Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
djsalway

(2014) C Jeremiah April to IU

I think this is a good point. Every recruit says the same things before they arrive on campus. And why shouldn't they? A comparison I can think of is during spring training when every baseball player wants to tell you they're in the best shape of their life. 

April didn't even know the name of the university and probably has no idea what a Hoosier is. I don't have a problem with that as long as he comes in and works hard. 

"Wanting to be a Hoosier" is the default when you commit, not a standard of excellence. 

Ha! What a loser! Doesn't even know what a Hoosier is! Evvvvvvery one definitely knows that! Know what we should do guys? We should explain what a Hoosier is here in this thread, so that he can see it when he searches his name. I would do it but I have sooooo much work to do that I just can't take the time. I'll start it though:

Oh yeah, Indiana? We have the best mascot (though no mascot costume), it's a Hoosier! Which, as everyone knows is . . .

IIRC even Trey Lyles said it was his dream when he committed here.

Like you said, wanting to be there is really just a pre-canned line for recruits.

It might have been Trey's dream to play here. Problem was dad had a dream of his own that got in the way.

Ha! What a loser! Doesn't even know what a Hoosier is! Evvvvvvery one definitely knows that! Know what we should do guys? We should explain what a Hoosier is here in this thread, so that he can see it when he searches his name. I would do it but I have sooooo much work to do that I just can't take the time. I'll start it though:

Oh yeah, Indiana? We have the best mascot (though no mascot costume), it's a Hoosier! Which, as everyone knows is . . .

Lol!  So, this got me thinking (yes, sometimes capable of this), what do most people think it is?  This link is to a lengthy but interesting article (not trying to derail thread) about the word....

http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/internet/extra/hoosier.html

[quote name="mamasa" post="61927" timestamp="1398265069"]Lol! So, this got me thinking (yes, sometimes capable of this), what do most people think it is? This link is to a lengthy but interesting article (not trying to derail thread) about the word....

[url="http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/internet/extra/hoosier.html"]http://www.indiana.edu/~librcsd/internet/extra/hoosier.html[/url][/quote]

I've always thought it was from the Anglo-Saxon (sp?) word Hoo from when Indiana was still considered the western edge of the country. In that language, Hoo means hill. So basically "Hill People". I didn't read the article so if that's what the article says, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I've always thought it was from the Anglo-Saxon (sp?) word Hoo from when Indiana was still considered the western edge of the country. In that language, Hoo means hill. So basically "Hill People". I didn't read the article so if that's what the article says, sorry.

The article says "

As for the word itself, it probably derives from the Saxon word "hoo" meaning promontory or cliff or ridge or rise or hill. Jacob Piatt Dunn, a diligent scholar of the word, believes a Saxon beginning, and such a meaning survives in various place names in England. There is some sense in the notion, too, that those who applied the insult and those to whom it was applied (and who understood it) came primarily from British stock.

The unusual (ier or sier) ending has always been difficult to explain. Might it be from "scir" the old form of "shire?" The Hoo Shire would then be the Hill Country, the High Places or the Mountain Region. Would that meaning then extend to those who lived in the hills, making them the "hooscirs" and later the "Hoosiers," the mountain people, hillbillies by another name?"

You're good, my friend!  It has a pretty lengthy history also, but this is right up front :)

There are a lot of theories but no one knows for certain.

Good article written today over at the IU 247 sports site, makes me feel a lot better about April, and his high school coach said he'd be an immediate contributor here

I'm going to take what his HS coach says with a grain of salt.  What else is he going to say?  He's going to build up his player.

I'm going to take what his HS coach says with a grain of salt.  What else is he going to say?  He's going to build up his player.

Yea, but the article also said that his high school coach called Crean (Or one of the recruiting guys here at IU, i can't forget), and told him to get down here and check out April because he won't last another week, and sure enough Marquette, Arizona State and others looked at him, as did Crean, and as we know now, he committed here

Good article written today over at the IU 247 sports site, makes me feel a lot better about April, and his high school coach said he'd be an immediate contributor here

That was posted in this thread, a couple pages back. It's a few days old.