Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierReb01

LHP Kyle Hart Injury Report

So about 9-12 months recovery.  His UCL was probably getting weaker gradually, it's usually not a sudden tear.

Unfortunately being a Cubs fan I have seen this a bit.  They are more cautious with younger kids coming back.  They always give a timeline of 12 months to 18 months.  Usually they can start tossing a ball at 6 months to build up strength.  I am no doctor, but this is all too frequent anymore.  I don't know strength and conditioning is causing this to occur more?  Hopefully this allows him to come back stronger and have a chance as a prospect.  

Unfortunately being a Cubs fan I have seen this a bit.  They are more cautious with younger kids coming back.  They always give a timeline of 12 months to 18 months.  Usually they can start tossing a ball at 6 months to build up strength.  I am no doctor, but this is all too frequent anymore.  I don't know strength and conditioning is causing this to occur more?  Hopefully this allows him to come back stronger and have a chance as a prospect.  

I looked it up online and it said 12-18 is commonly quoted but with modern techniques it's more like 9-12, that's why I posted it.  Tommy John himself needed 18 months, but he also suffered a major setback in his recovery.  Here's an article.

I don't know what's causing it.  Some teams were limiting pitch counts and innings, but that hasn't helped.  The Rangers were wanting to get their pitchers going longer in games but that hasn't really helped either.  A while back I heard one factor might be that kids want to learn to throw breaking balls, because it's "cool" to make the ball break, but breaking balls just speed up the process to a major injury.  At the time it was suggested the kids learn a change up first and as they get older start working on breaking pitches.  I'm not really sure how true that is though, but it does kind of make some sense to me since it's adding the extra strain from a breaking ball to a less developed arm so the breakdown starts earlier.  At the end of the day though throwing the ball is an unnatural motion and puts a lot of strain on the arm and shoulder.

I looked it up online and it said 12-18 is commonly quoted but with modern techniques it's more like 9-12, that's why I posted it.  Tommy John himself needed 18 months, but he also suffered a major setback in his recovery.  Here's an article.

I don't know what's causing it.  Some teams were limiting pitch counts and innings, but that hasn't helped.  The Rangers were wanting to get their pitchers going longer in games but that hasn't really helped either.  A while back I heard one factor might be that kids want to learn to throw breaking balls, because it's "cool" to make the ball break, but breaking balls just speed up the process to a major injury.  At the time it was suggested the kids learn a change up first and as they get older start working on breaking pitches.  I'm not really sure how true that is though, but it does kind of make some sense to me since it's adding the extra strain from a breaking ball to a less developed arm so the breakdown starts earlier.  At the end of the day though throwing the ball is an unnatural motion and puts a lot of strain on the arm and shoulder.

I think they say 18 months to be at 100%.  Usually pitchers are pitching at the end of the year but it is a strict pitch count.  Could play a part in it too.  

I looked it up online and it said 12-18 is commonly quoted but with modern techniques it's more like 9-12, that's why I posted it. Tommy John himself needed 18 months, but he also suffered a major setback in his recovery. Here's an article.<br /><br />I don't know what's causing it. Some teams were limiting pitch counts and innings, but that hasn't helped. The Rangers were wanting to get their pitchers going longer in games but that hasn't really helped either. A while back I heard one factor might be that kids want to learn to throw breaking balls, because it's "cool" to make the ball break, but breaking balls just speed up the process to a major injury. At the time it was suggested the kids learn a change up first and as they get older start working on breaking pitches. I'm not really sure how true that is though, but it does kind of make some sense to me since it's adding the extra strain from a breaking ball to a less developed arm so the breakdown starts earlier. At the end of the day though throwing the ball is an unnatural motion and puts a lot of strain on the arm and shoulder.

I took pitching lessons from a former major leaguer when I was about 10 or so and he would not even let me think about throwing a curve. A slider was okay sometimes because you still throw it with the same arm velocity of a fastball, but even the slider was off limits most times. I was taught early on that I needed to develop my fastball(s) and my off-speed pitch should be a change up. So, in order to develop a more rounded repertoire, I went with both fastballs (2-seam and 4-seam) along with a regular change up and a circle change, with the occasional slider. I know that it was important to all of my coaches early on that I do not throw a curve, for this reason alone. I honestly don't know what else can be done to prevent it though. It's seems to be so random.