Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

Fred Glass Interview (CBI, Mike Woodson, IU Scheduling)

Some interesting excerpts from the Fred Glass interview with JMV: [list] [*][size=5][color=#800000][b]On CBI Tournament[/b][/color][/size][list] [*]"All the automatic qualifiers knocked us out of the NIT. I think most other years we would have been in the NIT if not for all the automatic qualifiers." [*]On the "It's Indiana" comment. "I didn't mean anything negative by it, I just think to sum it all up that's just not something we want to do. I'm not being cocky, we don't have any reason to be cocky this year. I mean we are Indiana, we do have 5 banners. No elite teams have ever played in the CBI and I wasn't really interested in being the first one."[list] [*][b]"I don't apologize for it, I believe that, again reasonable people can disagree, but that's where I am on it. If I had to do it over I would probably keep my little smart-alec comment to myself."[/b] [/list] [*]"I thought we were about 50/50 (for NIT), I had a sense Illinois might have jumped over us after we lost in the BTT." [*]"I'm not sure how our fans would have had the patience of having 5 home games in a third rate tournament" [*]"I just didn't think it made sense for Indiana" [/list] [*][size=5][color=#800000][b]New York Daily News Article on Woodson to IU[/b][/color][/size][list] [*]"There is absolutely nothing to it. That was crazy" [*]"Nobody has ever hinted at anything like that to me. I'm pretty accessible and that hasn't happened" [*]"My immediate reaction was how ridiculous is that, I really didn't think much about it. I don't try to chase down sources or find stuff. Frankly, wehn I got here there was a little bit of that. My thing is look, if it's true then it doesn't matter who told because it is the truth. If it isn't true, it doesnt' matter either because it isn't true." [/list] [*][color=#800000][size=5][b]Wavering on Tom Crean?[/b][/size][/color][list] [*]"No. No. Not at all." [/list] [*][size=5][color=#800000][b]On Future Scheduling[/b][/color][/size][list] [*]"We're going to have SMU down here. And we'll have the ACC challenge at home." [*]"We want to have a really great key marquee non conference game, so that has been a focus and I'm responsible for that not happening this year."[list] [*][b]Editor Note: yup... SMU is the Key Marquee home game next season...[/b] [/list] [*]"The non conference schedule is more art than science. Teams are better or worse than you expect to be and that affects your RPI." [*][b]"Our general scheduling philosophy will remain the same. It was the same last year as it was this year. Last year we had a great RPI."[/b] [*]"We didn't whiff at the NCAA or the NIT because of our non conference schedule was weak. We didn't get it done in the Big Ten. Even if we scheduled stronger teams in the non conference and even if we beat them, we would still have been 17-15." [*]Dodged a question about playing Indiana State... "We have a great relationship with Indiana State and we'll play them in football next fall." [/list] [/list] [b]You can listen to the interview here. [url="http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2161"]1070 The Fan[/url][/b]

Respect his comments on the CBI issue. Still don't know how i feel about the SMU game. It's definitely a step up from the penal leagues but I feel like we could have gotten someone bigger. SMU is a good win but nothing to beat your chests about especially since they missed the tourney. Yes they should have been in but obviously the committee doesn't respect them.

Respect his comments on the CBI issue. Still don't know how i feel about the SMU game. It's definitely a step up from the penal leagues but I feel like we could have gotten someone bigger. SMU is a good win but nothing to beat your chests about especially since they missed the tourney. Yes they should have been in but obviously the committee doesn't respect them.

I think Indiana is more focused on it being Larry Brown than it being SMU...  I hardly consider that a marque game.  Our biggest non conference, non ACC/B10 Challenge game in Assembly Hall is to a NIT team this season.  There is some comedy in that some where.

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="49484" timestamp="1395109520"]I think Indiana is more focused on it being Larry Brown than it being SMU... I hardly consider that a marque game. Our biggest non conference, non ACC/B10 Challenge game in Assembly Hall is to a NIT team this season. There is some comedy in that some where.[/quote]

It also still bugs me to an extent how Kentucky moved on from the IU rift and found their replacement while we still haven't done anything.

[quote name="mdn82" post="49485" timestamp="1395109656"]Aren't we getting UL at MSG too? If so, our schedule is already leaps and bounds better next year. I just wish he could add a couple of sub 200 teams that are mid-majors. [/quote]

Yep UL is on it. I thought it was at the Barclays center but I could be wrong.

