Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

Pineda had some really shiny dirt on that hand last night. Those dirty Yankees.

Looked like pine tar to me.  Yeah, it's a banned substance but the rule is very loosely enforced.  Actually, doing things like that is common practice and most people don't care unless the ball is covered in it.  Do I condone using a banned substance?  No, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of something that happens quite a bit.

The Red Sox didn't care either, their general reaction was "who cares".  Although they're the last team to get upset about someone using a banned substance, with Bucholz running his hands through his greasy hair and Ortiz being a steroid user.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="59096" timestamp="1397237956"]Looked like pine tar to me. Yeah, it's a banned substance but the rule is very loosely enforced. Actually, doing things like that is common practice and most people don't care unless the ball is covered in it. Do I condone using a banned substance? No, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of something that happens quite a bit.

The Red Sox didn't care either, their general reaction was "who cares". Although they're the last team to get upset about someone using a banned substance, with Bucholz running his hands through his greasy hair and Ortiz being a steroid user.[/quote]

Yeah I generally don't think it's a big deal because I think there are more guys who try to get an advantage that just don't get busted and it's obvious by how it's swept aside. I just couldn't believe how obvious he was about it.

Yeah I generally don't think it's a big deal because I think there are more guys who try to get an advantage that just don't get busted and it's obvious by how it's swept aside. I just couldn't believe how obvious he was about it.

Yeah, that's what got me.  It's common practice, but usually they're more discreet than that.  Kenny Rogers wasn't the most discreet either when he had what looked like pine tar on his hand in the world series.

p1-rogers-hand-pw.jpg

He says it was dirt and rosin, but looks an awful lot like what was an Pineda's hand.

Or Joe Niekro trying to throw his emery board and sandpaper away before the ump saw him, and failed.

That is without a doubt pine tar. No way that's sweat and dirt or rosin.

Sent from the can using BtownBanners

I've always thought it was.  It also disappeared between innings

pine_20tar.jpg

He was good the entire game so it's not like it really mattered.  I still remember when Mitch Williams and Harold Reynolds got in an argument on MLBN about what pine tar does to a ball.

Hoping Chris Sale has a spectacular year. An FGCU baseball player.

Sale improved to 3-0 tonight Nips. He has half of the White Sox 6 wins. At this pace he will only have to win 40 in order for the Sox to be the .500 team I hoped they could be this year.

[quote name="johnsoniu" post="59252" timestamp="1397275015"]Sale improved to 3-0 tonight Nips. He has half of the White Sox 6 wins. At this pace he will only have to win 40 in order for the Sox to be the .500 team I hoped they could be this year.[/quote]

We will not be the 13th team in the AL as SI projected. Desperate need of a good righty in the rotation. I wouldn't be surprised to see beckham hit the trading block. Lot of depth at 2nd in the organization. But if the offense can keep producing we will surprise a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Man, I had such high expectations for Jason Heyward as a Brave, last year was disappointing, though injuries hurt his development. And the start of this year has been concerning. At least Freddie is living up to his hype, and Justin Upton is off to a hot start

Rhetorical question: Does MLB have an unwritten rule that any Sunday game between the Red Sox and Yankees is automatically televised by ESPN? It's nice to know that about 10 Sunday night games this season will be pumping a rivalry that really isn't as big as it used to be.