Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
CampHoosier

Vonleh Talks About NBA Choice

On a team that shot just 45 percent, with a leading scorer in point guard Yogi Ferrell at just 41 percent, Vonleh shot a team-high 52 percent from the field and hit 16 of 33 3-point tries.

“I felt a little held back,” he admitted. “There was more I could do.”

Keep in mind jsut two paragraphs later the writer says:

"Is Vonleh’s baseline say two-time NBA All-Star Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls? Potentially."

So was he out of position or not?  Guys on the wing in the NBA are typically the size of college centers.

Noah is going top 10, maybe top 5, in what is considered one of the more loaded drafts in recent memory. The reason for this is he solidified himself as best rebounder in the class by playing at center and leading the B1G in rebounding.

Keep in mind jsut two paragraphs later the writer says:

"Is Vonleh’s baseline say two-time NBA All-Star Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls? Potentially."

So was he out of position or not?  Guys on the wing in the NBA are typically the size of college centers.

Noah is going top 10, maybe top 5, in what is considered one of the more loaded drafts in recent memory. The reason for this is he solidified himself as best rebounder in the class by playing at center and leading the B1G in rebounding.

But none of that changes the fact that the other snippet is a quote from Vonleh.

I have thought this all along. Its like Crean tells players when/where to shoot it.  Yogi was wide open all year, last year and hardly ever took the shot.  Vonleh was much better used when he got the ball high and screen were set.  Crean wasn't having him do that until late in the year.  What gives?  I think he reads too much analytics and shot charts. 

Teach them not to turn the ball over and let them play the game.

But none of that changes the fact that the other snippet is a quote from Vonleh.

From the tone of the article its pretty clear the agenda of the writer.  He asked leading questions to get the quote he wanted from Noah.  The fact is Noah came to IU and after a year will go very high in the draft.  He was able to display skills on the wing as well as down low.  I think the argument that he would not have played a lot of minutes at center at another school doesn't hold much merit considering other experiences of NBA power forwards in college.

Hey I thought Cody was!

yeah, you're right, but still it was Crean doing evil things. I thought maybe everyone had forgotten about Cody and I could slide one by you guys. Anyhow, it worked out pretty good for him.

From the tone of the article its pretty clear the agenda of the writer.  He asked leading questions to get the quote he wanted from Noah.  The fact is Noah came to IU and after a year will go very high in the draft.  He was able to display skills on the wing as well as down low.  I think the argument that he would not have played a lot of minutes at center at another school doesn't hold much merit considering other experiences of NBA power forwards in college.

This is spot-on, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.  The only story here is the writer's agenda.  With his glaring bias, one cannot expect him to use quotations objectively or to ask questions that do not serve his agenda; rather, he will use snippets of quotes and ask questions which lead him to his purpose: admonish college basketball for taking advantage of players.

Kind of OT, but Embiid has declared for the draft. Should knock Noah down one more pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Pretty sure the current mock drafts all already had Embiid declaring

This is spot-on, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.  The only story here is the writer's agenda.  With his glaring bias, one cannot expect him to use quotations objectively or to ask questions that do not serve his agenda; rather, he will use snippets of quotes and ask questions which lead him to his purpose: admonish college basketball for taking advantage of players.

Correct, here are the first three paragraphs of the article:

"It’s easy for Dick Vitale and the rest of the folks profiting off the Billion Dollar Baby — aka the NCAA Basketball Tournament — to lament the losses of the Jabari Parkers and Noah Vonlehs to the NBA.

They stand, high and mighty, and talk about young players that remain underdeveloped and in “need” of coaching from the likes of Tom Crean, Rick Pitino and the immortal Mike Krzyzewski.

Well, folks, like it or not, Haverhill’s Noah Vonleh is leaving your imperfect little NCAA world where the athletes are exploited and the coaches/colleges cash in."

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="54393" timestamp="1395927635"]yeah, you're right, but still it was Crean doing evil things. I thought maybe everyone had forgotten about Cody and I could slide one by you guys. Anyhow, it worked out pretty good for him.[/quote]

I hear you I've never had a problem interchanging them at the college level not too many teams have 7 footers so many coaches do it.

I hear you I've never had a problem interchanging them at the college level not too many teams have 7 footers so many coaches do it.

Truth is it's so common it's almost cliche.

[quote name="TheStillman" post="54399" timestamp="1395927820"]Pretty sure the current mock drafts all already had Embiid declaring[/quote]

I didn't mean mock drafts. The real draft. He was still on the fence according to pretty much everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I would have liked CTC to experiment with Fischer at the five (before he left) and Vonleh at the four to see if that combination would have been successful.

I'm guessing you would have seen that by the end of the year if Luke had stuck around. People forget he had an injury at the beginning of the year and was being worked in slowly.