Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
BlueDevil

2014 Indiana High School Jr/Sr All Star Game

It's a known fact that natives of Indiana possess a larger frontal cortex which blesses them with increased court perception and overall basketball intelligence. Crean isn't much of a believer in science, and thus refuses to acknowledge this truth and recruit every player in Indiana.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Hence Middle School Bob Priller; raised in Texas, but born in the haven of cortex development, Indiana!

[quote name="Stuhoo" post="70850" timestamp="1403114251"]Hence Middle School Bob Priller; raised in Texas, but born in the haven of cortex development, Indiana![/quote]

Why else would the Incarnate Word staff have had him at the top of their board? They only recruit the largest of frontal cortexses in the land!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

^^POPPYCOCK!!^^

The IU staff recruits five star bigs (Cody, Noah), but when they become lottery picks, we only get a total of three years out of the two of them. They also recruit five star bigs that simply do not end up at IU.

The IU staff recruits four star bigs (Hanner, CWat) who develop at IU, and recruits countless four star bigs who do not choose IU.

The IU staff recruits three star bigs (Devin Davis, Capo, Pritch, Jurkin, Elston, Bawa) who turn into productive players less often. We also recruit three star bigs who do not choose IU, but only when we have open slots because the five and four star bigs said "no".

When all else fails, the IU staff recruits project/unranked bigs, hopefully ones that have upside.

What I am curious about is: which Indiana kid, high basketball IQ bigs do you wish we went hard after and brought into the fold instead of these "projects"? (please don't cite TLyles who we DID go hard after, or guys with grade/attitude problems like McGary or Hammons).

EXAMPLES PLEASE!!

Give examples but leave out the most talented players. That sure is fair like you leaving off Noah and Cody in your examples. But I will play along. Would I have rather given a scholarship to McRoberts or Smits rather than Bawa, PJ, Guy Marc, or Jobe? Yes, in a skinny minute. And for those saying Hoosier roots being brought up in Indiana doesn't mean a thing; just take a look at college or the pro ranks regarding players, coaches and personnel. And you wonder why the south kicks a$$ in college football and pro players. Its the same reason; they learn and play the game from an early age.Athletic IQ is ingrained in the culture. It makes better players and coaches in the particular sport of interest.

[quote name="schoosier" post="70891" timestamp="1403132963"]Give examples but leave out the most talented players. That sure is fair like you leaving off Noah and Cody in your examples. But I will play along. Would I have rather given a scholarship to McRoberts or Smits rather than Bawa, PJ, Guy Marc, or Jobe? Yes, in a skinny minute. And for those saying Hoosier roots being brought up in Indiana doesn't mean a thing; just take a look at college or the pro ranks regarding players, coaches and personnel. And you wonder why the south kicks a$$ in college football and pro players. Its the same reason; they learn and play the game from an early age.Athletic IQ is ingrained in the culture. It makes better players and coaches in the particular sport of interest.[/quote] So basically what you're saying is that this abundance of basketball IQ in Indiana is something Crean and crew are unaware of. And when they go watch these kids play and don't offer them because they most not have been convinced of the players ability, they were wrong? Because they choose to recruit better players from elsewhere around the country?

Give examples but leave out the most talented players. That sure is fair like you leaving off Noah and Cody in your examples. But I will play along. Would I have rather given a scholarship to McRoberts or Smits rather than Bawa, PJ, Guy Marc, or Jobe? Yes, in a skinny minute. And for those saying Hoosier roots being brought up in Indiana doesn't mean a thing; just take a look at college or the pro ranks regarding players, coaches and personnel. And you wonder why the south kicks a$$ in college football and pro players. Its the same reason; they learn and play the game from an early age.Athletic IQ is ingrained in the culture. It makes better players and coaches in the particular sport of interest.

Holy crap.

Your examples of who are better "bigs" than Bawa, PJ, etc are a 6'7" 190 lb forward who is unranked and going to Vermont, and a high school junior?

YOU SAID YOU WOULD GIVE US EXAMPLES...of which Indiana high IQ bigs would have been better with schollys than our project bigs that didn't work out.

By the way, those project bigs that you cited collectively took up only four scholly years.

