Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

I've read a couple of Bill O'Reilly "killing" books.  Politics aside, they are a good historical series of books.  Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy were the two I read.  Recommended for the history buffs. 

I also read The Long Walk by Stephen King.  Well, it was actually under his penname from the late 70s.  It's a typical Stephen King book.  The body of the book, the base of the story, is great.  The ending is sub-par unfortunately.  It seems like King gets to an end of his books and just gives up.  Throws in the towel.  Sucks to read a phenomenal book but the ending leaves a bit to be desired.  Good read all the same. 

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I've read a couple of Bill O'Reilly "killing" books.  Politics aside, they are a good historical series of books.  Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy were the two I read.  Recommended for the history buffs. 

I also read The Long Walk by Stephen King.  Well, it was actually under his penname from the late 70s.  It's a typical Stephen King book.  The body of the book, the base of the story, is great.  The ending is sub-par unfortunately.  It seems like King gets to an end of his books and just gives up.  Throws in the towel.  Sucks to read a phenomenal book but the ending leaves a bit to be desired.  Good read all the same. 

I don't read Stephen King's novels anymore, for that reason. However, he's a master at short stories.

This thread got me tuned into the Jack Reacher and Pike Logan books and their oftentimes very physical and graphic narratives.  The Inspector Morse series by Colin Dexter offers a change of pace.   Set in England, Morse is a Chief Inspector but not without his personal flaws.  These books don't have the brutality of the Reacher and Logan books but I think the story lines are well-written and enjoyable reading.   

Yes,highly recommend the Rapp series.

I finished the Pike Logan series and was not disappointed. The last few books might have been the best in the series. I'm patiently waiting for the next book to be released in January.

I've started the Mitch Rapp series. The first book "American Assassin" started slow but did a great job of laying the foundation. I just finished reading "Kill Shot." I was more impressed with it than the first book. I'm terrible with grammar and usually not a grammar nazi. However, the mistakes in the first book caught my attention and I began counting while reading.

I'm excited to read the next few books but first I need to find them in hardcover. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't have them. I typically get books on either Amazon or at Half Price. What other places do people use?

3 hours ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

O, I actually met the head dude from the MET Opera up here in a taproom. He is an IU Alum and saw my IU toboggan and tapped me on the shoulder. We got drunk and sang the IU fight song. that was a couple of years ago.

I have been to New York and I went with my aunt for spring break one year and I said we should go to the opera because we had said that we always wanted to go. I went to an opera with her when she lived in St. Louis years ago and not too long ago we went to the opera in Santa Fe. 

I read "Matterhorn" while waiting for the next Mitch Rapp books to come into the local library. I've read a few books about Vietnam before and this is inline with those books. However, this is a work of fiction that I didn't realize until after completing the book. I would suggest it to anyone interested in military history. It has a great storyline of a company of Marines in the northwest of South Vietnam. I actually did a recovery mission just south of there.

Just finished Countdown To Pearl Harbor: 12 Days Till The Attack..Steve Twomey.. nice read, more in depth on background of the major players ie.. Kimmel, Yamamoto... kinda put the blame on mostly a collection of wrong assumptions leading to a lack of communications when many warning signs were there. Almost read as a who dun it even though you know the outcome. Worthwhile read IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BtownBanners mobile app

I have the good reads App. I keep track of my books I've read and want to read on it. This yr I took their reading challenge. I set my goal at 35 books for the yr. I finished number 44 last night.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

Started reading The Power of Negative Thinking by RMK.  Maybe not as good as My Story, but an interesting read so far.

Recently read the most recent Reacher book, The Midnight Line, not as good as some of the previous books but still pretty enjoyable.  I've read every novel in the series to date, the last few I've read in one day each with The Midnight Line being no exception.