Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
djsalway

(2014) C Jeremiah April to IU

[quote name="harderhoosier5" post="61112" timestamp="1398010214"]I'd like to see us add the guy from USC. Would be great to have experience and another scorer. Plus it would give us another scholarship for 2015 I agree! And possibly even the Mizzou kid Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote] Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="Hoosier_Cat_42" post="61068" timestamp="1397962749"]You're right that the PJ highlights were mainly blocks and some dunks, but there were a few that showed he had range to 15 feet. There were also a couple video's that showed a nice free throw stroke from PJ too. But ultimately, I made that comparison from a mix of PJ's highlight videos AND seeing PJ play in person, compared with the only video of April that I've found so far (the one in this thread). I guess you can't go off one video of April, but that's all we've got so far. Anyone who has seen PJ play in person, especially just shooting around in practice, knows that he can easily knock down open 15 foot jump shots all day. So even if the highlight clips didn't show it, I still think it is easy to see similarities in PJ and JA. Dare I say it, I think a healthy PJ may even be better. I've uploaded a video from back when we signed PJ. Watch at the 00:13 mark, and even better, the 00:50 mark (showed him making a great shot fake move and taking it to the basket for the reverse jam). Like I said, I hope JA ends up surprising people, but I still think he'll only be able to contribute as much as PJ was able to his first two years in the Big Ten; which was ZERO. However, with no Zeller or Vonleh in the line up, they may both get their chances to show what they've got this year. Peter Jurkin Video I referenced above: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa7QVjsUN3o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa7QVjsUN3o[/url][/quote] You do realize that Jurkin has not been on the court primarily because his legs have prevented him from being a factor don't you? Your point is like saying Nerlens Noel played pretty well at UK in 2012/13 but has been a bust in the NBA. Do I think April will be great for us? I do not expect much next year but if he works hard and is able to avoid injuries he may be able to develop. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You do realize that Jurkin has not been on the court primarily because his legs have prevented him from being a factor don't you? Your point is like saying Nerlens Noel played pretty well at UK in 2012/13 but has been a bust in the NBA. Do I think April will be great for us? I do not expect much next year but if he works hard and is able to avoid injuries he may be able to develop. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree with this.  I think the problem with Peter at this point is he just wasn't able to develop due to injuries for long periods of time when nothing would be more important than game time.  I am not saying Pete would have been All-B1G but pointing to him as reasoning for not liking this kid is just wrong.  Pete didn't play for 2 years in high school as an international kid because of injury.  Then missed most of his Frosh year due to injury.  That is too much time missed for a kid who had been in the US essentially to play US ball starting in high school.  These kids may end up on a similar career path, but they have nothing in common.  

[quote name="mdn82" post="61146" timestamp="1398022072"]I agree with this. I think the problem with Peter at this point is he just wasn't able to develop due to injuries for long periods of time when nothing would be more important than game time. I am not saying Pete would have been All-B1G but pointing to him as reasoning for not liking this kid is just wrong. Pete didn't play for 2 years in high school as an international kid because of injury. Then missed most of his Frosh year due to injury. That is too much time missed for a kid who had been in the US essentially to play US ball starting in high school. These kids may end up on a similar career path, but they have nothing in common. [/quote]
Also the suspension hurt his development along with pereas. They didn't get to get used to the college level by playing the early game they had to start around big ten time

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

You do realize that Jurkin has not been on the court primarily because his legs have prevented him from being a factor don't you? Your point is like saying Nerlens Noel played pretty well at UK in 2012/13 but has been a bust in the NBA. Do I think April will be great for us? I do not expect much next year but if he works hard and is able to avoid injuries he may be able to develop. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree with this.  I think the problem with Peter at this point is he just wasn't able to develop due to injuries for long periods of time when nothing would be more important than game time.  I am not saying Pete would have been All-B1G but pointing to him as reasoning for not liking this kid is just wrong.  Pete didn't play for 2 years in high school as an international kid because of injury.  Then missed most of his Frosh year due to injury.  That is too much time missed for a kid who had been in the US essentially to play US ball starting in high school.  These kids may end up on a similar career path, but they have nothing in common.  

Hope you guys are right.  We'll find out soon enough.

Here's an interview with Jeremiah's HS coach.  I'd say it's encouraging.  I didn't realize he is up to 235lbs already.  If Je'Nay can put another 15lbs on this kid he'd be 250lbs.  That, along with being "at least" 7ft tall, is enough weight and size to bang in the paint.  Probably not going to be a starter next year, but sounds like he can give Hanner a good breather from time to time next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMVspzngGgo

I have so much trouble imagining Jurkin going by "Pete". He strikes me as a PJ.

[quote name="maxwell" post="61197" timestamp="1398036849"][url="http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/04/20/indiana-is-a-dream-come-true-for-jeremiah-april/7939787/"][color=#b22222]"Indiana is a dream come true for Jeremiah April"[/color][/url] Here is an interesting short story by: [font=Arial][size=3][b]Richard Obert[/b][/size][/font] Welcome Jeremiah. Stay focused on your dreams & goals. I love what you bring to Indiana.[/quote] I love to hear these kinds of stories about our recruits. It makes me even more hopeful and excited to watch his development and play on the court. Hope this turns out to be some kind of recruiting miracle. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Right now I would say he he's a knock above PJ.  Only because we have nothing to go on for two years.

Dissruption will be this kid's main objective.  If can change the winds on B1G penetration, it's worth the weight.

Let our outside guide our strength then.  I think this could work.  At least this is what I am telling myself.

I like the pass out of the lane, nice shooting form, 3-4 blocks a game, get some strength and we'll see how it goes.

Let the outside guide our strengths!

Shouldnt be. Haven't heard anywhere that they are.

From the Indy Star article 

"The hard thing was just getting him (academically) cleared," said Pamela Nailing, Jeremiah's mother. "It was definitely a journey. Indiana came out of nowhere. We don't know how they got his name. God did it."

From the Indy Star article 

"The hard thing was just getting him (academically) cleared," said Pamela Nailing, Jeremiah's mother. "It was definitely a journey. Indiana came out of nowhere. We don't know how they got his name. God did it."

Don't know this for sure, but that could be why he went to prep school for a year to clear up his grades?