Matthews, Lazar Hayward)? Both had extremely potent offenses, and both relied on excellent shooting, quickness, and the ability to drive to the bucket or drive and dish.. I really think IU can be good using the same sort of lineup. I think it would look something like this..

Yogi

Blackmon

Stan/Johnson

Troy

Hanner/Devin Davis

Troy and Stan can both rebound well for their size, and both Davis and Hanner have shown some rebound/blocking prowess in limited minutes.. I think this kind of lineup would allow IU to put its 4 best players on the court at the same time and utilize their greatest strengths, which will be shooting (especially when you put Johnson on the floor) and quickness with the ability to drive.

Remember those Villanova teams that ran 4 guards (Allan Ray, MIke Nardi, Randy Foye, and Kyle Lowry)? Or Crean's Marquette teams towards the end of his tenure there (Jarel McNeal, Dominic James, Wesley Matthews, Lazar Hayward)? Both had extremely potent offenses, and both relied on excellent shooting, quickness, and the ability to drive to the bucket or drive and dish.. I really think IU can be good using the same sort of lineup. I think it would look something like this..

Yogi

Blackmon

Stan/Johnson

Troy

Hanner/Devin Davis

Troy and Stan can both rebound well for their size, and both Davis and Hanner have shown some rebound/blocking prowess in limited minutes.. I think this kind of lineup would allow IU to put its 4 best players on the court at the same time and utilize their greatest strengths, which will be shooting (especially when you put Johnson on the floor) and quickness with the ability to drive.

Yogi, and Rob Johnson-(purportedly) also rebound very well for their size.

Great topic! Next year our team is definitely going to live and die by the sword ability to score. I've been on record on here multiple times as saying that Yogi will take another step forward as our offensive style will start to cater to his strength with the drive-and-kick. While I don't see us running a clone of the Loyola offense, I think it's feasible to see IU be one of the fastest paced teams in the country. If I had to levy a guess, I'd assume our offense would look something like this:

1) Receive ball via rebound/steal/turnover/etc.

2) Kick to ball handler (in our case anyone playing the 1-3) or retain (if a ball handler)

(In order of precedence)
3A) Kick to player cutting to basket

3B) Drive to basket

3C) Kick to player at 3pt line

3D) Spot up at 3pt line

3E) Set-up half-court offense

4) Run 4 high, 1 low set, constant motion with high screens. First man to get an open look either takes the shot or drives. Whoever set the screen along with the low man crash the boards while the 2 players rotate and look for a catch and shoot at the 3pt line.

5) Set up transition defense with the 5 and players at the 3pt line transitioning back with the player off the drive and the screener putting initial pressure on the opposing team. Once the opposing team breaks through the initial pressure, play the proposed 1-3-1 with Troy/Stan rotating at the top-spot to limit penetration and entry passes using their length.

Obviously that's an overly simplistic approach, but it should maximize our strengths and run opposing teams into the ground. The major assumptions are:
-April/Hanner/Devin can maintain a fast paced athletic offensive approach
-Yogi/Rojo/Max/JB2 can handle, drive, and shoot the 3
-Stan and Troy continue to develop (or in the case of Stan, initially develop!) the ability to force teams to respect them at the 3pt line

I very much like the LMU offensive scheme.  I really think that our offense can handle this, given an offseason of working on passing/handling the ball.  We were fast last year, but didn't know really what to do with that speed.  Too many times, Stan went 100 mph into a crowd, then got trapped (but, when he drove through, it was beautiful!).  Without Hollowell limiting the speed of this offense, this offense (or one similar) would be exciting to watch!