Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2014) C Link Kabadyundi to TCU

[quote name="KelleyHoosh" post="58681" timestamp="1397065130"]Eh, what's the harm? We need bodies at this point, especially big bodies. At this stage in the game we aren't going to get a game changer this cycle, unless maybe a 5th year transfer... But that's moot to the point of needing scholarships down the road. He could be a guy that is a good 4 year player for us. I say go after him! What's to lose

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote] You lose a scholarship spot for four years. Has anyone here ever heard of this guy or seen him play? We know nothing about him other than he's a 7-footer that has touched a basketball. This kind of player could prove highly rewarding but the risks are extremely high. Recall, multiple people were wondering why Jurkin still had a scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="scottybower" post="58684" timestamp="1397065391"]You lose a scholarship spot for four years. Has anyone here ever heard of this guy or seen him play? We know nothing about him other than he's a 7-footer that has touched a basketball. This kind of player could prove highly rewarding but the risks are extremely high. Recall, multiple people were wondering why Jurkin still had a scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Crean obviously doesn't have a problem with offering this kind of guy. I just have some optimism toward the kid. We need bodies, that's priority number 1 in my opinion

We have three open scholarships at this point. Crean IS NOT banking a scholarship, so don't count on it. Who else are we going to get this late in the game? Might as well go after him because we have to fill those three scholarships at some point. I'm hoping for Thompson and Harris, as well as a 5th year guy, but if we don't get any of those, this guy could fill it.

Giving scholarships just to fill spots is how you end up with players who don't fit the program or our needs which leads to transfers and this forum getting upset with Crean's recruiting strategies.

[quote name="theriverpilot" post="58747" timestamp="1397084193"]What was Joel Embiid ranked by Scouts, etc coming out of high school? Just curious because I don't recall him being a big name but now...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

5 Star in the 25 range. Didn't really pick up until he was older because he was mainly a volleyball and soccer player in Africa. He didn't start basketball until about 3 or 4 years ago.

What was Joel Embiid ranked by Scouts, etc coming out of high school? Just curious because I don't recall him being a big name but now...

Rivals:  5* 25 overall, 3 center

Scout:  5* 2 center

247:  5* 13 overall, 2 center

ESPN:  5* 6 overall, 1 center

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="58749" timestamp="1397084885"]Rivals: 5* 25 overall, 3 center
Scout: 5* 2 center
247: 5* 13 overall, 2 center
ESPN: 5* 6 overall, 1 center[/quote]

I was obviously wasn't paying attention then! I was under the impression that he was a no-name that had a breakout year.

The rating services that paid attention had him skyrocketing towards the end of his Senior season.  Many had him top 5 potential by the end but over the year he went from nowhere to 5 star status and rising.

He is another that needs another 2 or 3 years of strength and development but will be drafter really high due to potential.

Uwe Blap. This is fun. I just named a project center that actually competed and played well although he had hands of stone. It can be done.

Wrong-oh Marylou!

His name was Uwe BlaB.
'twas merely pronounced "BlaP"