Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

11 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It has more to do in the regular season with options. When you build a playoff team at each series you can pick and choose best matchups. The NL has a hit stretch with the Giants and Cards. That is an anomaly through the last 100 years. It was like one of four instances the NL won 3 in a row and 6 of 8. I don’t think anybody is going to change anyone’s mind. But I do feel there if you have the DH you don’t see a lot of double switches, pitch hitters, sacrifices, etc. With the NL you have a lot of that. Also I have an article that shows the AL had outscored the NL 42 years in a row in 2016. If there wasn’t that much difference, that wouldn’t happen. I could see more frequently with the extra batter, but not 42 years in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I would imagine the extra scoring is exacerbated by NL teams using the extra roster spot on an additional Pitcher. 

I like defense myself especially good pitching. Favorite game is game 5 Cards va Phillies from 2011

I would imagine the extra scoring is exacerbated by NL teams using the extra roster spot on an additional Pitcher. 
I like defense myself especially good pitching. Favorite game is game 5 Cards va Phillies from 2011

I get that, and I am a NL guy myself, but the DH makes a pretty big difference. I wish the Cubs could have a David Ortiz type of player and only have to hide him during interleague and the playoffs. It’s just not possible. The closest we have come is Schwarber but his defense has affected his hitting. To me it would be nice to have both leagues playing by the same rules. I guess I am glad this change is most likely happening. I am not the biggest fan of 1-0 games though.

26 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I get that, and I am a NL guy myself, but the DH makes a pretty big difference. I wish the Cubs could have a David Ortiz type of player and only have to hide him during interleague and the playoffs. It’s just not possible. The closest we have come is Schwarber but his defense has affected his hitting. To me it would be nice to have both leagues playing by the same rules. I guess I am glad this change is most likely happening. I am not the biggest fan of 1-0 games though.

I’m all for them playing by the same rules would just prefer to get rid of the DH. Or maybe throw in a new wrinkle and the DH can only bat in place of the starting pitcher. 

I can see MLB stoppage being brutal.  

Yeah I think it will be like the early ‘90s stoppage. With what is going on in free agency and teams using the super two rules to their advantage to get an extra year of service, it is going to be bad.

22 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yeah I think it will be like the early ‘90s stoppage. With what is going on in free agency and teams using the super two rules to their advantage to get an extra year of service, it is going to be bad.

Yep.  Until recently players accepted being (comparatively) under paid in their early years for bigger salaries a little later in their career, now they're being squeezed at both ends.  It's not going to be pretty.

The fact we're this close to the season and two 26 year old superstars haven't been signed is crazy.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:22 PM, LamarCheeks said:

Not really surprised by this. I always figured there was a better chance he ended up as an Oakland Raider as opposed to an Oakland A.

I think Kyler is making a mistake here.  

I've seen 13 years and $330 million. ... Good luck with that. ... It seems as if these contracts for 10-plus years rarely work out.

Funny, when it seemed as if the Phils were a distant third to the Giants and Dodgers, their fans were bashing Harper on social media. ... Ooops! 

19 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I've seen 13 years and $330 million. ... Good luck with that. ... It seems as if these contracts for 10-plus years rarely work out.

Funny, when it seemed as if the Phils were a distant third to the Giants and Dodgers, their fans were bashing Harper on social media. ... Ooops! 

That's a lot of money for someone who will be 40 at the end of that contract!

36 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Partly depends on the player's age when he gets the contract; 10 years for a 26 year old isn't the same as 10 years for a 32 year old (like ARod's second).

13 years for a guy 26 now, they'll be hurting the last few years.

57 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Partly depends on the player's age when he gets the contract; 10 years for a 26 year old isn't the same as 10 years for a 32 year old (like ARod's second).

Not really. Its a front loaded contract, his salary in those years wont be that bad at all. Especially with the way payrolls and contracts are going to continue to go up. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Those reports really only started coming today, and a few tweets on twitter doesnt really count as "their fans" bashing Harper. Every fan base has a few fans like that, but Phillies fans havent been that bad towards Harper compared to a lot of other fan bases. Ironically Yankees fans are about the only ones aside from the Phillies that havent been at his throat all offseason.

Not really. Its a front loaded contract, his salary in those years wont be that bad at all. Especially with the way payrolls and contracts are going to continue to go up. 

That’s what I have seen discussed. Front loaded contracts on longer termed deals. Not horrible. I am sure there are opt outs a plenty. If that’s the case I don’t see it being front loaded.

9 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

That’s what I have seen discussed. Front loaded contracts on longer termed deals. Not horrible. I am sure there are opt outs a plenty. If that’s the case I don’t see it being front loaded.

No opt outs at all in the contract. Full no trade clause.

The contract includes a complete no-trade clause and no opt-out clause, meaning Harper could be in a Phillies uniform through 2031. A source said the Phillies extended the term of the contract -- many seemed to believe it would be a 10-year deal -- to spread out their cash outlay and lower the average annual value of Harper’s deal to $25.4 million per season. The number should help the Phillies as they pursue future talent (Mike Trout, anybody?) and try to avoid eclipsing the luxury tax threshold.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-deal-with-phillies

How often are these contracts not horrible?  Seems rare

For sure. More times they are awful. But I don’t think we have ever seen a 26 year old former mvp hit free agency before this year. Injuries are the only thing that makes this a bad deal.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

From what I'm seeing in Twitter-land, the Phils added the last 3 years in order to keep the annual value down for luxury tax purposes(I guess luxury tax threshold goes by annual value than what is paid per year) in exchange for Bryce getting the highest total value ever.