Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierReb01

Indiana vs. Nebraska Post Game Thread

The 3 home losses to PSU, NEBRASKA, and NW were devastating.  I feel crushed.  I am too much of a fan, these losses really weigh me down.  I didn't expect to win it all, obviously.  I did expect to make the dance and be between a 4-8 seed.  Were those hopes too high? I don't think so.  We have the talent to be there athletically but we don't have a confident or smart team.  It doesn't help that our outside shooting was so horrific all season long.  It never really got any better, Yogi had some big 3 point shooting games but in our losses he has soooooo many misses. 

I will again have high hope for next year, regardless of Vonleh returning, and I will likely be crushed again.  Oh well.  Why should I care more than half of the players???

Feel awful for Will. He is absolutely not in a good mood right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I actually wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a longer speech ready, but just said F it after that game...

[quote name="BtownBanners" post="44915" timestamp="1394075514"]I actually wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a longer speech ready, but just said F it after that game...[/quote]

That's how I took it too. Don't blame him a bit either. I'm not sure if mine would've even been that long..or nice.

Observations.

1. We all think we are more talented than what we really are. Howard, Hollowell, and Gordon I wouldn't call exceptional athletes or talented. Hate to say that about Hollowell but his vertical is lower than Watfords. We got out athleticized by Nebraska of all teams so us getting our a$$es handed to us on a regular basis should not come as a surprise in the B1G. The one athlete we have Hanner, is utiilized in a Sloan type pick roll so hard to see his. He should be performing like Mbakwe from Minnesota but is totally underutilized. Same for Jurkin. All of these athletic African center all over college basketball and ours can't beat out a walk on. Why not let him play, camp out underneath, block some shots, rebound, and dunk. If he cannot do any of these what is he doing here. Just another waste of a project center that never ever contributes. In year six don't you think its time ne of these players could look good out of his warm ups?
2. When a team continues to hit threes you may want to start contesting these. Too many easy outsides shots for Nebraska without any resemblance of defense cost us big time. How many open looks do you give Pitchford before you make him beat you to the basket? Granted, no one would help out as we have no concept of helpside d. We're too busy staring at our man like we have never been coached at it. Just the absolute basics of basketball this team lacks. Combine that with incompetent coaching and a young team that can't bail out the coach and you have Indiana basketball 2013-14.

What makes you think you care more than half the players? Just curiousSent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Reading body language and effort on the court. I am a highly competive person and hate to lose. I have played many sports, hockey and basketball namely, and my effort always shone through. Sheehey had it, Davis had it, yogi had it. Anyone else working their arses off? And in Sheehey and yogi's cases it lead to dreadful performances, but they were fighting for it. I have not collectively seen the fight with these guys all year.

So basic answer is my judgement based on observation.

Just watched the postgame presser. Will looked like he was fully prepared to break someone's neck if the opportunity presented itself.

Observations.

1. We all think we are more talented than what we really are. Howard, Hollowell, and Gordon I wouldn't call exceptional athletes or talented. Hate to say that about Hollowell but his vertical is lower than Watfords. We got out athleticized by Nebraska of all teams so us getting our a$$es handed to us on a regular basis should not come as a surprise in the B1G. The one athlete we have Hanner, is utiilized in a Sloan type pick roll so hard to see his. He should be performing like Mbakwe from Minnesota but is totally underutilized. Same for Jurkin. All of these athletic African center all over college basketball and ours can't beat out a walk on. Why not let him play, camp out underneath, block some shots, rebound, and dunk. If he cannot do any of these what is he doing here. Just another waste of a project center that never ever contributes. In year six don't you think its time ne of these players could look good out of his warm ups?
2. When a team continues to hit threes you may want to start contesting these. Too many easy outsides shots for Nebraska without any resemblance of defense cost us big time. How many open looks do you give Pitchford before you make him beat you to the basket? Granted, no one would help out as we have no concept of helpside d. We're too busy staring at our man like we have never been coached at it. Just the absolute basics of basketball this team lacks. Combine that with incompetent coaching and a young team that can't bail out the coach and you have Indiana basketball 2013-14.

This team does have talent.  If the talent isn't there, then there's no potential and people should expect next season to suck too.  The talent is there, it's not polished but we certainly are talented enough to be a tournament team.  

I disagree on Hollowell to an extent.  He's not a great athlete, but he's more athletic than Watford was.  He's made some athletic plays that Watford could only dream of.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="44945" timestamp="1394080371"]This team does have talent. If the talent isn't there, then there's no potential and people should expect next season to suck too. The talent is there, it's not polished but we certainly are talented enough to be a tournament team.

I disagree on Hollowell to an extent. He's not a great athlete, but he's more athletic than Watford was. He's made some athletic plays that Watford could only dream of.[/quote]
This is my frustrating take on this. He's shown flashes of being a badass, but then, like tonight he bubbles with the ball. Infuriating.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using BtownBanners mobile app.

We better win the B1G Tournament. I have no reason to believe that we will, but it's the only way that I can be even remotely satisfied with this season. It's been very hard to watch this year. I just hope next year is better.

The sad thing is that because I am such a fan I will have to watch the NIT games when I really just want it to be over.

Also, Vonleh is out and Perea had the best game of his life the last time out and he only gets 10 minutes?!?!?! What gives coach?!

We better win the B1G Tournament. I have no reason to believe that we will, but it's the only way that I can be even remotely satisfied with this season. It's been very hard to watch this year. I just hope next year is better.

The sad thing is that because I am such a fan I will have to watch the NIT games when I really just want it to be over.

Also, Vonleh is out and Perea had the best game of his life the last time out and he only gets 10 minutes?!?!?! What gives coach?!

I agree about Perea big time. Give the guy a chance. Howard for Pete's sake. I have had enough.

This is my frustrating take on this. He's shown flashes of being a badass, but then, like tonight he bubbles with the ball. Infuriating.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using BtownBanners mobile app.

Oh, I've said all along he's got all the natural ability in the world.  I'm just not sure he has the drive to work and improve his game and become the player he is capable of being, and that's the frustrating part.