Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
KelleyHoosh

The Ideal Recruiting Finish for 2014

So, whats your ideal finish to this cycle? I made this thread so that we can have one solid thread for all the speculation instead of having thoughts being littered along various individual ones. With the addition of Jeremiah April, there are now two remaining scholarships. Our most notable targets as of now are:

Josh Cunningham, we've been after him for a while, top 100 recruit, seems to be a battle with Bradley. Some optimism lately after adding April, some feel there was a hold up because he didn't want to play out of position at the 4. Others think we simply lost ground to Bradley. Not sure when he is announcing now, but would be a good add by all accounts

JaKeenan Gant (assuming he opts out of Missou and reopens recruitment)

Byron Wesley, 5th year player, 6'5 2/3 from USC, was their leading scorer

Ryan Anderson, Transfer from BC, will sit a year then play a year, all around solid player but will be coming off shoulder surgery

Deng Deng, not sure if there has been a lot of movement here, Nebraska was his leader last I checked. Would come in as a sophomore. 6'8 PF 

Eron Harris, we haven't really been linked here too much but there won't be a lot of movement til May.

I don't believe we have any seniors on next year's roster, but I am assuming there will be some natural attrition. This, in addition to Crean's tendency to not bank scholarships, is why I don't believe we will only take one. Taking a 5th year would be nice to get some immediate impact and be sure to have an open scholly in 2015. 

Ideally, I would have us finishing with JaKeenan Gant and Byron Wesley. Wesley would add scoring and depth in backcourt and Gant is a very talented big player. However, in my opinion Gant would be a huge recruiting battle and therefore I view him as more of a pipe dream at this point. So that is my "dream" scenario, and my realistic one is Cunningham and Byron.

I'm not AS crazy about this, though still fond of it because both are talented players.

To be honest, I'd be happy with pretty much any combination of these guys. Hopefully more names pop up on the radar soon 

I know I want Eron Harris. Scored 17 ppg in what most thought of as the best conference this year. Other than him, I'd like Gant or Deng.

Yea, I view Eron and Byron Harris pretty similarly, except IMO Eron would be a better pick up since he would have more than one year of eligibility. Plus, they had similar numbers only Eron put them up as a sophomore and Byron did it as a 3rd year player. Though, Byron was probably double teamed a lot since he was the best player on an awful team. Can't say I know for sure as I didn't watch USC play. 

Gonna be cool to watch how it shakes out

Any two out of these three: Eron, Byron, and Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Would you not like Gant if he were an option? Hes like a ~50 recruit and a big. 

I wish the roster were more balanced so we weren't in a position to worry about having any scholarships for 2015

[quote name="KelleyHoosh" post="61212" timestamp="1398042907"]Would you not like Gant if he were an option? Hes like a ~50 recruit and a big.

I wish the roster were more balanced so we weren't in a position to worry about having any scholarships for 2015[/quote]

Oh I would love it. I'm just saying my picks would be out of those 3 for reasons with recruiting space in the future. Gant would be nice due to him being a 4 year guy that seems like he would fit the system. A guy like him may be really important in a couple years bc to me it looks like there may be some big roster turnover going into the 2016-2017 season.

You've now convinced me to shift my lost to 4 by adding Gant. Eron Harris is still the one I like the most bc of his last year and I just think he's got a tough attitude on the court.

Oh I would love it. I'm just saying my picks would be out of those 3 for reasons with recruiting space in the future. Gant would be nice due to him being a 4 year guy that seems like he would fit the system. A guy like him may be really important in a couple years bc to me it looks like there may be some big roster turnover going into the 2016-2017 season.

You've now convinced me to shift my lost to 4 by adding Gant. Eron Harris is still the one I like the most bc of his last year and I just think he's got a tough attitude on the court.

Was just wondering if you were more familiar with Gant and left him off for a specific reason. Him and Eron would be a great finish. I don't remember where I read it, but I read Eron's recruitment won't have much movement til the end of the semester at WVU. If we can finish with these two, I'd be ecstatic. 

[quote name="KelleyHoosh" post="61219" timestamp="1398044301"]Was just wondering if you were more familiar with Gant and left him off for a specific reason. Him and Eron would be a great finish. I don't remember where I read it, but I read Eron's recruitment won't have much movement til the end of the semester at WVU. If we can finish with these two, I'd be ecstatic. [/quote]

Ik I've seen on twitter that WVU won't release him until after the semester. Sounds like he may have a good reason to be waived for next season, so not piling a decision like that onto school and whatever he is going through seems smart.

If Gant ends up coming here, I would be satisfied with our roster given the circumstances. I think between HMP, DD, Jeremiah, and Gant, at least 2 of them can give us good minutes every game.

2 of those listed would be great.

1. Harris then Wesley for one spot

2. Gant/Deng Deng/Cunningham/Anderson for the other in that order.

I think if we get Harris with a waiver we will have best backcourt in conference and maybe in the nation.

