Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bobman1

Hoosiers jumping from ADIDAS to Jordan Brand??

The difference between IU and Tennessee/Michigan who took less money to go with Nike is IU doesn't have football money to withstand taking a discount.  Our athletic department has to make the best financial decision for itself especially with the extra $1 million it will be paying annually to athletes to provide full cost of living expenses.

Honestly I kinda like us staying with Adidas we have the chance to be one of the premier Adidas schools IE get the best kids that end up with Adidas.

Where as if we were Nike we would not be even near the premier basketball school with them. 

The shoe company influence will only continue to grow. My only fear is Adidas loses favor to UA and it hurts recruiting down the road.

Its coming. Adidas is dying off. They are losing significant ground at the grassroots level, while UA is gaining significant traction. It's gotten to the point of desperation for them. See the new James Harden deal. Someone on this board mentioned it before myself, but we desperately needed a rebranding. Adidas is not cool. Its on the fast track to being the reebok in the basketball world. Many IU fans believe that the best way to honor our tradition is to never change our appearance, whereas I believe the best way to honor our tradition is to win like we've won in the past. To win at past levels, we need to adapt to the times. I'm not saying we need to be UK. I am saying we need to be cool again. Everything about our brand right now screams dying/dead giant. Everything from our uniforms to our locker room and film rooms (not sure if this is part of the remodel or not.). I know that I'm sounding superficial but this is the truth. These top players want to feel like pros and superstars. Have you seen the facilities of Kansas, Duke, Arizona and UK? They are awesome!! If these things didn't have a significant impact on a prospects decision to attend their school, then why would they fork over the money and pay such close attention to the details? Cook Hall is a good feather in our cap, I'll admit that, but we have some catching up to do with the other traditional bluebloods. I could be way out of line with this. The players/coaching facilities could be gettting significant upgrades via the Skodt donation and we may have a plan in place with Adidas to upgrade our brand. The bottom line is that we need to start flexing some muscle and acting like a blueblood before its too late. There's going to come a time where those banners hanging wont carry the same weight that they do now. We haven't won anything of national relevance since our privates were in constant danger of being exposed past the leg of our shorts. We need to be pulling out all the stops (short of breaking the rules of course). 

Its coming. Adidas is dying off. They are losing significant ground at the grassroots level, while UA is gaining significant traction. It's gotten to the point of desperation for them. See the new James Harden deal. Someone on this board mentioned it before myself, but we desperately needed a rebranding. Adidas is not cool. Its on the fast track to being the reebok in the basketball world. Many IU fans believe that the best way to honor our tradition is to never change our appearance, whereas I believe the best way to honor our tradition is to win like we've won in the past. To win at past levels, we need to adapt to the times. I'm not saying we need to be UK. I am saying we need to be cool again. Everything about our brand right now screams dying/dead giant. Everything from our uniforms to our locker room and film rooms (not sure if this is part of the remodel or not.). I know that I'm sounding superficial but this is the truth. These top players want to feel like pros and superstars. Have you seen the facilities of Kansas, Duke, Arizona and UK? They are awesome!! If these things didn't have a significant impact on a prospects decision to attend their school, then why would they fork over the money and pay such close attention to the details? Cook Hall is a good feather in our cap, I'll admit that, but we have some catching up to do with the other traditional bluebloods. I could be way out of line with this. The players/coaching facilities could be gettting significant upgrades via the Skodt donation and we may have a plan in place with Adidas to upgrade our brand. The bottom line is that we need to start flexing some muscle and acting like a blueblood before its too late. There's going to come a time where those banners hanging wont carry the same weight that they do now. We haven't won anything of national relevance since our privates were in constant danger of being exposed past the leg of our shorts. We need to be pulling out all the stops (short of breaking the rules of course). 

I'm sorry but I think a lot of this is simply BS.  Our facilities as a whole are some of the best around.  IU has spent Millions making it so.  Is AH a little outdated, yep, and they are working on that as I type this.  The kind of money we are getting from this dying brand, is one of things making it possible to keep up. 

You talk about flexing muscle like a blueblood, well having one of the top clothing deals in terms of money is doing exactly that.

The bottom line, though is IU is not nor has it ever been a blueblood in college athletics.  Sure we HAD a good Basketball team, but outside of soccer all of our other programs have been bottom dwellers. In regards to the banners, outside of IU fans, they don't carry any weight with anyone, and they haven't for about 15 years.

IU is about a lot more than just a basketball program.  It amazes me how no one ever seems to remember that. Thank Goodness our Athletic Director does.

I'm sorry but I think a lot of this is simply BS. Our facilities as a whole are some of the best around. IU has spent Millions making it so. Is AH a little outdated, yep, and they are working on that as I type this. The kind of money we are getting from this dying brand, is one of things making it possible to keep up.

