Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

(2014) PF Yante Maten to Georgia

to Georgia???

Bloomington and Athens are really really similar as far as college towns go....one just so happens to be consumed by basketball and the other by football

interesting choice

Committed to UGA? Damn, how did Crean and Izzo both miss on this guy? Mark Fox has done well down here but, to my knowledge not gotten a player away from both or either. Still shaking my head over this one!

Committed to UGA? Damn, how did Crean and Izzo both miss on this guy? Mark Fox has done well down here but, to my knowledge not gotten a player away from both or either. Still shaking my head over this one!

Izzo missed probably because he tried to get in so late. Maten probably didn't like feeling like such a second option. 

Crean's reason for missing, is a lot less explainable...  :(

Make sure you grab the big brush when making broad strokes...

What am I wrong about? Everyone said MSU was his dream school, thats one of the most probable reasons why he would turn down a scholarship that he got from them just a few days ago.

IU had been recruiting Maten for some time, and missed, to UGA. If that doesn't strike you as unexplainable/not excusable, then we have a difference of opinion.

What am I wrong about? Everyone said MSU was his dream school, thats one of the most probable reasons why he would turn down a scholarship that he got from them just a few days ago.<br /><br />IU had been recruiting Maten for some time, and missed, to UGA. If that doesn't strike you as unexplainable/not excusable, then we have a difference of opinion.

He's an 18 year old kid. His emotions on each school probably changed every day. Even over the next few months, he'll question it. He wanted to go to UGA. Crean isn't master of persuasion. It happens.

He's an 18 year old kid. His emotions on each school probably changed every day. Even over the next few months, he'll question it. He wanted to go to UGA. Crean isn't master of persuasion. It happens.

Everything you said is right.

Its part of Crean's job to persuade these kids... we needed a big and we are whiffing. You can't deny that hurts. 

IU shouldn't lose kids to UGA for basketball. Sure, theres certain instances where kids are predisposed to a preference of one school over another, but this isn't one of those. MSU was the school he really liked. We lost a recruiting battle; not the end of the world. Probably not going to make a huge difference.

I'm not freaking out or anything... this just hurts

I'm not freaking out or anything, but that big red panic button is becoming difficult to not push. We don't even have someone to back up Hanner if it comes to that, unless you want 6'7 Devin (hey a new nickname?) playing the 5.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="KelleyHoosh" post="57732" timestamp="1396744062"]Izzo missed probably because he tried to get in so late. Maten probably didn't like feeling like such a second option.

Crean's reason for missing, is a lot less explainable... :([/quote] This is ridiculous. The kid said he wanted to play for Michigan State. The fact that he had a MSU offer and picked UGA says be wasn't interested in anything MSU or IU was offering.

UGA has much better weather but it is a football school. Down here Ga. Tech is more of the basketball school, but who knows what goes through the mind of an 18 year old. Since the Herrick scandal UGA's basketball program has been a struggle but Fox has done a good job at promoting the program and it has gotten better. I doubt UGA will unseat U of K , Florida or Vanderbilt  as the SEC's powerhouses in basketball, but Fox will work hard and just got an extension.

This is ridiculous. The kid said he wanted to play for Michigan State. The fact that he had a MSU offer and picked UGA says be wasn't interested in anything MSU or IU was offering.

If he said he wanted to play for MSU, he was obviously interested. In recruiting sometimes even when the favorite offers, the kid chooses a school thats been after them longer because they have built a better relationship with the other staff, and a multitude of other reasons that stems back to Izzo probably being too late on the offer. 

If he said he wanted to play for MSU, he was obviously interested. In recruiting sometimes even when the favorite offers, the kid chooses a school thats been after them longer because they have built a better relationship with the other staff, and a multitude of other reasons that stems back to Izzo probably being too late on the offer. 

The kid is from Michigan.  Grew up a MSU fan.  Committed to Georgia right after MSU offered.  An offer he said he was waiting for.  Sometimes a kid just wants to go somewhere else.  To act like it is this crazy issue because UG got a MSU fan over us is nuts.  Seriously, the argument you are throwing out here is the same argument we heard about the 2010, 2011, and 2013 class late in the game when we got commitments later than people wanted.  2010 was all spring signees.  Vic and Will ended up well.  People in 2011 were so worried about what would happen if we didn't get Cody.  2013 we didn't have Troy and Noah until right up before the first signing period.  For 2014 we already have James and Robert.  That is better than most people.  We don't have any bigs, but lets not act like a kid hovering 100 in a weak class is the difference between a good class and a weak class, or even a good team.  Chances are these types of kids will have very little impact as freshman.  

KelleyHoosh I just find your opinions to be extreme and somewhat reactionary. This kid was ranked 290 in the composite ranking assembled by 24/7. The player and coach both stated that he was waiting for an MSU offer. He got the offer and then picked UGA. The reason Crean missed is easily explainable and should have been expected by all. This is a completely normal occurrence that is being blown out of perspective by our own panic about our big man situation which a 6-8 freshman wasn't going to automatically be the solution. There's no reason to believe he would have been a better solution than HMP or Davis. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="scottybower" post="57920" timestamp="1396805697"]KelleyHoosh I just find your opinions to be extreme and somewhat reactionary. This kid was ranked 290 in the composite ranking assembled by 24/7. The player and coach both stated that he was waiting for an MSU offer. He got the offer and then picked UGA. The reason Crean missed is easily explainable and should have been expected by all. This is a completely normal occurrence that is being blown out of perspective by our own panic about our big man situation which a 6-8 freshman wasn't going to automatically be the solution. There's no reason to believe he would have been a better solution than HMP or Davis. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

To be clear, I agree completely that Yante wasn't going to dramatically impact next season. I just find it frustrating that we have such a lack of bigs and missed on one not to his supposed dream school but to a football school. J wish we were in a position that we didn't need a low ranked big man just to fill the roster out. That's all. I still am cautiously optimistic for next year!