I would also like you to answer why we can't just continue to have those Indiana unranked kids as preferred walk-ons, much like Jeff Howard and Ryan Burton, while saving the scollys for kids with a higher ceiling.

Waiting for a response, por favor.

So basically what you're saying is that this abundance of basketball IQ in Indiana is something Crean and crew are unaware of. And when they go watch these kids play and don't offer them because they most not have been convinced of the players ability, they were wrong? Because they choose to recruit better players from elsewhere around the country?Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

If that's what I said please feel free to quote me. But, it isn't. Recruiting better players and actually signing them are two different things? Hiw many of these top recruits did we sign? And like the other poster makes his own rules, you cannot include JB2 since he was committed since his freshman season.

Holy crap.

Your examples of who are better "bigs" than Bawa, PJ, etc are a 6'7" 190 lb forward who is unranked and going to Vermont, and a high school junior?

YOU SAID YOU WOULD GIVE US EXAMPLES...of which Indiana high IQ bigs would have been better with schollys than our project bigs that didn't work out.

By the way, those project bigs that you cited collectively took up only four scholly years.

I would also like you to answer why we can't just continue to have those Indiana unranked kids as preferred walk-ons, much like Jeff Howard and Ryan Burton, while saving the scollys for kids with a higher ceiling.

Waiting for a response, por favor.

I said I would give examples or did you ask me. You created the rule of not including any of the best ones. But I will say if you have to give a scholly to a project, I would give it to Smits vs any we have seen from this staff. I would have also given one to Mcroberts before the two coming in next year. Just my opinion which I'm entitled to. Isn't this what the forum is for? Not all of us will think alike.

If that's what I said please feel free to quote me. But, it isn't. Recruiting better players and actually signing them are two different things? Hiw many of these top recruits did we sign? And like the other poster makes his own rules, you cannot include JB2 since he was committed since his freshman season.

This will be the fourth straight year that one of our freshmen is a McDonald's All-American five star player.  

That's how many of these top recruits we have signed.

I said I would give examples or did you ask me. You created the rule of not including any of the best ones. But I will say if you have to give a scholly to a project, I would give it to Smits vs any we have seen from this staff. I would have also given one to Mcroberts before the two coming in next year. Just my opinion which I'm entitled to. Isn't this what the forum is for? Not all of us will think alike.

Absolutely fair to state your opinion that "no-star 6'7" 190 lb, 13.1 ppg his senior year" Zach McRoberts would be who you would sign over April or Priller. 

I could not disagree more. If we could have had McRoberts as a walk-on? Sure.

[quote name="schoosier" post="70943" timestamp="1403191040"]If that's what I said please feel free to quote me. But, it isn't. Recruiting better players and actually signing them are two different things? Hiw many of these top recruits did we sign? And like the other poster makes his own rules, you cannot include JB2 since he was committed since his freshman season.[/quote] We have signed Zeller, Yogi, Vonleh and JB2. Four McDAA's in four years. Why don't you take a look at how many other teams in the country can say that. It's a short list.

Here's a fun site for you:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/indiana/recruiting#mcdonalds

Here's a link to a database of McDAA's by college:

http://statsheet.com/bhsb/mcplayers_by_college

If you look from the perspective of McDAA's per team since Crean got here in 2008, Indiana is up there in that second tier. UK, Duke and UNC are by far and away leading the pack. Even evaluating Crean starting in 2008 is somewhat unfair as he didn't start recruiting for IU until April when I doubt any McDAA's were left. I still don't understand your point about us not signing top talent.

This will be the fourth straight year that one of our freshmen is a McDonald's All-American five star player.  

That's how many of these top recruits we have signed.

Forgot to add "this recruiting class" not counting Blackmon since I could not state the obvious where you made the rules. Also, how many do we have going forward? It won't matter as I don't see Crean making it to another class anyway. JMO:-)

[quote name="schoosier" post="70976" timestamp="1403214849"]Forgot to add "this recruiting class" not counting Blackmon since I could not state the obvious where you made the rules. Also, how many do we have going forward? It won't matter as I don't see Crean making it to another class anyway. JMO:-)[/quote] This guy.