Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Medema

Mike Woodson Fired

Maybe if KJ leaves, he becomes an assistant?

Trust me, I don't want this, but I'm suggesting it because I know it'll come up at some point.

I was thinking the same thing.  I just don't know how NBA coach to NCAA assistant translates.

He would be very marketable to recruits though.  University ties, NBA ties, development skills, championship experience.

I was thinking the same thing.  I just don't know how NBA coach to NCAA assistant translates.

He would be very marketable to recruits though.  University ties, NBA ties, development skills, championship experience.

No veteran, successful NBA head coach becomes a college assistant coach.

Ever.

Period.

[quote name="djsalway" post="61271" timestamp="1398093423"]Maybe if KJ leaves, he becomes an assistant?
Trust me, I don't want this, but I'm suggesting it because I know it'll come up at some point.[/quote]

I think he'll have teams knocking in the league. One of those might be the Pacers. Maybe LA.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Excellent basketball coach. Top shelf human being.

..... I'd say calling a guy who has never made it past the second round of the NBA playoffs equates to being an excellent basketball coach is a bit of a stretch

I think he'll have teams knocking in the league. One of those might be the Pacers. Maybe LA.

Is he any good as an offensive coach? I thought his thing was defense, and we don't need another defensive coach on the staff, unless the drastic happens and Vogel got fired then they thought Woodson would be a good replacement for whatever reason. Also, the Knicks offense isn't exactly very good, it has some really good offensive players that make it look good, but watching them, they aren't that good

[quote name="KingPG21" post="61285" timestamp="1398096845"]Is he any good as an offensive coach? I thought his thing was defense, and we don't need another defensive coach on the staff, unless the drastic happens and Vogel got fired then they thought Woodson would be a good replacement for whatever reason. Also, the Knicks offense isn't exactly very good, it has some really good offensive players that make it look good, but watching them, they aren't that good[/quote]

I was saying head coach.

I was saying head coach.

I guess that would make sense. Feels like it'd be a lateral move to me, but oh well guess that is why I don't make those decisions. 

[quote name="KingPG21" post="61288" timestamp="1398097035"]I guess that would make sense. Feels like it'd be a lateral move to me, but oh well guess that is why I don't make those decisions. [/quote]

If Vogel does get fired, (a move I would disagree with) Woodson would probably be one of the top options. I don't know of too many hot commodities in the league right now.

If Vogel does get fired, (a move I would disagree with) Woodson would probably be one of the top options. I don't know of too many hot commodities in the league right now.

I guess maybe they could look for the top assistant on Pop's staff or something. But I don't really get hiring an assistant after firing Vogel. Maybe George Karl, but yeah I'm with you in being against firing Vogel

I think Woodson's overall NBA record as a head coach is pretty good considering the teams that he had to work with.  He wasn't coaching championship caliber teams in ATL and NYK.  Well, maybe the Knicks had delusions of grandeur last season but the Pacers took care of that.  I think he will rebound to another NBA job.

Woody is a very good basketball coach, and having been in the league as long as he has he wouldn't leave to be an assistant to a coach like Crean who's resume' isn't as good as his own. As for making it past the second round of the playoffs as tantamount to success as a head coach, remember the Hawks won 13 games the year he started, and they had been coached by Terry Stotts who is now the coach at Portland, who has made the playoffs and probably will get past the second round. Is Stotts better than Woody?...REALLY?....I'd say your measuring stick is slightly off. So from 13 wins to 53, not too bad, and the Knicks hadn't been to the playoffs since what 2000 and D'Antoni wouldn't have gotten the Knicks as far as Woody did, he'd already lost the team. The man is tough minded, defense oriented, experienced and a Hoosier! He'll land well on his feet and in the league, just a matter of time and where he wants to coach, in the NBA there are a lot of places you just wouldn't want to coach. Great thing for Woody, he just got fired from one of the worst ran franchises in the league, no picks this year, big money options to Stoudemire and Barngiani and the options are the players not the teams and if they choose to stay, the Knicks are over the cap! Blessings come in strange ways some times! Good for Woody, out just in time!