Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierReb01

Lin Loring, IU Womens Tennis Coach Wins #800

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/013114aaa.html

Indiana head women's tennis coach Lin Loring became the first coach in women's college tennis history to win 800 matches as the Hoosiers topped Western Michigan on Friday afternoon, 5-2.

Loring is in his 37th season at the helm of the IU program and his 41st overall and now holds a career head coaching record of 800-308 (.722). His resume includes 28 national tournament appearances, 16 Big Ten titles and a national championship in 1982. He also guided 25 players to All America honors.

"I have reached 800 wins because I've had players that worked really hard on the court and in the classroom," Loring said. "I've had a great staff of assistant coaches, academic counselors, athletic trainers and strength coaches. Coaching is a high burnout profession and I've been fortunate to still love what I'm doing."

In today's match on the road at Western Michigan, the Hoosiers came out a little tentative and had an uphill battle after dropping the doubles point to start.

"Although we never talked about it, the girls were a little nervous knowing it could be my 800th," Loring said. "It was just another match for me, but it was special for them and they started out a little tight."

Indiana rebounded in singles beginning with Carolyn Chupa in the No. 2 match as she gave up just a single game in a 6-0, 6-1 win over WMU's Kathleen Hawkins who is ranked 55th nationally. Shannon Murdy picked up IU's second point of the day with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Tracy Kuhle at No. 6.

In the No. 4 match, No. 86 Sophie Garre of Indiana earned a win in straight sets over Western Michigan's Kelsey King, 6-1, 6-1. No. 73 Katie Klyczek would then clinch the milestone match for Loring's Hoosiers in the No. 1 position as she won a tiebreaker in the second set to defeat Nini Sujasvili 6-1, 7-6 (7). 

Paula Gutierrez also picked up a singles win for Indiana in the No. 5 spot, downing Caoline Aleck in a tight match, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (6), 1-0 (10-3).
"It was a great college tennis match," Loring said. "Western Michigan is very tough at home. Katie saved two set points and Paula saved a match point."

IU will next head to Notre Dam to take on the No. 23 Fighting Irish on Sunday, Feb. 2. That match will get started at 10 a.m. ET.

Results
No. 39 Indiana 5, Western Michigan 2
Singles
1. #73 Katie Klyczek (IU) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-1, 7-6 (9-7)
2. Carolyn Chupa (IU) def. #55 Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Alecia Kauss (IU) 6-2, 6-4
4. #86 Sophie Garre (IU) def. Kelsey King (WMU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paula Gutierrez (IU) def. Caroline Aleck (WMU) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (8-6), 1-0 (10-3)
6. Shannon Murdy (IU) def. Tracy Kuhle (WMU) 6-2, 6-2
Doubles
1. Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Carolyn Chupa/Katie Klyczek (IU) 7-5
2. Kayla Fujimoto/Sophie Garre (IU) def. Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) 7-5
3. Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Alecia Kauss/Shannon Murdy (IU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,6,4,1,3,5)