Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

In just five games, the Tigers have managed to:

1) Lose 1-0, twice.

2) Have a walkoff win taken away by a blown replay reversal, which MLB later admitted was the wrong call.

3) Load the bases with no outs in a game, twice, and not score either time.

Only the beginning of what I expect to be monumental ineptitude this season.

10 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

I’m at the Astros game right now and this place has been nuts all night and that Reddick Grand Slam almost made the roof blow off.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I watched the game on the tube. Some major defensive blunders cost the Astros some runs.  Springer gives up an error (which resulted in a run) being lazy in the outfield and Bergman bounces what should have been a routine groundout to first that Marwin couldn't dig out. But some major defensive plays balanced the spectrum. Bergman with the throw from the 3rd base coach box.  Reddick, robbing a 3-run homer, then hitting a 2-run shot and grand slam?! Are you serious?!  

The Astros bats are deeeep.  Add Yuriel into the mix, wow. Scary good.  Their Starting roster is deeeep too.  It was reported that the Astros are on the list of team's that Cole Hamels would approve a trade to. Could you imagine adding Hamels to this staff?  Exciting to think about, but we all know that ain't happening. 

It's nice to see the Astros win on a night that was the worst game Verlander has pitched in a 'Stros uni!

I'm not a big baseball fan, but Shohei Ohtani is fascinating. He went yard for the second time in as many games today. I'm rooting for him.

Sports, in general, are taught differently in Japan and Korea. There are a lot of really talented ball players in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 hours ago, Dalton26 said:

WTF are the Orioles doing? That return for Machado was weak

I'm not sure they had much leverage.  He's just a half season rental and I read somewhere they weren't going to re-sign him.

I'm not sure they had much leverage.  He's just a half season rental and I read somewhere they weren't going to re-sign him.

They really didn’t and that’s a big reason he is gone a week and a half before the deadline. As a Cubs fan damn. That is one hell of a lineup.

10 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

They really didn’t and that’s a big reason he is gone a week and a half before the deadline. As a Cubs fan damn. That is one hell of a lineup.

I'm biased but I was personally hoping the Yankees could pull it off, even though I figured the chances were slim to none.  They really need a pitcher, but all the pitchers that look to be available are as bad as Sonny Gray so I wanted to bolster the lineup.

Already have Gray giving up 5-6 runs in ~3 innings against non-Royals caliber teams, don't need another pitcher to do the same.

3 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I know the Phillies offered a much better prospect than anyone they got from the Dodgers.

On 3/29/2018 at 3:35 PM, Dalton26 said:

I'm actually excited for my Phillies again with a lot of young guys from our Farm system on the roster this season. Probably wont make the playoffs but itll be nice to get a good look at our future

Happily surprised. They came along a season quicker than I expected, still a way to go but I'm definitely encouraged. 

I forgot to mention this.

A few weekends back my brother and I kicked off our annual Baseball Weekend tradition.  We flew into Minneapolis and caught the Twins vs Royals game.  Drove down to Milwaukee and saw the Brewers vs Giants and then drove down to Chicago and saw the White Sox vs Angels.

Target Field in Minneapolis is really nice.  It's a smaller stadium and has a homely feel to it.  I really enjoyed it.  There is a ton of construction downtown but getting to the stadium was simple.  Though we didn't utilize it, they have a nice light rail system running from the airport into downtown.  For never being there before, I left impressed with the city and the stadium.

Miller Field was the first stadium I'd ever been in with a retractable roof.  It was odd to watch a game in basically a cube with out a top.  One thing is for certain, Brewer's fans tailgate like no other.  They showed up in force.  We arrived about an hour before the game and there were tailgaters everywhere.  It was like a football tailgate at a baseball game.  Great fans.  They knew when to get loud without the annoying prompt from the screens.  We killed time in the afternoon by visiting the Harley Davidson museum.  I'm not a HD guy, but I do love motorcycles.  It's also worth the stop if you have the time.

Chicago.  What can I say?  It's Chicago.  The parking was good.  It was easy to get in/out.  The food is outrageously expensive.  $6 for a 20oz pop.  Outlandish.  $10 for a beer.  Most expensive place of the three.  We visited the "Married with Children" fountain and the "Blob" before the game.  Nothing terribly exciting. 

I had been to newer 'Comiskey' before (I can't remember the corp sponsor...Gaurantee something or another) but marked off Minny and Milwaukee from the list.  I'm now at 13 active stadiums and 18 overall.  Next year we're planning a trip to California.  Dodger's, Padres, and Angel's.  Already looking forward to that trip.

Phillies were listed as better favorites for Pollack, Harper, and Machado.

I’d be shocked if they got both Harper and Machado but I like that the front office is trying. J.P. Crawford is my guy tho so if we get one I want Harper and give Crawford(only 23) another shot at SS. Saw where they were discussing Realmuto with the Marlins too, I’d like him but I’ve got high hopes for Alfaro.

Happy about my Cards getting Goldschmidt.  Gave up good prospects that didn't have value at this time.  Would like to see the Cards go all out for Harper, but I don't care if he signs (just want to see the Cards really put forth the effort).  My main concern is getting rid of Fowler.  Please find a way to trade/rid him.  He needs a fresh start elsewhere.  

If the Cards can find a solid bullpen, that would help the most.  Cards were good enough for the playoffs except their bullpen.  Doesn't help that Ozuna had a bum shoulder all season.  Can't understate the value of getting rid of Mabry as the hitting coach.  He was terrible, and can't wait to see our new guy from the Astros get to work.  

This is pretty big news.  

Major League Baseball and the players association announced this afternoon that they’ve reached an agreement with the Cuban government to allow players from the island to be scouted and signed by the league without having to defect.

Full story at:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/12/19/mlb-cuba-players-scout-sign-defection/2366285002/