You talk about flexing muscle like a blueblood, well having one of the top clothing deals in terms of money is doing exactly that.
The bottom line, though is IU is not nor has it ever been a blueblood in college athletics. Sure we HAD a good Basketball team, but outside of soccer all of our other programs have been bottom dwellers. In regards to the banners, outside of IU fans, they don't carry any weight with anyone, and they haven't for about 15 years.

IU is about a lot more than just a basketball program. It amazes me how no one ever seems to remember that. Thank Goodness our Athletic Director does.

You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't sure whether our locker room and film rooms were being updated via the Skodt donation. Also, the mention about Cook Hall being a feather in our cap. You seem very sensitive. If you can't see Indiana Basketball is a dying brand and you won't admit to Indiana Basketball being a traditional Blueblood, then there is no point debating you. You're out of touch. If we were to poll every Hoosier fan in existence, and ask them which sport mattered to them the most, the results would overwhelmingly state that basketball is what matters most at Indiana. That's how it's always been and that's how it will always be. As for flexing our muscle as blue bloods, I was referring to having facilities greater or equal to the likes of the rest of the blue bloods who adapted and moved forward with their brands. Like I said twice now, I'm not sure whether these specific facilities are being upgraded. I can only hope. I know I've seen the facilities of say Kansas, and they are far more attractive at this point than ours. I can only imagine what Kentucky's are like. "Kansas Athletics is more than just basketball." "Duke athletics is more than just basketball." "Kentucky Athletics is more than just basketball." Something's off with these statements. The reality. These schools know how to butter their bread.

Cook Hall is a good feather in our cap, I'll admit that, but we have some catching up to do with the other traditional bluebloods. I could be way out of line with this. The players/coaching facilities could be gettting significant upgrades via the Skodt donation and we may have a plan in place with Adidas to upgrade our brand. The bottom line is that we need to start flexing some muscle and acting like a blueblood before its too late. There's going to come a time where those banners hanging wont carry the same weight that they do now. We haven't won anything of national relevance since our privates were in constant danger of being exposed past the leg of our shorts. We need to be pulling out all the stops (short of breaking the rules of course). 

I think you're way discounting Cook Hall.  Having walked through and gotten private tours of that facility our players have locker rooms, weight rooms, training facilities and film rooms that make them feel like superstars. Look at some quotes from recruits when they visit, look at some quotes from national reporters who have been everywhere, look at the fact that former players come back to work out there in the offseason, Cook Hall is a top 10 facility.

Once Assembly Hall is completed the University will have invested over $70 million in Cook Hall and Assembly Hall.  In addition to that the entire academic center has refurbished in Memorial Stadium and it is an amazing space for the players.  PLUS we have the Cuban Center which provides us with amazing technology that no one else has.  It is an arms race for sure in college athletics that I agree with you on but if you think IU isn't flexing its muscles in that arms race you have not been paying attention and are out of touch.

You must have missed the part where I said I wasn't sure whether our locker room and film rooms were being updated via the Skodt donation. Also, the mention about Cook Hall being a feather in our cap. You seem very sensitive. If you can't see Indiana Basketball is a dying brand and you won't admit to Indiana Basketball being a traditional Blueblood, then there is no point debating you. You're out of touch. If we were to poll every Hoosier fan in existence, and ask them which sport mattered to them the most, the results would overwhelmingly state that basketball is what matters most at Indiana. That's how it's always been and that's how it will always be. As for flexing our muscle as blue bloods, I was referring to having facilities greater or equal to the likes of the rest of the blue bloods who adapted and moved forward with their brands. Like I said twice now, I'm not sure whether these specific facilities are being upgraded. I can only hope. I know I've seen the facilities of say Kansas, and they are far more attractive at this point than ours. I can only imagine what Kentucky's are like. "Kansas Athletics is more than just basketball." "Duke athletics is more than just basketball." "Kentucky Athletics is more than just basketball." Something's off with these statements. The reality. These schools know how to butter their bread.

No I read every sentence.  But you can't have it both ways.  We are either competing in regards to facilities, or we are not.  I personally think we are on par with everyone with one exception.  We don't, come close to the living arrangements that Kentucky has for their athletes. 

Indiana basketball is a blueblood, but this Adidas deal is not just about Indiana Basketball, it is about Indiana as a whole.  I've been around long enough (since the 60's) to know that Basketball is the major sport at Indiana.  However, that doesn't change this: The reality of any college athletic department is that basketball doesn't pay the bills.  Even at Indiana it is Football that drives the economic engine of all the athletic teams. 

I would disagree that Indiana Basketball is dying. I am not even sure it is sick.  Are we having the success from the 70's and 80's?  Heck no.  Do I want that success?  Hell, yes!  However, the butts are still in the seats; we are still sought after for TV rights...  All of the metrics that count success are still there, except for the one that matters to IU fans.  National Championships...  But I don't believe the brand of uniforms is going to matter one bit for that.  There are other issues in play that are keeping us from another banner.