Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Brian Knorr Named New DC

You live in a fantasy world if you think anyone associated with any of those programs would come to IU. 

You know nothing then, about the "climb the ladder" mentality of anyone in business, and coaching is nothing, if not a business. IU would have been a perfect proving ground for someone from those schools, who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to rise through the ranks in any reasonable length of time. You suppose defensive back coaches, linebacker coaches, line coaches, are just sitting there waiting to be the next DC and a comparable school? Not hardly. Wilson has proven with this hire, that he has a blind spot in his coaching mentality, and that blind spot will cost him his job. Brian Knorr; he should have hired Brian Wilson.

Really guys? Are we really going to complain? Everyone here was saying how they'd "rather have ANYONE than mallory" and now you're griping about "how stupid" of a hire this is. Just wait up and judge the hire at the end of next season when we can judge his actual work.

Edit: I guess this post was only directed to the guy right before me (sorry dude, hate to rip ya, but you don't need to get mad at the guy before he coaches a single game). However, Before anyone else goes off complaining about this hire, read this post!

Wilson had the opportunity to hire a top flight, up and coming DC. He didn't, or we'd have heard of him before. Hell, for that matter, someone outside of Wake Forest and Air Force would have heard of him. Have you heard any buzz about the guy, any SI writers singing his praises, anybody else in the Big Ten wishing they could only land such a stud DC for their team? Have you seen anyone at any of the recruiting sites say that his player and that player was leaning towards whatever school had Brian Knorr as it's DC? No? I didn't think so either. Only those persons who continue to live in and willingly accept the "we can't expect to land a great coach at IU" mentality, will think this is a good and acceptable hire. Merely "acceptable", (in addition to his father having been a previous head coach at IU), is what got us Mallory. If the new guy takes us from 127th place in the defensive rankings, to 110th, or even 90th that would be an improvement, but it would hardly justify the hire, as we'd still suck on that side of the ball, more than 75% of the teams in the Country.

According to ESPN his defense only gave up 24.1 points a game good for 38th in the country. That's including giving up 59 to FSU and 56 to Clemson. Compared to our defense giving up 38.8 good for 117th in the country. I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I'm not excited for the hire but I'm not furious either. Plus he seems a lot better than Doug freaking Mallory. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Only the IU football program would look at Air Force or Wake Forest as a source for help on defense. I mean, really! Are we saying that there wasn't a single person willing to come to be the DC of the IU football program, from a team with a legitimate history of excellence? No one at FSU, LSU, Auburn? Hell, we could have offered the waterboy at Alabama the position and we'd have been better off than either Mallory or this new guy, Brian Knorr. I wonder if Glass had any say or input in to this call? It's like we're in the movie "Groundhog Day" and every day is the life and times of Charlie Brown.

Well, it tells us just how much Wilson values a defense; and by extension, his tenure at IU.

I think its pretty short sighted to just look at the school they came from. Dalton makes some good points in the post above. FSU and Clemson were the only teams to score more than 28 on WF last year. We gave up more than 30 points in 10 of our 12 games. As well, in our 7 losses, had we given up 30 points or less, it would have made the difference in 3 games. Which is 8-4...a result I think we'd all very happily take. Now I know its not as just that simple, there are several factors that will play in. But I think, face value, this is a good hire. The point has been made, we don't have to have a stellar D, just a good one. 

Another couple of points. He has actually been a D coordinator. The scenarios you bring up about getting someone from a big name school...well first we'd never get their D coordinator unless they were fired. So I assume you'd be talking about a position coach. Its a big gamble to throw them in as a D coordinator working with much less talent than the place they came from. Which brings up my next point. Coming from Wake Forest, this guy is used to working with inferior talent. If he can get us to where we are only giving up 24-27 points per game.....that's a huge win. 

The only way we could have gotten a DC from a big time program would be if they were fired for poor performance.  That isn't exactly an exciting option.

The other option from a big time program would be a position coach but they'd have to learn on the job as a DC.

Maybe Coach WIlson wanted someone with experience at DC who also hadn't failed at their last stop.  He doesn't really have time for someone to be doing on the job training.

Just a thought. 

Indiana head football coach Kevin Wilson announced Monday that Brian Knorr will join the Hoosiers staff as defensive coordinator. Knorr spent the previous three seasons as defensive coordinator at Wake Forest University.

"We want to welcome Brian and his family to the Hoosier Nation," Wilson said. "Brian is a strong addition to our coaching staff. He brings tremendous experience and a solid background having coached on both sides of the ball, as a defensive coordinator and as an FBS head coach. We are excited to work together to take a positive step in building a winning program that our players and fans deserve."

