Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

This Cards/Reds game is a great argument for automating the ball/strike calls. 

While umpires make errors, I hate the idea of an automated strike zone. As a coach of the game players are becoming self-entitled babies with the strike zone. How many good strikes do players watch, and then argue at a borderline pitch that can go either way. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Baseball has too many changes that people want to make. Some are great, but making everything automated will take so much away from this game imo. I will still watch baseball if it happens, but I love the umpires making the calls! There needs to be a wider strike zone anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

30 minutes ago, JaybobHoosier said:

While umpires make errors, I hate the idea of an automated strike zone. As a coach of the game players are becoming self-entitled babies with the strike zone. How many good strikes do players watch, and then argue at a borderline pitch that can go either way. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Baseball has too many changes that people want to make. Some are great, but making everything automated will take so much away from this game imo. I will still watch baseball if it happens, but I love the umpires making the calls! There needs to be a wider strike zone anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Too each their own I’m tired of watching guys swing at garbage because the guy behind the plate Is on a power trip and decided balls high and out side are strikes but not pitches actually in the strike zone that are kinda low. 

Count me in the automated strike zone camp, there are still other calls the umps would have to make without worrying about human error screwing that one up.  Watch a low pitch get called a strike on Aaron Judge just because it'd be at the knees for an average player; that's just one example why it's needed.

48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Too each their own I’m tired of watching guys swing at garbage because the guy behind the plate Is on a power trip and decided balls high and out side are strikes but not pitches actually in the strike zone that are kinda low. 

I love when a catcher sets up on a corner, the pitcher misses the spot but throws it waist high straight down the middle...and its called a ball.

Also, Verlander threw another no-no. Its all about the deer antler spray.

45 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I'd be less critical if they were at least some semblance of consistency, but there's not.  What's a ball in one half inning a lot of times gets called a strike in another half inning.  Or the example I'd just posted, Aaron Judge having pitches well below his knees called strikes just because it is for most players; he 10 feet tall, a low strike for most players is a ball for him.

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

I love when a catcher sets up on a corner, the pitcher misses the spot but throws it waist high straight down the middle...and its called a ball.

Also, Verlander threw another no-no. Its all about the deer antler spray.

Yep, another example why it's needed.

As it is we're leaving a critical part of the game to human error and judgement; and A LOT of mistakes happen that could be easily avoided.

If you can find me a human ump that can get calls 90% correct with 90% consistency on the same pitch I’ll shut my mouth. But till then give me automated. 

Hitters shouldn’t have to worry about what’s a ball and what’s a strike changing AB to AB

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Cardinals seem to think they already locked the division up.  Not going to be shocked if they choke and let the Cubs take the division. 

Blown save grand slam top of the 9th

Cubs will be two down after today. 

Organization has been a mess since La Russa retired 

14 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Blown save grand slam top of the 9th

Cubs will be two down after today. 

Organization has been a mess since La Russa retired 

Bullpen issues excluded, the Cubs are becoming the walking wounded though. Javy, Addie, now Rizzo? At least the next guys up haven't been a bust, yet!

Bullpen issues excluded, the Cubs are becoming the walking wounded though. Javy, Addie, now Rizzo? At least the next guys up haven't been a bust, yet!
Boo hoo, my team(Yankees) have lost about 14,000 games to injury this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

They're 98-53....

They had some unexpectedly good production from fill ins like Gio Urshela.  The record alone doesn't tell the whole story.

Two SPs on DL all season along with a key reliever, starting SS missed early part of the year, Judge missed time, Sanchez missed time twice, Voit missed time, Stanton only played 9 games, lost goes on and on.  They have been hit hard with injuries this year, deep roster and unexpected performances saved the record.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, Brass Cannon said:

Cardinals seem to think they already locked the division up.  Not going to be shocked if they choke and let the Cubs take the division. 

I'd say go ahead and book this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards get swept by the Nats (Strasburg, Corbin, Scherzer) while the Cubs sweep the Reds and we go to Chicago in 2nd place. Momentum alone at that point would mean we blow even a chance at the wild card. Losing 2 to the Rockies against two miserable pitchers was a very bad sign. Yesterday was like confirmation. I've never felt more comfortable sticking a fork in a first place team. 

Yes, this is a very doom and gloom outlook. It just seems like the most likely outcome, even if Rizzo is (also) done for the regular season.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, NashvilleHoosier said:

I'd say go ahead and book this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards get swept by the Nats (Strasburg, Corbin, Scherzer) while the Cubs sweep the Reds and we go to Chicago in 2nd place. Momentum alone at that point would mean we blow even a chance at the wild card. Losing 2 to the Rockies against two miserable pitchers was a very bad sign. Yesterday was like confirmation. I've never felt more comfortable sticking a fork in a first place team. 

Yes, this is a very doom and gloom outlook. It just seems like the most likely outcome, even if Rizzo is (also) done for the regular season.

I would love to agree with your awesome outlook, but I'm sticking by my prediction that we don't make the playoffs. By we, I mean the Cubs. 

I think our utter destruction of the Buccos over the weekend, rather than a beginning -- is an ending. I think that was our final surge, so to speak. Our last gasp. The Reds have given us trouble this year (we go into tonight 7-9 against them) and we fired our final shot over the weekend.

Sooner or later, you're reduced to what your are, and I think that's going to show over these final games. You simply cannot go into a hotly contested playoff race without the likes of Baez, Rizzo, Kimbrel and Russell and expect to keep pace. Not making injury excuses, just keeping it real. And we've never gone on a tear this season, and instead have been up and down. And our next trend is down. 

My prediction isn't totally the opposite of you, but close. I bet you take two of three from the Nats and we drop two of three, and you come into Wrigley with a three-game lead.  

I think the Cards win the Central and the Nats and Beermakers take the wild-cards. Hope the Cubs prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath ...