Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
djsalway

(2014) C Jeremiah April to IU

His body is similar to a young Tyson Chandler. Long neck, skinny in the middle but big legs. He's much more fluid running and catching the ball than Jurkin seemed to be in high school, so I think he's a tad farther along than PJ was.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="Dunn Woods" post="60996" timestamp="1397925313"]this would be music to my ears[/quote]

You actually want KJ to leave? Wow

I can understand wanting more IN focused recruiting (of course KJ really kept the JBj relationship alive after the decommit) but we can do both so he does not hurt us here.

Do you want more of a coach? We have three others who have each been HC so I do not think we need more here. Maybe better but that seems to fall in those three not KJ.

I think we can survive without KJ but to say you want him to leave seems crazy to me.

Peter Jurkin 2.0

Hope I'm wrong, but that's what I'm callin'. Go back in youtube and watch Jurkin's high school highlights... They're pretty similar. I'm glad we got him and everything, I'm just being honest about where my expectations are for him. Hope he turns out way better and has just been flying under the radar the whole time.

Speaking of Peter Jurkin, what's the deal with him? Is he hurt? Has he been hurt from day 1 at IU? Or is he just so bad that he NEVER leaves the bench? I'm just curious if there's a legit reason for him having basically zero playing time?

You really think they're that similar?  Jurkin's highlights were a whole bunch of blocks and a few nice dunks.  They tended to show his good athleticism, at least for a 7 footer.  There wasn't a whole lot of posting up, and I don't recall seeing any shots from 10 to 12 feet.

There are some similarities (at least in their build) but it looks to me like April has a more polished offensive game at this point, while Jurkin was more of a defensive presence at that point in his career.

We'll never know how good Jurkin could have been (unless he actually plays this year) because of his chronic injurys. So comparing his skills to Jurkin's skills may or may not be a good thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BtownBanners mobile app

I found this to be interesting.

"Though April's name didn't find much traction on national recruiting websites, Steadman said April was getting attention from Marquette, Washington State and Arizona State. He also said that Indiana assistant coach Steve McClain had been on him for months, and Tom Crean met with April for the first time on Friday."

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/

So they had been watching this kid for awhile.

Wow, I just watched his highlights and I really like him. Granted, they're highlights so I should take it with salt, but to be honest I think he can at least be someone who gives Hanner a 10 minute break next year. I think he will develop into a solid 4 year player

I am not against signing April but I hate how all the videos are from AAU events and not HS games. I cannot stand seeing a "game" where you have a handful of people in folding chairs watching vs a gym packed with fans.

Then you have guys that look like they play rec basketball against a kid we like.

Not just these vids of April. I could have sworn we had one earlier where they were playing shirts and skins.

[quote name="KelleyHoosh" post="61055" timestamp="1397955731"]Wow, I just watched his highlights and I really like him. Granted, they're highlights so I should take it with salt, but to be honest I think he can at least be someone who gives Hanner a 10 minute break next year. I think he will develop into a solid 4 year player[/quote

And with everything I read, I see "no" red flags.

You really think they're that similar?  Jurkin's highlights were a whole bunch of blocks and a few nice dunks.  They tended to show his good athleticism, at least for a 7 footer.  There wasn't a whole lot of posting up, and I don't recall seeing any shots from 10 to 12 feet.

There are some similarities (at least in their build) but it looks to me like April has a more polished offensive game at this point, while Jurkin was more of a defensive presence at that point in his career.

You're right that the PJ highlights were mainly blocks and some dunks, but there were a few that showed he had range to 15 feet.  There were also a couple video's that showed a nice free throw stroke from PJ too.  But ultimately, I made that comparison from a mix of PJ's highlight videos AND seeing PJ play in person, compared with the only video of April that I've found so far (the one in this thread).  I guess you can't go off one video of April, but that's all we've got so far.  Anyone who has seen PJ play in person, especially just shooting around in practice, knows that he can easily knock down open 15 foot jump shots all day.  So even if the highlight clips didn't show it, I still think it is easy to see similarities in PJ and JA.  Dare I say it, I think a healthy PJ may even be better.

I've uploaded a video from back when we signed PJ.  Watch at the 00:13 mark, and even better, the 00:50 mark (showed him making a great shot fake move and taking it to the basket for the reverse jam).

Like I said, I hope JA ends up surprising people, but I still think he'll only be able to contribute as much as PJ was able to his first two years in the Big Ten; which was ZERO.  However, with no Zeller or Vonleh in the line up, they may both get their chances to show what they've got this year.

Peter Jurkin Video I referenced above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa7QVjsUN3o