Knorr, the former head coach at Ohio University (2001-04), has 23 years of coaching experience at the Air Force Academy (1992-94, 2005-07), Ohio (1995-2004) and Wake Forest (2008-13).

"Having known Coach Wilson for the past 20 years, his personality and the type of team he fields, I am excited to join his staff," Knorr said. "There is a buzz about the direction IU Football is headed in and I look forward to bringing some of the toughness and aggressiveness that I know Coach Wilson wants to implement on the defensive side of the ball."

At Wake Forest, Knorr worked with the outside linebackers in 2013 after he coached the inside linebackers in 2011 and 2012. The Demon Deacons allowed 24.1 points (38th nationally), 143.2 rushing yards (34th), 223.0 passing yards and 366.2 total yards (32nd) per game last season.

In 2012, WFU forced 23 turnovers and ranked second in the ACC with 12 forced fumbles. During conference play, Wake Forest ranked in the top half of the conference in eight of the 12 major defensive categories. Inside linebacker Mike Olson finished second on the team with 78 tackles, while fellow inside linebacker Riley Haynes ended the campaign fourth with 60 stops.

He served as co-coordinator in 2011 and implemented a 3-4 scheme that led to an improvement in every defensive category. Four members of the defense received invites to NFL camps and two were drafted - Kyle Wilber in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys and Josh Bush in the sixth round by the New York Jets. 

Knorr arrived at Wake Forest after three years at Air Force. He tutored the strong safeties and outside linebackers in 2005 and 2006, and the inside linebackers in 2007. His 2007 linebacking corps featured two all-conference selections. The defense helped the Falcons to one of the best turnarounds in Division I FBS football that same season.
A 1986 graduate of the Air Force Academy with a degree in management, Knorr lettered three years at quarterback. Air Force won 30 games, the top three-year span in school history.

Knorr served in the Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton, Ohio, after he graduated. He earned his master's in business administration from the University of Dayton in 1991.

In 1992, he returned to the Academy as a captain and member of the coaching staff. Knorr was the assistant offensive line coach, junior varsity head coach and administrative assistant to the head coach.

He left the Academy in 1995 to become the inside linebackers coach at Ohio and was elevated to defensive coordinator in 1999. The 2000 Bobcats held all of their opponents to less than 30 points in every contest, one of just five teams in the nation to accomplish this feat.

Ohio's defense ranked in the top five in the Mid-American Conference in scoring, rushing and total defense every year during his time as coordinator. Five of Knorr's players earned all-conference accolades.

Following the 2000 season, Knorr became the first Air Force Academy graduate to be named a head football coach at the Division I level. In addition to his head coaching duties, he coordinated the Bobcats special teams and a punt team that led the NCAA in 2001.

Punter Dave Zastudil earned All-America honors and went on to play with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals. Knorr coached seven players overall who played in the NFL.

After his four-year stint at Ohio, Knorr returned to Air Force, where he coached under Fisher DeBerry in 2005-06 and Troy Calhoun in 2007.

Upon his arrival at Wake Forest, Knorr spent three seasons as the program's wide receivers coach. Junior Marshall Williams led his 2009 receivers and finished third in the ACC in receiving yards per game and fourth in receptions per game. Redshirt freshman Chris Givens topped the nation's freshmen with eight touchdown receptions. Devon Brown paced the team with 61 catches and totaled seven TDs.

D.J. Boldin, who signed a free agent contract with the Detroit Lions, led the ACC with 81 receptions in 2008. It marked the second-highest single-season mark by a Demon Deacons wide receiver.

Knorr was born on Dec. 20, 1963, and is a native of Shawnee Mission, Kan. He and his wife Julie, an Indiana University graduate and a native of Fort Wayne, Ind., have a daughter, Katie, and twins, Reagan and Brett.

No offense taken, though your lack of details as to why it's such a "stupid" post, makes me wonder.

because you immediately think since he didn't come from an SEC school or a big time college, it was a bad hire. Nearly every good coach or coordinator started out in one of these smaller schools. Hire a waterboy from Alabama and we would be better off? Thats the stupid part, nearly all of the candidates everyone on this board wanted, like Todd Orlando and Barry Odom, didn't come from major schools. Urban Meyer considered one of the best coaches in college football, didn't start out in a major school.

EDIT: Scratch this.

