Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

EvilleAngler

Fishing chat and pics..

5 hours ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

I'm all in! there is a fishing thread somewhere in here. but yes, i ice fish like my life depended on it. our ice is about 5' thick right now but i'm waiting for it to warm up a tad before i go out there and freeze my sack off. we don't have the fish you flatlanders have. we have Arctic Char, Rainbows, Greyling and many other awesome fish. once i hit the ice, i'll show off some pics

Starting tonight we are going in the deep freeze around here.  Hopefully, if the weather reports hold true, I can get back out this week-end.  Nothing tastes better than fish through the ice.  

Crazy question here, but I've be an avid fisherman my whole life and about 8 years ago, I developed an allergy to fish.  Can't touch them or my fingers peel a few days later.  Can't eat them.  I've researched it and it seems some others deal with the same thing. I don't know if it's attributable to continued frequent exposure or just an allergy that presented itself later in life.  Either way, it sucks as fishing was something I really enjoyed and was quite good at and now I'm all but prohibited from doing it. Would love to know if anyone else has seen or heard of this. 

OK, I’m no fisherman right now. I hang out in trees mostly. I have only really fished for yellow perch a few times up in MN. But I’m intrigued by the idea of crappie fishing. I will catch to eat, for sure. Never done it before. That being said, where are decent crappie lakes in central Indiana. I’m in Noblesville. I’ve heard Summit is good for them. My buddy is from Sale and wants to try out John Hay. Any other suggestions for a newbie?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 hours ago, RatpigHoosier said:

OK, I’m no fisherman right now. I hang out in trees mostly. I have only really fished for yellow perch a few times up in MN. But I’m intrigued by the idea of crappie fishing. I will catch to eat, for sure. Never done it before. That being said, where are decent crappie lakes in central Indiana. I’m in Noblesville. I’ve heard Summit is good for them. My buddy is from Sale and wants to try out John Hay. Any other suggestions for a newbie?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I couldn't tell you how many times I have fished Summit, but it is a bunch.  The crappie is not abundant there.  If I was you I would go to Morse Reservoir, I always had luck there with the specks.  But more importantly are you fishing out of a boat or from shore?

I couldn't tell you how many times I have fished Summit, but it is a bunch.  The crappie is not abundant there.  If I was you I would go to Morse Reservoir, I always had luck there with the specks.  But more importantly are you fishing out of a boat or from shore?

Looking for a small John boat now. I think my uncle in MN will be able to wrangle one for me. I’m not going any bigger than that. I would be terrified to take a john boat on Morse during the summer though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

43 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Looking for a small John boat now. I think my uncle in MN will be able to wrangle one for me. I’m not going any bigger than that. I would be terrified to take a john boat on Morse during the summer though.

So you are going to be shore fishing?  Not fishing out of a boat?  If that is the case....I would recommend Mississinewa Reservoir.  Plenty of shore fishing and crappies galore.

18 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Nonsense!  

I grew up on Morse.  Through middle school I had a 10' aluminum boat with a 10hp Johnson.  It was so light that it just floated over everything.  You can learn to catch a wake or strong wave and literally ride it like you're surfing and get where you're going much faster.  

These days I'm trying to get into fly fishing.  I do a decent amount of backpacking, and got a Tenkara rod to take along.  It's a 13' collapsible rod, with equally long line, and no reel.  I haven't tried it yet, but people supposedly love it.  

Personally, I'm not going to eat much fish out of Morse.  Too much gasoline, fertilizer, and pesticides.  Indiana stocks certain waters with trout, so I'm going to see if I can't hunt down some good spots.  By chance, do any of you know of a spot accessible only by hiking in?  Map/compasss/GPS coordinates are fine or even preferred.

19 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Nonsense!  

I grew up on Morse.  Through middle school I had a 10' aluminum boat with a 10hp Johnson.  It was so light that it just floated over everything.  You can learn to catch a wake or strong wave and literally ride it like you're surfing and get where you're going much faster.  

These days I'm trying to get into fly fishing.  I do a decent amount of backpacking, and got a Tenkara rod to take along.  It's a 13' collapsible rod, with equally long line, and no reel.  I haven't tried it yet, but people supposedly love it.  

Personally, I'm not going to eat much fish out of Morse.  Too much gasoline, fertilizer, and pesticides.  Indiana stocks certain waters with trout, so I'm going to see if I can't hunt down some good spots.  By chance, do any of you know of a spot accessible only by hiking in?  Map/compasss/GPS coordinates are fine or even preferred.

Where do yo live?

5 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Now I'm in Carmel/Westfield.  But get down to Yellowwood and Bloomington pretty often.  

Well I don't know the distance...but you might want to check out the Brookville tailwaters.  They got both brown and rainbows down there.

52 minutes ago, Rico said:

Well I don't know the distance...but you might want to check out the Brookville tailwaters.  They got both brown and rainbows down there.

Awesome, will do.  I've done the Adena Trace trail before around Brookville.  Sounds like maybe I can do some fishing and backpacking in the same trip.  

3 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Awesome, will do.  I've done the Adena Trace trail before around Brookville.  Sounds like maybe I can do some fishing and backpacking in the same trip.  

I am sorry I am not familiar with that part of the state.  But I have fished Brookville for walleye.  I will send you a PM.

Nonsense!  

Yes I really worry about eating fish out of Morse. I don’t know how they would eat out of Mississinewa but I really like the idea of having some filets for fish fries. I hear crappie taste good along the lines of perch.

So you are going to be shore fishing?  Not fishing out of a boat?  If that is the case....I would recommend Mississinewa Reservoir.  Plenty of shore fishing and crappies galore.

Thanks for the suggestion. That’s not too far of a drive for me and I know there are some secluded spots. I’ll start my research. When is he best time of year to start crappie fishing? April? I’m truly brand new to this.

3 minutes ago, RatpigHoosier said:

Thanks for the suggestion. That’s not too far of a drive for me and I know there are some secluded spots. I’ll start my research. When is he best time of year to start crappie fishing? April? I’m truly brand new to this.

Ice out......I would say the middle of March, depending on the temps.