Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Magnanimous

Can somebody refute our apparantly terrible graduation rate?

It's a year old, but there is an article on Stanford's scout site breaking down the graduation rate for every BCS conference team in both football and basketball. Now this was done in March of 2013, so I'm assuming the 2009 graduates were not counted yet, but apparently our basketball program's graduation rate was (is) 43%, making it the 7th worst in the country (ironically Wisconsin was 6th worst in the country...so I don't know how valid this is). But anyway, here's the link:

http://stanford.scout.com/2/1273612.html

That all started with Kelvin Sampson. Under Knight, we had one of the best in the country.

While we all know that the team's graduation rate under Sampson was terrible, this was a measure of period of multiple years and he was our coach for one and a half seasons. Also it didnt factor in transfers, so some guys like Crawford didn't count towards this.

"This analysis covers graduation rates for the classes that reached the end of their six-year graduation windows in the years 2008 through 2011."

That is why it is at 43%.  Only reason it is that high is because of 2009-2011.  

It really does not matter at this point as its all messed up with sampson  and players being let go and the players leaving early so does it make a difference at this time let crean do his thing.

There's definitely something fishy going, seeing as how both California and Wisconsin have awful rates. Since this is a Stanford "study," there is probably some exaggeratedly inaccurate rates here. Think about it. Cal and Wisky are good schools, but Cal is Stanford's rival and Wisconsin is frequently Stanford's rose bowl opponent. I think these are fake because there is no way Cal and Wisconsin are realistically that low.

BtownBanners

Here's another source that supports Wisconsin's numbers. It's only for the tournament teams this past March unfortunately. But it also uses the NCAA more forgiving Graduation Success Rate calculation. http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/03/17/ncaa-men-basketball-tournament-teams-see-record-graduation-rates/P3QxfXSFvfLBDJUmDDmLML/story.html

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll never know hunger again. Give a man a chart and he becomes as confused as the rest of us. Teach a man to make charts and he can make them show whatever he wants them to.

I don't buy into these things that much. We know who is graduating. We know we have a tremendous APR score. Once the Sampson years work their way through, I expect IU to be right near the top of the Big Ten in terms of academic success in its athletic programs.

There's definitely something fishy going, seeing as how both California and Wisconsin have awful rates. Since this is a Stanford "study," there is probably some exaggeratedly inaccurate rates here. Think about it. Cal and Wisky are good schools, but Cal is Stanford's rival and Wisconsin is frequently Stanford's rose bowl opponent. I think these are fake because there is no way Cal and Wisconsin are realistically that low.

BtownBanners

Well you have to remember that while Cal is a fantastic school, it doesn't take the same approach to football recruiting as Stanford or ND. This is the school that during that measured time frame had Desean Jackson and Marshawn Lynch suiting up. Jackson's an alleged gang member and Marshawn Lynch spent his entire rookie signing bonus on skee ball at a Buffalo Dave and Busters.