Indiana: Don’t be surprised if former Wake Forest defensive line coach Ray McCartney joins Kevin Wilson’s staff in the coming days. 

http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Edited by ccgeneral
Larry McDaniel Hired

My thought on the Knorr hire is CKW wanted a guy with DC experience. The two names before Knorr, Todd Orlando and Barry Odom, were DCs. Doesn't seem like CKW reached out to a position coach. CKW is a smart guy, he knows very well he has two years or so to turn this defense around. His fate is very much tied to this hire. As such, it doesn't seem like CKW wanted to take a risk on promoting a position coach from elsewhere. While not flashy like a young position coach from an SEC school, Knorr seems like a safe hire, and also a smart hire. <br /><br />I like the move. Odds are if you have a high scoring offense you're not going to have a lockdown defense. If your offense is scoring quickly the defense has less time to rest and the opposing offense is likely to air it out. To remedy giving up yards or possibly points you need a defense that can cause turnovers. It seems like Knorr's defenses are proven at forcing turnovers.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

My thought on the Knorr hire is CKW wanted a guy with DC experience. The two names before Knorr, Todd Orlando and Barry Odom, were DCs. Doesn't seem like CKW reached out to a position coach. CKW is a smart guy, he knows very well he has two years or so to turn this defense around. His fate is very much tied to this hire. As such, it doesn't seem like CKW wanted to take a risk on promoting a position coach from elsewhere. While not flashy like a young position coach from an SEC school, Knorr seems like a safe hire, and also a smart hire. <br /><br />I like the move. Odds are if you have a high scoring offense you're not going to have a lockdown defense. If your offense is scoring quickly the defense has less time to rest and the opposing offense is likely to air it out. To remedy giving up yards or possibly points you need a defense that can cause turnovers. It seems like Knorr's defenses are proven at forcing turnovers.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'd say this makes perfectly good sense, despite my earlier statement about the hiring. 

He could've reached out to Randy Shannon.  He's currently a LB coach at Auburn, but he's been a DC before with some success.

Hopefully Knorr's Air Force background brings some discipline to the D.

He could've reached out to Randy Shannon. He's currently a LB coach at Auburn, but he's been a DC before with some success.<br /><br />Hopefully Knorr's Air Force background brings some discipline to the D.

<br /><br />Could have, you're right. Who's to say CKW didn't have Knorr ranked higher on his list than Shannon? I'm not sure Shannon would be any better than Knorr. Regardless, I see your point and Shannon would have certainly been a flashy hire. Not sure how good a fit it would have been though...<br /><br />One more point against a position coach is CKW probably had a good idea Seth Littrell was going to leave. As such he needed a guy who could take the reigns on defense as CKW might have to put more time in on the offense with the new OC. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

<br /><br />Could have, you're right. Who's to say CKW didn't have Knorr ranked higher on his list than Shannon? I'm not sure Shannon would be any better than Knorr. Regardless, I see your point and Shannon would have certainly been a flashy hire. Not sure how good a fit it would have been though...<br /><br />One more point against a position coach is CKW probably had a good idea Seth Littrell was going to leave. As such he needed a guy who could take the reigns on defense as CKW might have to put more time in on the offense with the new OC. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wilson can call the offense himself, and I'm pretty sure he's as much a factor in the offense as Littrell.  So it wouldn't really make sense to put more time in on OC.  Plus, I've always believed defense is a constant.  Regardless of how you're offense is playing that day, a good defensive team always plays good defense.  If I was Wilson and could call the offense myself (he was the OC for Oklahoma), I'd spend more time trying to make a good DC hire.

Wilson can call the offense himself, and I'm pretty sure he's as much a factor in the offense as Littrell. So it wouldn't really make sense to put more time in on OC. Plus, I've always believed defense is a constant. Regardless of how you're offense is playing that day, a good defensive team always plays good defense. If I was Wilson and could call the offense myself (he was the OC for Oklahoma), I'd spend more time trying to make a good DC hire.

<br /><br /><br />I didn't mean with an OC hire. I meant general game planning. Right I agree CKW will end up calling the O, which means he needs a guy that he can trust to run the D as more of Wilson's time will be spent preparing on offense with Littrell gone. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just got here, but don't really get the one posters frustration with knorr. The last two years, with lower level talent, wake ranked in the top 40 in defense, about 85 spots higher than us. He had a 260 lb NT named all ACC. He just wrapped up tony fields for us. Even in the 59 point beat down against FSU last year, it was most due to the offenses 7 turnovers. They only allowed like 250 yards of offense.

Welcome aboard. Good to see you post.