Gant would be great but I think Deng Deng would be a solid get too.

Any of these 2 would be fantastic.

Why didnt you have Justin Martin on list? We in with him?

2 of those listed would be great.

1. Harris then Wesley for one spot

2. Gant/Deng Deng/Cunningham/Anderson for the other in that order.

I think if we get Harris with a waiver we will have best backcourt in conference and maybe in the nation.

Gant would be great but I think Deng Deng would be a solid get too.

Any of these 2 would be fantastic.

Why didnt you have Justin Martin on list? We in with him?

Ah, he slipped my mind. I haven't really read anything about him lately. I'm sure he would be a good addition, but hes not high on the list of kids I want

Cunningham and Wesley.  I believe that would be best and provide the best depth for us NEXT YEAR!

Anyone who has to sit out a year (other than Anderson, bc I believe he's worth the wait since we need a low post presence) is not an attractive option to me at this point.  We need to turn things around next year, or 2015-2016 won't matter, bc Crean will likely have his contract bought out if we suck next year, then we'll be rebuilding again with a new coach anyways.  Just to be clear:  I think we'll be decent next year (fast paced and improved from last year), but as far as my ideal opinion of what needs to happen with recruits right now, I think it's important to focus on next year, and what can help us now.

Doesn't Harris have to sit a year?  If not, then I'd take him over Wesley, but if so, he's not a "must have" given we'll already be deep with guards that year (JBJ will be back) - we need bigs instead.  Only reason I'm saying Wesley is bc he could provide experience and scoring ability immediately, and he wont use a scholarship in 2015-2016, so that can go to Daniel Giddens (wishful thinking).

Here's how I see the ideal line-up if Cunningham and Wesley both happen:

1.) Yogi (true point, needs to be the leader)

2.) JBJ (scores from anywhere on the floor and can handle the ball)

3.) Wesley (shooter)

4.) TW (I like that he's handling the ball less, and cutting to get open more when in this position)

5.) HP (hopefully improved again, as he did from Fresh. to Soph.)

Play fast tempo bball! Avg. upper 70's or low 80's points per game.

back-ups at each position:

1.) Rob J. (smart player, decent handle, creates plays and can shoot/score)

2.) Stan R. (can handle the ball and get to the basket)

3.) Max H. (underrated shooter - better than Hartman)

4.) Cunningham and D. Davis (work horses on the glass w/ versatile skills)

5.) J. April (big and tall - dirty work, scrap, rebound, defend the paint)

***5.)*** Peter Jurkin??? (also a back up at the 5, if he's healthy)

I think this could be a solid team depending on 4 important X-factors:

1.) Can Wesley mesh in right away and get along/play his role?

2.) How much will Hanner improve this summer?

3.) How much stronger, and bigger/heavier can J. April get before November?

4.) Troy Williams and his all around development (especially shooting)*** He must become consistent.

sorry so long... and I drifted off topic a little.

Oh, and I posted this in the Josh Cunningham thread, but here it is on this one too...

Video interview w/ Cunningham... I'm sure you'll think what I thought, which was "Wow! How have our coaches not convinced this kid to come play for our program? He literally sounds like the PERFECT fit for Crean's system (right down to the terminology - 'deflections', 'transition', etc.).  Seems like he wants to play the transition style game at the 4 (he mentions working on post skills is why I say the 4 spot thing). Regardless, it sure seems like we had everything this guy could want according to his interview... I'll be mad if we miss out after hearing this.  I want this kid on our team more than anyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IgEevSHexg

[quote name="Hoosier_Cat_42" post="61234" timestamp="1398058363"]Cunningham and Wesley. I believe that would be best and provide the best depth for us NEXT YEAR!
Anyone who has to sit out a year (other than Anderson, bc I believe he's worth the wait since we need a low post presence) is not an attractive option to me at this point. We need to turn things around[b] [u]next year[/u][/b], or 2015-2016 won't matter, bc Crean will likely have his contract bought out if we suck next year, then we'll be rebuilding again with a new coach anyways. Just to be clear: I think we'll be decent next year (fast paced and improved from last year), but as far as my ideal opinion of what needs to happen with recruits right now, I think it's important to focus on next year, and what can help us now.
Doesn't Harris have to sit a year? If not, then I'd take him over Wesley, but if so, he's not a "must have" given we'll already be deep with guards that year (JBJ will be back) - we need bigs instead. Only reason I'm saying Wesley is bc he could provide experience and scoring ability [u][b]immediately[/b][/u], and he wont use a scholarship in 2015-2016, so that can go to Daniel Giddens (wishful thinking).

Here's how I see the ideal line-up if Cunningham and Wesley both happen:

1.) Yogi (true point, needs to be the leader)
2.) JBJ (scores from anywhere on the floor and can handle the ball)
3.) Wesley (shooter)
4.) TW (I like that he's handling the ball less, and cutting to get open more when in this position)
5.) HP (hopefully improved again, as he did from Fresh. to Soph.)

