Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
SWEETLEMONbrown

Yogi Ferrel's future.

Not trying to start a major thread here. Just have some opinionated questions.
Will Yogi ever be an NBA caliber player? If so, will he stay all four years? If he does leave early, who will replace our McDonald's All-American PG? Will it be easy to replace Yogi? Or will it be like trying to replace Noah Vonleh as we scrape the bottom of the barrel for any bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He could leave after next season if he makes another considerable leap. He has the speed and quickness to make it in the league, but he still didn't shoot a high percentage this past year, and his assists left a lot to be desired. Both of those could be remedied a bit this next year by playing with better players, and specifically better shooters.

His size is a bit of a concern, but there have been guys who have managed despite their size. It is notable that he'll always be guarding point guards, unless he plays for a coach that advocates switching defensively. He is a good defender, which should help him catch on as well. 

Kinda like replacing CZ?   Seems that hole was filled pretty well by NV.

We were caught off guard with Fisher leaving, put us in a big hole. ALL of us would have been ok with him playing more and stepping up to fill the C position this next season. I don't think the guard position will be hard to fill, doesn't seem to be a weakness of CTC's.

He could leave after next season if he makes another considerable leap. He has the speed and quickness to make it in the league, but he still didn't shoot a high percentage this past year, and his assists left a lot to be desired. Both of those could be remedied a bit this next year by playing with better players, and specifically better shooters.

His size is a bit of a concern, but there have been guys who have managed despite their size. It is notable that he'll always be guarding point guards, unless he plays for a coach that advocates switching defensively. He is a good defender, which should help him catch on as well. 

All good points. PGs are getting bigger in the NBA and Yogi's height certainly does not help him. 6'3" is small for a PG these days (Derrick Rose's height).

Yogi's assist to turnover ratio last year was 1.5. That is not going to cut it in the league and really hurt us this past year although he was somehow the best. Every scholarship player besides Yogi and Gordon had an A:TO ratio less than one. That is staggering, and I needed Oscar Pistorius' puke bucket after looking at the stats.

Team A:TO was 0.76... *runs to puke bucket again*

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/84/indiana-hoosiers

All good points. PGs are getting bigger in the NBA and Yogi's height certainly does not help him. 6'3" is small for a PG these days (Derrick Rose's height).

Yogi's assist to turnover ratio last year was 1.5. That is not going to cut it in the league and really hurt us this past year although he was somehow the best. Every scholarship player besides Yogi and Gordon had an A:TO ratio less than one. That is staggering, and I needed Oscar Pistorius' puke bucket after looking at the stats.

isnt yogi listed as 5'11/6'0?

Agreed on the A:TO ratio. Though the pure assists numbers might look better this next season due to playing with better shooters, a better indication of growth as a point guard would be a significantly better A:TO ratio. One thing he could really look to improve is his decision making after he gets past the initial defender. The main issue was he would get really deep into the defense and it seemed like he hadn't made a decision, which usually led to a turnover. If he could develop a better ability to read a little further ahead in the offense this would help with the turnovers. 

Him jumping and then passing was probably another case of him making a move without having made a decision ahead of time as well. 

isnt yogi listed as 5'11/6'0?

Listed at 6'0, but it's not unusual for those numbers to be exaggerated.  I've personally known coaches to add an inch or so to height and 10-15 pounds to weight.  So if he's listed at 6'0 it's not unrealistic to think he's more like 5'11 or even 5'10.

Isaiah Thomas from the Kings is 5'11" so I don't think height is much of an issue if you can play. Yogi has experience against big names and plays I'm the Big Ten. I'm thinking Yogi stays all four years then gets drafted late 1st/early 2nd round.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

Yogi needs to develop a bit more, and he will have that opportunity. His size will dictate his stay in Candy Stripes, the NBA does like a taller guard unless that guard is highly skilled. He'll get his chance to make an NBA team but he'd benefit by staying in college as long as he can. One mock draft has him as the 8th best PG for next year, second round at best, and unless someone falls in love with him, LATE second round!

What is Yogi's wingspan? I've been searching for it and can't find it anywhere, DraftExpress doesn't have it listed, which is weird for them

DraftExpress says he has an average wingspan, and a page on their site says average wingspan for someone 5'11 (the height they have him at) is about 6'2.

Yogi Ferrell

Average wingspan

Yogi needs to develop a bit more, and he will have that opportunity. His size will dictate his stay in Candy Stripes, the NBA does like a taller guard unless that guard is highly skilled. He'll get his chance to make an NBA team but he'd benefit by staying in college as long as he can. One mock draft has him as the 8th best PG for next year, second round at best, and unless someone falls in love with him, LATE second round!

I know DraftExpress currently has him as the 40th overall pick in the 2015 Draft. This doesn't take into consideration where teams will be drafting, so team needs, or unexpected freshman over performing. Other freshmen underperforming, and of course they can't really accurately gauge one players growth from year to year. 

It is notable that DraftExpress has Jahii Carson going 42nd in their current mock draft. He measures very well to Yogi in terms of size and stats

I know DraftExpress currently has him as the 40th overall pick in the 2015 Draft. This doesn't take into consideration where teams will be drafting, so team needs, or unexpected freshman over performing. Other freshmen underperforming, and of course they can't really accurately gauge one players growth from year to year. 

It is notable that DraftExpress has Jahii Carson going 42nd in their current mock draft. He measures very well to Yogi in terms of size and stats

Carson is a better athlete than Yogi, also a more versatile scorer. 

Carson is a better athlete than Yogi, also a more versatile scorer. 

Can't really disagree about the athlete stuff. But disagree a bit with the scoring stuff. Yogi shot the ball from three better, though only marginally 40% to 39%, while shooting it a lot more, Yogi shot 220 while Jahii shot 92. Yogi's true shooting and effective shooting percentages are both better than Jahii's, 57% and 52% for Yogi, 52% and 47% for Jahii. 

Think his best bet to stay in the league if/when he gets there is trying to me as much like Derek fischer as possible. Similar size and fischer was able to play his role perfect. Just needs to knock down shots and get the ball where it needs to go (easier said than done).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners