Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

Indiana Transfers Impact This Season

They would've brought experience though.

Would they though?  Together they only played 14% of the minutes this season between the three of them.  Of those minutes, they only played 

Stat Sheet tracks "Clutch Minutes" which are "Less than 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half or OT, neither team ahead by more than 5 points.

Here are how many Clutch Minutes those three played this season:

• Hollowell - 5 minutes
  • Etherington -  7 minutes
  • Marlin - 8 Seconds

For reference, Yogi played 41.5 minutes.   I don't think we lost much experience either.

Would they though?  Together they only played 14% of the minutes this season between the three of them.  Of those minutes, they only played 

Stat Sheet tracks "Clutch Minutes" which are "Less than 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half or OT, neither team ahead by more than 5 points.

Here are how many Clutch Minutes those three played this season:

• Hollowell - 5 minutes
  • Etherington -  7 minutes
  • Marlin - 8 Seconds

For reference, Yogi played 41.5 minutes.   I don't think we lost much experience either.

Experience is more than just playing time. It's having veterans who can help show the new players what is expected of them. When to train. How to train. Help them to learn the plays. Help teach them where they need to position themselves on defense. Practice against them. Having upper classmen is important.

While we are unlikely to miss any of them directly on the court, we are likely to miss them, well maybe not Hollowell, in indirect ways that are difficult to measure.

Hollowell and Etherington were bringing experience this year as well. What does experience mean if the execution isn't there? Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Hollowell was a true sophomore and Etherington a redshirt sophomore coming off injury.  With an off-season to work on their game we don't know for certain how they would've looked next season, maybe not much but the majority of freshman cannot be counted on to step in and be upgrades right away.

I'd better not see youth used as an excuse next season, but I know it will be.

[quote name="Rayl" post="52846" timestamp="1395696720"]Experience is more than just playing time. It's having veterans who can help show the new players what is expected of them. When to train. How to train. Help them to learn the plays. Help teach them where they need to position themselves on defense. Practice against them. Having upper classmen is important.

While we are unlikely to miss any of them directly on the court, we are likely to miss them, well maybe not Hollowell, in indirect ways that are difficult to measure.[/quote]

I agree you need upperclassmen, I'm just not sure that losing those there hurt the culture. I won't speak about Etherington and Marlins' contributions in practice, but I think our culture and work ethic might actually go up with Hollowell gone.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Devin Davis had an interesting quote after the Big Ten tournament about next year's returning players. Something about "having good chemistry and working hard together." That kind of made me wonder if the team was already aware who would be staying and coming back well before the season ended, which may have led to some of the aforementioned chemistry issues. 

Individually none of these transfers necessarily concerns me THAT much but it is just the collective effect of having already lost Fischer and Noah going pro in addition to 3 players leaving plus the possibility for more changes...it just leaves me feeling uneasy.

It could well be that Crean recruits sharply to fill the 3 open scholarships, the returning players work hard and we end up with a surprisingly improved team in '14-'15.  But until the dust settles, it is hard for me accurately assess how I feel about the entire thing.

Shouldn't Fischer be included in this as well? Obviously he transferred a while ago, but it was this season. I know his sample size is tiny, but still.

Shouldn't Fischer be included in this as well? Obviously he transferred a while ago, but it was this season. I know his sample size is tiny, but still.

It's fair to include him... Here you go (really only affects Blocks)

[attachment=638:Players Impact 2.0.png]

I really don't understand all the consternation over these departures. Transfers are normal occurrences throughout the NCAA programs. There are 13+ players on every team that think they should be starting, and bench time is not always spent thinking about  how the game is progressing. High school stars expect to be college stars.

I look at Kentucky and expect similar scenarios. Two highly recruited players (Marcus Lee and Derek Willis, remember them?) are sitting long and tall at the far end of the Kentucky bench. A few of the UK players will go pro, but another big class is coming in and expecting to play immediately. Wonder what those two are thinking.

I look at Kentucky and expect similar scenarios. Two highly recruited players (Marcus Lee and Derek Willis, remember them?) are sitting long and tall at the far end of the Kentucky bench. A few of the UK players will go pro, but another big class is coming in and expecting to play immediately. Wonder what those two are thinking.

I really think there are ulterior motives for so many recruits choosing UK. I know that sounds exceptionally obvious, but no one can rationally explain six McDonald's All Americans from the same class electing to go there knowing there's a chance they may not play unless there were other benefits involved. 

[quote name="TheWatShot" post="52897" timestamp="1395700974"]I really think there are ulterior motives for so many recruits choosing UK. I know that sounds exceptionally obvious, but no one can rationally explain six McDonald's All Americans from the same class electing to go there knowing there's a chance they may not play unless there were other benefits involved. [/quote]

At this point Cal doesn't have to do anything illegal. He has people steer players to UK now because those "guardians" "advisors" etc know Cal won't get in the players head about leaving those advisors. They know they can steer players to Cal, they play a year and go pro. Cal won't hurt their draft stock and they'll still have control over said player when they leave and go pro.

It's pretty obvious that Cal doesn't do anything shady at this point in his career because he doesn't have too.

[quote name="jayben00" post="52890" timestamp="1395700501"]I really don't understand all the consternation over these departures. Transfers are normal occurrences throughout the NCAA programs. There are 13+ players on every team that think they should be starting, and bench time is not always spent thinking about how the game is progressing. High school stars expect to be college stars.

I look at Kentucky and expect similar scenarios. Two highly recruited players (Marcus Lee and Derek Willis, remember them?) are sitting long and tall at the far end of the Kentucky bench. A few of the UK players will go pro, but another big class is coming in and expecting to play immediately. Wonder what those two are thinking.[/quote]

My thing is, at least 3 (rumors floating around about 2 others) transferred. 5 people transferring doesn't happen too often from what I've seen. Counting Noah, almost half of our team is gone due to early departure. Add in Sheehey, Gordon, and Howard, and that is the type of turnover that no program can be successful with.