Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
raorIU

Parallels to Crean? SB Nation expose on SEC football bag men

It has?  Outside this forum I'm guessing?  Thought it might spark some conversation around why Crean is continually missing out since beginning of the season.  

Living in SEC country, if this is true than UGA, with all the wealthy backers in a football crazy state would be perennial national champs. Alabama isn't near as wealthy as just Atlanta alone, not to mention South Ga. where high school football is some of the best you'll ever see. Not saying that some of this doesn't goes on, but this article makes it sound endemic to the SEC and very common place.

If schools are willing to create false majors to keep athletes eligible and graduate them, then there is no denying that the illegal paying of athletes by boosters or bag men is also rampant. When you have credible information from multiple sources saying Cam Newton will cost $200,000 to play and he only gets suspended for 1 day and that's it, then its easy to see where the real problem lies. Of course I'm speaking of the NCAA whose selective enforcement of their laws has created this wild west attitude towards the rules from USC, UNC to Ohio State. The SEC just does it best. Our saying here is "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying".

"You can have a rival coach who is considered a great recruiter, and he might say, 'We feel great about this kid, if we can just get him on campus.' Well, what if you can't even get him to show up? How great a recruiter are you now?"

This tactic is not universally employed. Some coaches encourage players to visit other campuses to recruit other players. Some like for everyone to know how many other schools have offered a player before he makes his choice, making it look like the chosen school beat an even longer list of rivals. Regardless, it's a shining example of how influential shadow boosters are in the recruiting process and how crucial they are to the success of a coach's reputation as a good recruiter.

It's also how lame duck coaching staffs are created. If a majority of bag men want a particular coach out and an A.D. or president won't make a move, they'll just dry up funds.

"The coach won't know exactly when we decide to make that happen, but they've got a good idea. Then we get to see just how damn good a recruiter he really is. I know one of our guys once stopped putting in big bucks, way more than what I do, just because a head coach cussed too much on the team plane. [The coach] was losing anyway, but because he took the Lord's name in vain, that guy was offended by his morality and stopped illegally paying college football players."

Is this the passage you were referring to?

Is this the passage you were referring to?

Yup, that's the one.  Am I wrong in thinking there has been a total reversal around Crean's appearance as an ace recruiter?  This coincides with increased noise about booster displeasure with the program's direction.  Obviously this is all conjecture, but interesting.

Yup, that's the one.  Am I wrong in thinking there has been a total reversal around Crean's appearance as an ace recruiter?  This coincides with increased noise about booster displeasure with the program's direction.  Obviously this is all conjecture, but interesting.

It's hard to be an ace recruiter for the 2014 class at this point in the process. We will definitely see how he does with the 2015 class though.

It's hard to be an ace recruiter for the 2014 class at this point in the process. We will definitely see how he does with the 2015 class though.

I would say that was true 20 years ago. But the recent pulse of college basketball seems to be that players are playing earlier and contributing earlier. If these guys that we got were that good last year "top ten class I believe" shouldn't they have at least made the tournament. I am not saying I don't think that they can be good. I just think that they should be able to accomplish more than they did with that kind of talent.

I would say that was true 20 years ago. But the recent pulse of college basketball seems to be that players are playing earlier and contributing earlier. If these guys that we got were that good last year "top ten class I believe" shouldn't they have at least made the tournament. I am not saying I don't think that they can be good. I just think that they should be able to accomplish more than they did with that kind of talent.

Is this supposed to be a reply to my post? I was talking about recruiting players for 2014 this late when all the big names are gone.

As an aside from the topic yet related, it is career enhancing for all of the IU athletic staff to keep folks like Mr. Cuban happy.

Patience will go another year at the most with bottom line oriented alumni like Cuban and others who are significant centers of influence at IU.