One thing that everyone must realize is what he said on Crean. That's what he will say today and after next season, no matter what happens. Glass and Crean are wicked close. So all of the firing stuff starts and ends right here. Glass ain't kicking the guy out for a while. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's just the truth. I hope a lot of our fanbase can realize that before they all get hernias

[quote name="CampCrean" post="49490" timestamp="1395109791"]One thing that everyone must realize is what he said on Crean. That's what he will say today and after next season, no matter what happens. Glass and Crean are wicked close. So all of the firing stuff starts and ends right here. Glass ain't kicking the guy out for a while. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's just the truth. I hope a lot of our fanbase can realize that before they all get hernias[/quote] I hope this doesn't start the fire Fred glass thread lol jk but your statement is very true. They seem super close and Glass shows that Crean is his guy and he's gonna stick with him.

Aren't we getting UL at MSG too?  If so, our schedule is already leaps and bounds better next year.  I just wish he could add a couple of sub 200 teams that are mid-majors.  

Yep UL is on it. I thought it was at the Barclays center but I could be wrong.

Its at MSG in the Jimmy V Classic on Dec 9th. I should be on the alert to when tix are available. :yes:

To comment on Glass' comments, as Hoosier 41 bolded about scheduling, last year's RPI ( I assume 2012-13) was high because of the W-L record. Understanding that you can't control how other teams play or who they play, what is under IU's control is who they play. SMU is a decent step in that direction. It should be an impetus of Crean and Glass to skew their schedule towards their opponents conference affiliation. Playing mediocre to bad mid-major schools will still pad IU's win total and help younger players learn their way the same as playing Onomatopoeia St. but will in the end aid IU's total RPI, non-conf RPI, and SOS which should help IU in making the tourney and enhancing their seed.

One thing that everyone must realize is what he said on Crean. That's what he will say today and after next season, no matter what happens. Glass and Crean are wicked close. So all of the firing stuff starts and ends right here. Glass ain't kicking the guy out for a while. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's just the truth. I hope a lot of our fanbase can realize that before they all get hernias

I don't think anyone is saying he will, some feel he should though.  I think if next season isn't drastically better than this, and not just making the tournament, his seat should be on fire.  It also took Mike Davis 3 seasons to get run out of town.

While we may not agree with what Fred is doing but he is doing what he thinks it is best and a bunch of booing fans at home games for complaining about substitutions isn't going to change his mind when it is all said and done. What would you do if you were Fred and had to make that decision? Being Fred Glass is easier said then done it is not all that it is cracked up to be.

[quote name="LIHoosier" post="49505" timestamp="1395111018"]Its at MSG in the Jimmy V Classic on Dec 9th. I should be on the alert to when tix are available. :yes:

To comment on Glass' comments, as Hoosier 41 bolded about scheduling, last year's RPI ( I assume 2012-13) was high because of the W-L record. Understanding that you can't control how other teams play or who they play, what is under IU's control is who they play. SMU is a decent step in that direction. It should be an impetus of Crean and Glass to skew their schedule towards their opponents conference affiliation. Playing mediocre to bad mid-major schools will still pad IU's win total and help younger players learn their way the same as playing Onomatopoeia St. but will in the end aid IU's total RPI, non-conf RPI, and SOS which should help IU in making the tourney and enhancing their seed.[/quote]

Thanks for the correction

Uhhh, Fred, having a marquee coach does not make SMU a marquee game.  It's a good addition, definitely, but not marquee.

He is drawing talent there.  Emmanuel Muday (Sp?) was a legit PG he stole from Kentucky for next year.  

What does everyone expect him to say? "It's true we are in fact trying to get Creans replacement." I don't think he is but even if he was he wouldn't admit it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, he's going to show public support.  He's not going to say "my hands are tied because I signed off on an insanely stupid buyout".  If the big money got tired of Crean and pushed for him to go Glass wouldn't have much choice but to act.

I'd rather not hijack this thread though, even though I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing why Crean should or shouldn't get canned and saying "it won't happen so don't discuss it" is just a lazy cop out IMO.

Uhhh, Fred, having a marquee coach does not make SMU a marquee game.  It's a good addition, definitely, but not marquee.

They're coming off os a season where they should have made the tourney and they're only getting better. They're getting a top 5 player in the nation next year. They're going to be really, really good

They're coming off os a season where they should have made the tourney and they're only getting better. They're getting a top 5 player in the nation next year. They're going to be really, really good

I said it's a good addition, and it is.  I'm certainly not confident in a win, I just wouldn't categorize it as a 'marquee' game.  When you say "marquee home game" it sounds more like Kansas or Arizona or those programs.