Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2014) C Trevor Thompson to OSU

Committed to OSU - 4/13/14

Delafield, WI (St. John's Northwestern Military Academy)
Ht: 6-10 | Wt: 210
AAU: EG All-Stars

Maybe another name out there. A freshman transfer from VT. Originally from Indy(Ben Davis). He may have to sit out a year.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  28m
Don't be surprised if the big boys try to get involved with Virginia Tech 7-foot frosh Trevor Thompson. Teams like KU, Ohio State, IU, etc.

Trevor Thompson, a seven-footer that started 11 games for the Hokies as a freshman, will be transferring out of the program, according to a report. He averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 boards.

Thompson was a three-star recruit in the Class of 2013 out of Indianapolis, with interest from programs like Arizona State, Tennessee and Xavier, according to Rivals.

[quote name="ccgeneral" post="51701" timestamp="1395518836"]Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 28m
Don't be surprised if the big boys try to get involved with Virginia Tech 7-foot frosh Trevor Thompson. Teams like KU, Ohio State, IU, etc.

[url="http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/report-virginia-techs-trevor-thompson-to-transfer/"]http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/22/report-virginia-techs-trevor-thompson-to-transfer/[/url]

Trevor Thompson, a seven-footer that started 11 games for the Hokies as a freshman, will be transferring out of the program, according to a report. He averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 boards.

Thompson was a three-star recruit in the Class of 2013 out of Indianapolis, with interest from programs like Arizona State, Tennessee and Xavier, according to Rivals.[/quote]

I'll take those numbers. Great for depth anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Probably better than most of the 2014 guys we're scouting.

Yeah, the 2013 class was far better than the 2014 class as a whole.  When you are this late in the game for recruiting, this is a dream possibility.  He has one year under his belt.  Will sit out a year.  We would bring in a Junior with 3 years of eligibility that is 7 ft.  He also put up solid numbers.  I would take that.  

Yeah, the 2013 class was far better than the 2014 class as a whole.  When you are this late in the game for recruiting, this is a dream possibility.  He has one year under his belt.  Will sit out a year.  We would bring in a Junior with 3 years of eligibility that is 7 ft.  He also put up solid numbers.  I would take that.  

True, but he doesn't give immediate help for next season. I'd rather we take a 2014 player and get a big as 5th year transfer. Just my opinion, but Trevor Thompson would also be a good addition to the program for sure

True, but he doesn't give immediate help for next season. I'd rather we take a 2014 player and get a big as 5th year transfer. Just my opinion, but Trevor Thompson would also be a good addition to the program for sure

Good possibility we have more than a couple of spots open up.  I want Lee.  I think we could feasibly add as many as 3 players.  Sad but true when you play the way we did.  

Good possibility we have more than a couple of spots open up.  I want Lee.  I think we could feasibly add as many as 3 players.  Sad but true when you play the way we did.  

Ah okay didn't know that! I still need time to familiarize myself with the program... Thats crazy to hear and in that case I'm all for adding Trevor. For all the reasons you listed, he would be a great get

Ah okay didn't know that! I still need time to familiarize myself with the program... Thats crazy to hear and in that case I'm all for adding Trevor. For all the reasons you listed, he would be a great get

I hope it is only 2, but there will be attrition.  Last year there 400 transfers in D1 basketball alone.  When you are IU there will be a lot of tough love.  It will either be work or leave, or you won't get any minutes next year.  Every team has transfers.  This team will be no different.  We probably won't know for 100% who until right before the 1st summer session.  

I hope it is only 2, but there will be attrition.  Last year there 400 transfers in D1 basketball alone.  When you are IU there will be a lot of tough love.  It will either be work or leave, or you won't get any minutes next year.  Every team has transfers.  This team will be no different.  We probably won't know for 100% who until right before the 1st summer session.  

Ah okay. I've always been a basketball fan. In fact, I've played AAU and coached since I was 14. But I haven't followed college basketball as closely as I used to. I'm more familiar with football recruiting these days so I have to get back in the groove of basketball. 

Are transfers normally made known at a time that the coaching staff would be able to go pick up another player without having to wait til the next cycle? When are the signing days for college basketball? 

Sorry to load you up with questions... I appreciate your perspective, mdn!

Ah okay. I've always been a basketball fan. In fact, I've played AAU and coached since I was 14. But I haven't followed college basketball as closely as I used to. I'm more familiar with football recruiting these days so I have to get back in the groove of basketball. 

Are transfers normally made known at a time that the coaching staff would be able to go pick up another player without having to wait til the next cycle? When are the signing days for college basketball? 

Sorry to load you up with questions... I appreciate your perspective, mdn!

No problem.  The late signing period is soon, and basically goes right up to the start of the first summer session.  That is for incoming freshman.  They can play right away assuming their grades are in order.  More times than not the best players have already signed in the early session in November.  The only way these kids become available is if a coach is fired and the kid is released from his LOI.  Usually kids that transfer will do so before the first summer session so they can get everything in order heading into their new school.  They will have to sit out a year.  5th year seniors have got a degree and sat out a year.  They are a great commodity because they only take up a year and if you have the scholly to burn it has no downside.  They also have experience and played at this level.  The coaches and players have a good idea of who is going and coming at this time of year.  The ones that surprise the coaches is when they do it mid-year like Luke.  

No problem.  The late signing period is soon, and basically goes right up to the start of the first summer session.  That is for incoming freshman.  They can play right away assuming their grades are in order.  More times than not the best players have already signed in the early session in November.  The only way these kids become available is if a coach is fired and the kid is released from his LOI.  Usually kids that transfer will do so before the first summer session so they can get everything in order heading into their new school.  They will have to sit out a year.  5th year seniors have got a degree and sat out a year.  They are a great commodity because they only take up a year and if you have the scholly to burn it has no downside.  They also have experience and played at this level.  The coaches and players have a good idea of who is going and coming at this time of year.  The ones that surprise the coaches is when they do it mid-year like Luke.  

Right. 5th years are also really valued in football, probably not as much as in basketball since there are far more players in football. But thanks for clearing this up for me. Lets hope we finish strong to close the recruiting cycle

Right. 5th years are also really valued in football, probably not as much as in basketball since there are far more players in football. But thanks for clearing this up for me. Lets hope we finish strong to close the recruiting cycle

No problem man.  The landscape has changed so much even over the last 10 years I constantly have to keep up on this stuff.  

http://www.indystar.com/story/recruiting-central/2014/03/27/transfers-trevor-thompson-ronnie-johnson/6959423/

A 2012 Ben Davis graduate, has been officially granted his release from Virginia Tech and has no shortage of suitors.

The 6-11 Thompson, who spent a year at St. John's Northwestern Military Academy after high school, played in 30 games and started 11 as a freshman at Virginia Tech. He averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds for the Hokies.

Thompson has heard from Arizona, Auburn, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue, Tennessee and Xavier since getting his release. He'll work to set up visits in the near future.

No IU on that list??

Crean heard of this one kid, Ivan Renko Jr, and is trying to find someplace to watch him.

EDIT:  He also sent an assistant to watch Ermahgerd Madea, a 6-5 wing that has never even seen a basketball but Crean thinks he has potential because he's "springy".