Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Walking Boot of Doom

2015 In-state Recruiting

Look at the in-state top 100 talent available for 2015 per 247sports composite ranking:

#37 Jalen Coleman - PG
#82 Hyron Edwards - PG
#88 Joseph Toye - SF
#98 K.J. Walton - PG

Since Bryant Crawford (#65) seems to be the likely PG we pick up in this class, which then, potentially, eliminates three of the in-state guys, will people be upset with Crean for not locking down the borders? (Excuse me if I missed some, I'm not sure who is in-state who might be playing for out of state prep schools) How important is in-state recruiting if we're finding premium talent elsewhere? And, how important is keeping KJ if our talent pool is becoming more East Coast based?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's all relative. I like Jalen Coleman best due to versatility and size. Not sure feelings are mutual between him and IU. I would love to be able to land the Indiana talent we want. We wouldn't have to lock it down necessarily. As long as we could get our primary target locally.

I was really happy with our recruiting a year ago. I am really down on our recruiting currently. We are in the Dumps locally and nationally.

I think in-state kids are good to have, because they help to recruit younger in-state hoopsters. Not necessarily by contact, but maybe a kid watched him play as a high schooler, and wanted to follow in his footsteps. It is good to have a connection all over the nation too. You would like to have a good mix of talented kids!

Coleman is the one I want in that class, period.

Indiana produces a lot of talent and we can't get it all, but it's a great asset being located in the heart of a recruiting hot bed.  Might as well try to take full advantage of it.

[quote name="Bryan Medema" post="60212" timestamp="1397690819"][url="http://regressing.deadspin.com/map-where-do-college-basketball-recruits-come-from-1507395145"]http://regressing.deadspin.com/map-where-do-college-basketball-recruits-come-from-1507395145[/url]

[url="http://deadspin.com/infographics-where-do-high-school-basketball-stars-com-5984694"]http://deadspin.com/infographics-where-do-high-school-basketball-stars-com-5984694[/url]

We should probably still to Indiana...[/quote] I've seen this. But this just means Indiana is a recruiting hot bed for the entire country. Many in this forum want Crean to "lock down the borders", but is it really ideal for us to spend the amount of time it would take to do that and keep out the rest of the country, or just continue to go hard for one or two and then recruit elsewhere?

[quote name="scottybower" post="60213" timestamp="1397691250"]I've seen this. But this just means Indiana is a recruiting hot bed for the entire country. Many in this forum want Crean to "lock down the borders", but is it really ideal for us to spend the amount of time it would take to do that and keep out the rest of the country, or just continue to go hard for one or two and then recruit elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I think it would make sense to go after mostly Indiana kids and go hard for one or two kids elsewhere. It works economically for the athletic department and to institutionalize a statewide loyalty to the flagship university would do wonders in terms of fan support and building the culture of "it's Indiana" IMO

Of course, if a better option from outside Indiana has high interest in us, pursuing them over a similar kid from the state would be preferable. But the thing is, IMO, it's easier to pull a kid at this stage in the cycle when we are in dire need of help when everyone around him is a fan of us than it is to get a kid from the coasts. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's nice having a connection to other areas, but it's easier to establish a base of kids lining up for IU close to home than it is on the posts. A kid from Virginia who's value increases late in the cycle isn't going to be as inclined to come to Indiana as a kid who has grown up with all of his coaches neighbors and friends being Hoosier friends.

Sorry if this is incoherent, the treadmill isn't conducive to typing haha

This just makes me think. If you are a dairy farmer, would you get the best milk from your cows, or would you travel 500 miles to a farm for the same milk. Makes perfect sense. Keep all of your milk, and only go to the other farms if you run out.

[quote name="Bigdaddy76" post="60954" timestamp="1397911489"]This just makes me think. If you are a dairy farmer, would you get the best milk from your cows, or would you travel 500 miles to a farm for the same milk. Makes perfect sense. Keep all of your milk, and only go to the other farms if you run out.[/quote]

Sometimes that farm 500 miles away has some extremely good milk that you and your 1 million member family would LOVE to drink. Even if it spoils after one year and you have to let it go.

Crean has got to lock down the best in-state recruits. This only helps with future recruits (assuming that the team is doing well) and with the fan base in Indiana as well as those of us from Indiana that live else where.

I can't even imagine how good this past team would have been with Dawson, Irvin and Harris.

For the life of me I can't understand why Crean did not lock down Bluiett.

Very important cause we don't just need the best players in the country we need solid committed, smart players an indiana has the best of both an when players like trey lyles, jbj, Jared Jeffries, zellers do come come along we want to knw tht we have the best chance an no doubt about getting tht commitment from those kids. It's viable tht the core of r recruiting comes from In state. Along with knight indiana kids is what has made IU a basketball power house

Some of you act as if recruits are objects at an auction. The human element is the most important part. These kids have to be comfortable in the school they choose, in many aspects. The academic, social, geography, etc. all play a part. They must feel that the athletic program meets their needs, in terms of acceptance, development, counseling, etc. Missing out on a recruit may well be because IU doesn't fit the recruit, not Crean being psycho/whiffing/pushing them away. This detours the topic if the thread, but I think it's important to see that the future of the recruit, in state or out, is the biggest concern.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Some of you act as if recruits are objects at an auction. The human element is the most important part. These kids have to be comfortable in the school they choose, in many aspects. The academic, social, geography, etc. all play a part. They must feel that the athletic program meets their needs, in terms of acceptance, development, counseling, etc. Missing out on a recruit may well be because IU doesn't fit the recruit, not Crean being psycho/whiffing/pushing them away. This detours the topic if the thread, but I think it's important to see that the future of the recruit, in state or out, is the biggest concern.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree with everything you said. Well put. 

I think its fair to judge how good of a recruiter someone is based on their ability to make recruits feel that comfort with a school. I also think that by your logic it makes sense to "lock down" Indiana (As well as Ohio, Illinois, maybe get into Michigan) because those kids will be more inclined to feel comfort at a state university near their homes.

All in all, it will work out. It always does. 

Heres to hoping it happens in a quick and winning manner!

Look at the in-state top 100 talent available for 2015 per 247sports composite ranking:

#37 Jalen Coleman - PG
#82 Hyron Edwards - PG
#88 Joseph Toye - SF
#98 K.J. Walton - PG

Since Bryant Crawford (#65) seems to be the likely PG we pick up in this class, which then, potentially, eliminates three of the in-state guys, will people be upset with Crean for not locking down the borders? (Excuse me if I missed some, I'm not sure who is in-state who might be playing for out of state prep schools) How important is in-state recruiting if we're finding premium talent elsewhere? And, how important is keeping KJ if our talent pool is becoming more East Coast based?

fwiw. Toye to Vandy.

Crean has got to lock down the best in-state recruits. This only helps with future recruits (assuming that the team is doing well) and with the fan base in Indiana as well as those of us from Indiana that live else where.

I can't even imagine how good this past team would have been with Dawson, Irvin and Harris.

For the life of me I can't understand why Crean did not lock down Bluiett.

I can't understand how some of you can't see the big picture and realize IU is not for everyone. We maxed out our visits. Bluiett never wanted to come here. How do you make someone come here that doesn't want to?

Back to the 2015 class.