Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XLevel

Assembly Hall, Should we replace it?

Actually, yes it will be replaced.  University Trustees have already approved a Master Plan that includes the replacement of Assembly Hall directly to the south of the existing building.  It would sit adjacent to Cook Hall.  

I think it's important to note that those who lead the university recognize that, for all it's storied history, the very layout of the Hall precludes any appreciable way of renovating to the standards today's arenas are constructed at -- i.e. luxury boxes, etc.  To do so with our current building would simply be cost prohibitive due to the way it is constructed.  

I'd say within the next 10-15 years, there will be a new arena built.  Look really close the next time you go into AH.  The building literally is falling apart.  Maintenance is being done in a patchwork way, simply because the university knows this building is not long for this world.  The last figures I saw showed that a new arena could be built for less than AH could be renovated for.

Myself, I love AH just as much as anyone else does.  I also loathe it too.  My wife has serious health concerns, and she is practically unable to negotiate the steep stairs and many of the quirks of the building.  I'd love to see a facility that is far more accessible than the current AH will ever be.  We need the student section down next to the floor.  That is not possible with the seating configuration of the current AH.  When one stops and seriously thinks about it, it doesn't take long to start poking hole after hole in what has been a familiar part of the IU family, yet clearly is reaching its end of life span.

No. Hell no. I would weep like a baby after you took away his favorite toy. I'm a season ticket holder, I know just as well as anyone that there's bad seats, steep steps, etc.... But what in the world is wrong with you people?