Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

I never read the Jack Reacher series but I did the John Puller series (i'm sure it's no coincidence in the name).  From what you guys have posted about Reacher, Puller sounds like the same thing (a la Coke vs Pepsi).

Puller is a straight up rip off of Reacher. Baldacci has a character, Will Robie, that is a knock-off of Mitch Rapp and Scot Harvath( by Brad Thor). The Harvath series is a must read in this genre also.

Baldacci's Puller and Robie are good, but not up the characters they were patterned after. Don't know why Baldacci went this route, his Camel Club and Maxwell&King series were both good in their own right. They are more sleuthy, rather than stone cold rogue vigilantes and assassins.

I probably will have a memoir to recommend in a year or 2.  My GFs dad is writing one with the help of her brother.  He talked to me a bit about his life and it was insane.

Hes from Korea.  Heres some broad strokes

At the age of 10 he had to adopt a Japanese name.

At the age of 15 he had to learn to write Korean.

Between the ages of 15-20 lived through the chaos between the wars.

At the age of 20 he had just gotten to College when the Korean war started and he had to join the South Korean Air Force. 

Do it. I enjoyed it almost as much as Reacher, and I am a huge Reacher fan. Mitch Rapp (main character in the AA series) is equally as bada**. Different feel to it tho, as Rapp is CIA and Reacher is just a bad dude who's always in the wrong place lol.

Thanks.  Got Book 1 in the series last night.  Actually, listening to it right now at work...not much work is getting done...very good thus far!

If anybody is into WWII History Pacific Crucible is a great read by Ian Toll.  Details the lead up to the Pacific War and then the first 6-7 months of the war from Pearl Harbor to Midway.  Its part of a trilogy I am just starting the second the in the trilogy. 

Cool.  Will check these out; sounds very interesting.  

Puller is a straight up rip off of Reacher. Baldacci has a character, Will Robie, that is a knock-off of Mitch Rapp and Scot Harvath( by Brad Thor). The Harvath series is a must read in this genre also.

Baldacci's Puller and Robie are good, but not up the characters they were patterned after. Don't know why Baldacci went this route, his Camel Club and Maxwell&King series were both good in their own right. They are more sleuthy, rather than stone cold rogue vigilantes and assassins.

Good to know.  I enjoyed the Camel Club series and truly enjoyed the Puller series as well.  It was one of those books that I just randomly chose when looking through the library e-book options.  

I'm currently running through the Joe Ledger series from Jonathan Maberry.  I'm 4 in, I think there are 7 or 8.  Pretty good.  Each one is as predictable as the last (same as Puller series, Reacher, etc), but are still good books.  I have an hour commute to work each way, so I listen to audio books from the library.  I can usually get a full book (these types anyway) in about 7-8 business days.  I'm taking book time off to listen to Xmas music!  Nothing but Xmas music in my car until after Christmas!!!!!

Those WWII books mentioned above sound really good too.  Hopefully they have audio options.

A great read about tactics used during the Vietnam War is Steel My Soldiers' Heart by Col. Hackworth.

Lone Survivor is also a good read.

Here's a link to watch a speech given by Marcus that's a phenomenon watch.

http://youtu.be/fKDBYDnTeS8

Edit: Part II

http://youtu.be/kzCbbJNG9Zc

Just finished War of the Encyclopaedists.  Good read with some interesting themes, including varying perspectives on war, and the world of the millennial generation.   

Wait, these are supposed to be books we've read? I assumed everyone was talking about audio books. Reading is for lozers!

I mean, in fairness, that's how I heard the gospel of RMK (the power of thinking negatively)

As far as podcasts, I only listen to 4:

This American Life (an hour a week)
Undisclosed
Serial
99% Invisible (short but interesting)

Audiobooks are my preference. I'm on 6 or 7 of Jonathan Maberry's "Joe Ledger" series. Sort of Jack Reacher meets bio-terrorism. Good stuff.

I listened to One Shot at Forever. It's essentially Illinois high school baseball version of Hoosiers. Based in the early 70s in Macon, Illinois. I'd recommend that one too. I

have a whole list that I've finished off but those are the most recent.