Play fast tempo bball! Avg. upper 70's or low 80's points per game.

back-ups at each position:

1.) Rob J. (smart player, decent handle, creates plays and can shoot/score)
2.) Stan R. (can handle the ball and get to the basket)
3.) Max H. (underrated shooter - better than Hartman)
4.) Cunningham and D. Davis (work horses on the glass w/ versatile skills)
5.) J. April (big and tall - dirty work, scrap, rebound, defend the paint)
***5.)*** Peter Jurkin??? (also a back up at the 5, if he's healthy)

I think this could be a solid team depending on 4 important X-factors:

1.) Can Wesley mesh in right away and get along/play his role?
2.) How much will Hanner improve this summer?
3.) How much stronger, and bigger/heavier can J. April get before November?
4.) Troy Williams and his all around development (especially shooting)*** He must become consistent.

[size=3][i]sorry so long... and I drifted off topic a little.[/i][/size][/quote]

Wow.. Great post. And agreed, Cunningham would be awesome

Cunningham and Wesley. I believe that would be best and provide the best depth for us NEXT YEAR!<br />Anyone who has to sit out a year (other than Anderson, bc I believe he's worth the wait since we need a low post presence) is not an attractive option to me at this point. We need to turn things around next year, or 2015-2016 won't matter, bc Crean will likely have his contract bought out if we suck next year, then we'll be rebuilding again with a new coach anyways. Just to be clear: I think we'll be decent next year (fast paced and improved from last year), but as far as my ideal opinion of what needs to happen with recruits right now, I think it's important to focus on next year, and what can help us now.<br />Doesn't Harris have to sit a year? If not, then I'd take him over Wesley, but if so, he's not a "must have" given we'll already be deep with guards that year (JBJ will be back) - we need bigs instead. Only reason I'm saying Wesley is bc he could provide experience and scoring ability immediately, and he wont use a scholarship in 2015-2016, so that can go to Daniel Giddens (wishful thinking).<br /><br />Here's how I see the ideal line-up if Cunningham and Wesley both happen:<br /><br />1.) Yogi (true point, needs to be the leader)<br />2.) JBJ (scores from anywhere on the floor and can handle the ball)<br />3.) Wesley (shooter)<br />4.) TW (I like that he's handling the ball less, and cutting to get open more when in this position)<br />5.) HP (hopefully improved again, as he did from Fresh. to Soph.)<br /><br />Play fast tempo bball! Avg. upper 70's or low 80's points per game.<br /><br />back-ups at each position:<br /><br />1.) Rob J. (smart player, decent handle, creates plays and can shoot/score)<br />2.) Stan R. (can handle the ball and get to the basket)<br />3.) Max H. (underrated shooter - better than Hartman)<br />4.) Cunningham and D. Davis (work horses on the glass w/ versatile skills)<br />5.) J. April (big and tall - dirty work, scrap, rebound, defend the paint)<br />***5.)*** Peter Jurkin??? (also a back up at the 5, if he's healthy)<br /><br /><br />I think this could be a solid team depending on 4 important X-factors:<br /><br />1.) Can Wesley mesh in right away and get along/play his role?<br />2.) How much will Hanner improve this summer?<br />3.) How much stronger, and bigger/heavier can J. April get before November?<br />4.) Troy Williams and his all around development (especially shooting)*** He must become consistent.<br /><br />sorry so long... and I drifted off topic a little.

No Gant? He's ranked around 50 by all the recruiting services and he's a big man that could have an impact right away. I think getting him would be huge. We also have no idea where we stand with Wesley and Deng and Anderson. Gant has specifically said he's down to two schools if he leaves Missouri. Sure, Wesley has included us, but there are multiple teams.

We SHOULD be able to beat out Bradley for Cunningham, right? I mean dang, if that is the 2 that he is down to, surely we would have to be the pick! Bradley, really! I like the Cunningham kid as well, and to me, any other kid that has a mid range game. I really feel like this team needs that. Its great to have the athleticism and dunks and all, but ya gotta have a glue guy. Bad comparison rt now. But, look at the Pacers before David West, and then now. Not RIGHT now, haha but ya'll know what I mean. 

We SHOULD be able to beat out Bradley for Cunningham, right? I mean dang, if that is the 2 that he is down to, surely we would have to be the pick! Bradley, really! I like the Cunningham kid as well, and to me, any other kid that has a mid range game. I really feel like this team needs that. Its great to have the athleticism and dunks and all, but ya gotta have a glue guy. Bad comparison rt now. But, look at the Pacers before David West, and then now. Not RIGHT now, haha but ya'll know what I mean.

Seems as if South Carolina is the more reasonable pick as of now. Bradley just signed two guys yesterday.