Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

djsalway

The Masters Thread

Tony Finau is a beast. If I would have done that to my foot I'd be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

A conversation I was having with a friend the other day, was the top end talent better in the Palmer-Nicklaus era or the Tiger Woods era?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's an unfair assessment, because of how better the equipment is, it is tough to say if the golfers are actually better or just using better things. Though I'd have to say the parity in the game today says it's better today then honestly the Jack or Tiger days

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm a Jordan fan. I'm kinda late to the party because I just you woke up for work and see he's leading. Don't want to come off as a wagon jumper lol. 

Big Jordan fan, for his personality more then his golf game honestly. Seems like a real genuine guy

Same. He seems like a class act and doesn't have to overpower a course to win. His fake translates much better as he ages.

It's an unfair assessment, because of how better the equipment is, it is tough to say if the golfers are actually better or just using better things. Though I'd have to say the parity in the game today says it's better today then honestly the Jack or Tiger days

I might have worded that wrong. It's not about the equipment, how good golfers are now vs then, or just using better things. It's more trying to understand the competition.

My thought was Jack's 18 majors are more impressive because there were other dominant golfers at that time. Tiger was THE dominant golfer in his prime. I haven't looked it up but I might do some research into it. Something about how many other players won 3, 4, or 5 majors at the same time each player was in his prime.

Reading about the relationship between Palmer and Nicklaus is awesome. It's amazing how they could both be fierce competitors but have compassion for one another off the course.

My initial thought is the tour is much deeper in modern day but there were more top players in the Palmer v. Nicklaus rivalry era.

4 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Tony Finau is a beast. If I would have done that to my foot I'd be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

A conversation I was having with a friend the other day, was the top end talent better in the Palmer-Nicklaus era or the Tiger Woods era?

I think many, if not most, golfers of Tiger's era have been mentally intimidated. I thought many basketball players of Jordan's era were the same. "Let's play nice and settle for second or he'll embarrass us" mentality. Not sure that was the case in Jack's day. 

I might have worded that wrong. It's not about the equipment, how good golfers are now vs then, or just using better things. It's more trying to understand the competition.

My thought was Jack's 18 majors are more impressive because there were other dominant golfers at that time. Tiger was THE dominant golfer in his prime. I haven't looked it up but I might do some research into it. Something about how many other players won 3, 4, or 5 majors at the same time each player was in his prime.

Reading about the relationship between Palmer and Nicklaus is awesome. It's amazing how they could both be fierce competitors but have compassion for one another off the course.

My initial thought is the tour is much deeper in modern day but there were more top players in the Palmer v. Nicklaus rivalry era.

Yeah I get that, but one could say it's not that those two were so good but that the rest were just not. I agree Tiger had maybe Phil then no one, but today it's so deep with great young guys, like Rory, Jordan, Jason, Dustin and so others that's it's just impressive. I truly think this is the best time to get into golf

Yeah I get that, but one could say it's not that those two were so good but that the rest were just not. I agree Tiger had maybe Phil then no one, but today it's so deep with great young guys, like Rory, Jordan, Jason, Dustin and so others that's it's just impressive. I truly think this is the best time to get into golf

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. Even Phil didn't start winning until a little later. Tiger had already dominated the tour by that point. There isn't another player that would be in the same category as Tiger at his prime.

There's no doubt, to me, this is the deepest the tour as been. I'm not sure the talent compared to the 60s or 70s. It would be interesting to see what the players of the past could do with today's technology and equipment and what today's players could accomplish with yesteryears equipment.

There's stories of Palmer driving a 335 yard par 4 and Nicklaus driving it over the green. Would they be longer with the massive drivers of today?

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. Even Phil didn't start winning until a little later. Tiger had already dominated the tour by that point. There isn't another player that would be in the same category as Tiger at his prime.

There's no doubt, to me, this is the deepest the tour as been. I'm not sure the talent compared to the 60s or 70s. It would be interesting to see what the players of the past could do with today's technology and equipment and what today's players could accomplish with yesteryears equipment.

There's stories of Palmer driving a 335 yard par 4 and Nicklaus driving it over the green. Would they be longer with the massive drivers of today?

Haha there's always stories, but no doubt they would be longer then they were that is for certain.

Who moves on moving day? I'd like to see Thomas and Spieth work their way up the leaderboard to be in one of the last pairings tomorrow.

I have a feeling Reed will drop back a bit and DJ moves up.

Who moves on moving day? I'd like to see Thomas and Spieth work their way up the leaderboard to be in one of the last pairings tomorrow.

Way off on that! Reed is tearing it up. 2 eagles in 3 holes. I thought DJ could have an advantage with his length but never got it going. Happy to see Fowler shoot low round of the week to get in contention. There is a ton of young talent and it's fun to watch. A Ricki, Rory, and Reed shootout on Sunday would be fun.

I didn't know this, but apparently Patrick Reed is not particularly popular with the fans -- or his fellow pros. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/patrick-reed-masters-popularity-why-do-so-many-fans-hate-him

I like it! (Sans a few inexcusable slip ups). A golfer cussing on the course?! It could be just what they presented at the end of an article: a college kid making mistakes and growing up. That dual with Rory was awesome and I hope we see more of it tomorrow.

Reed holding as of now thru 4 holes. I really hope McIiroy doesn’t win this! I don’t care for him for some reason

Reed holding as of now thru 4 holes. I really hope McIiroy doesn’t win this! I don’t care for him for some reason

I don't mind McIlroy. I saw him up in Indy and put on a good performance. McIlroy completing the career grand slam would be cool. Spieth coming back to win this would be crazy. Reed holding off the field would be a good story for a "villain."