Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

I finished Seeing Red by Sandra Brown Monday Night. This was my first book by this author. I gave it a 5 star review on goodreads. In most books, I can usually figure out who is committing the crimes. I never did figure it out. Every time I thought I did, I was wrong. I reccomend this book.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I finished Seeing Red by Sandra Brown Monday Night. This was my first book by this author. I gave it a 5 star review on goodreads. In most books, I can usually figure out who is committing the crimes. I never did figure it out. Every time I thought I did, I was wrong. I reccomend this book.

I'll add it to my list. Thx. 

Yeah for the people who do further research it’s great. But for the ones that don’t they are left filled with misinformation disguised as History. Dan Brown is somebody else that does this
I was going back through the thread to find some good books to read and saw this. I thought I would give my thoughts.
I don't consider the Dan Brown books as historical fiction. It is more in line with the thriller/suspense/action genre. No surprise some would read them and believe they are based on history instead of Conspiracy theories. To me they are similar to books by Raymond Khoury, Steve Berry, Andy McDermott etc.
It is my understanding, Historical Fiction novels are set in a historical period and tells a story. Novels like Beneath The Scarlett Sky, Killer Angels, the One Man and authors like Jeff and Michael Shaara etc.

On 3/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, Joe DeLow said:

My son turned 5 months old today. We’ve started reading to him at bed time. Mama of course has me read his baby books to him to help him learn his shapes, sounds, colors etc. The normal things for babies. But I went through all of my books and found the books that I would consider interesting and kids/preteen classics that could keep a baby interested and continue being interested in as they grow up. Books like The Chronicles of Narnia series, Captain Underpants and Wayside School series. So last night I started reading Gullivers Travels to him. Book has pictures to go along with it which will help. But I’ve been building my book collection for him really so that he has classics and nostalgic books I read in elementary, Junior High and high school.

If anyone has any suggestions of good adventure books or anything amusing for a small child I’d love to know so I can look when I go book shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That is pretty cool Joe, well done.

According to my family, my Great-Grandmother read James Whitcomb Riley to me when I was very young.

My youngsters and I enjoyed Dr Seuss, Mo Willems stuff, Laura Numeroff (if you give a moose a muffin, etc), Curious George, and so many others.

I’d go to local library and get new release kids books once a month or so, so we could all be entertained.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Every 3 or 4 months our local Library has a used book sale hard covers are 2 dollar, paper 1 dollar and large print are 25 cents.
Between my daughter and myself we spent 44 dollars. I bought 11 books by Cussler, Deavers, and Coulter. She bought the rest including some for her students accelerated reading program.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:10 PM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I just finished reading the best book I've read this year, Beneath A Scarlett Sky by Mark Sullivan. It is based on the true story of Pino Bella, an 18 yr old Italian during WWII. I have recommended a lot of books here. Add this one to the list.

I finished it this week and echo woodenshoeman's endorsement: exceptional book. I work an odd schedule, so have Mondays and Tuesday off. After starting it and getting into it, I couldn't wait to pick it up again and read a few chapters. This past Tuesday, I did a few chores around the house, then picked up this book again. I became so engrossed that I finished the final 200-plus pages that day -- couldn't put it down. This is written in somewhat of the same vein as "In Cold Blood" -- almost like a non-fiction novel. Sullivan couldn't quite accurately piece together all the details to author a non-fiction book, so he made it a novel. ... Quite a story. 

What books have you read multiple times? I thought I would ask this question after I had a conversation the other day with someone else. She said she has never reread a book because she already knows what's going to happen. She didn't know what to say when I asked her why she will watch a movie or TV show over again since she already knows what is going to happen. Lol

Books I have read multiple times include:

Almost all books by Louis L'amour(some more than others)

Battle Cry by Leon Uris- I've been hooked on this book since I first read it almost 40 yr ago.

The Expendables by Leonard B Scott- this book is somewhat similar to Battle Cry except it is set during Vietnam

Term Limits by Vince Flynn- still my favorite novel by him

There are others I've read twice, but the ones above I've read ar least 5 times. It's no coincidence they are among my favorites of all time.

3 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

What books have you read multiple times? I thought I would ask this question after I had a conversation the other day with someone else. She said she has never reread a book because she already knows what's going to happen. She didn't know what to say when I asked her why she will watch a movie or TV show over again since she already knows what is going to happen. Lol

Books I have read multiple times include:

Almost all books by Louis L'amour(some more than others)

Battle Cry by Leon Uris- I've been hooked on this book since I first read it almost 40 yr ago.

The Expendables by Leonard B Scott- this book is somewhat similar to Battle Cry except it is set during Vietnam

Term Limits by Vince Flynn- still my favorite novel by him

There are others I've read twice, but the ones above I've read ar least 5 times. It's no coincidence they are among my favorites of all time.

Oh wow good question

Red Storm Rising - Clancy

Enders Game - Card

Starship Troopers - Heinlein

1984 & Animal Farm - Orwell

Six Frigates - Toll

And as a kid the entire Animorphs Series at least 5 times each. 

I really like novels by Greg Iles, especially his Natchez Burning trilogy. His first 2 books, Spandau Phoenix and Black Cross, are unlike his other novels. Black Cross is set during WWII. Spandau Phoenix is set in present day. Both books share a main character, a Zionist by the name of Stern. Although Spandau Phoenix was published first, Black Cross should be read first,I believe, in order to understand Stern in Spandau. As with his other novels, he brings the reader into books so they don't want to stop reading.

Just finished “Almost a Miracle” by Ferling. It’s a very good overview of the revolutionary war. 

Remarkable how tenuous that war was at times. Cornwallis is without a doubt one of the greatest disappointments in British Military history. 

Fun fact the battle of the capes where the French Navy defeated the British to strand Cornwallis at Yorktown was the last time the French defeated the British in a major Naval engagement. Literally the last time. 

Just finished “Almost a Miracle” by Ferling. It’s a very good overview of the revolutionary war. 
Remarkable how tenuous that war was at times. Cornwallis is without a doubt one of the greatest disappointments in British Military history. 
Fun fact the battle of the capes where the French Navy defeated the British to strand Cornwallis at Yorktown was the last time the French defeated the British in a major Naval engagement. Literally the last time. 
I'll put this on my "to read" . Thanks

I recently completed "Lincoln's Last Trial" by Dan Abrams. I can't recommend this book enough. It is told essentially through the eyes of a notably court stenographer who followed Lincoln during the Lincoln-Douglas debates.  Not only does it depict Lincoln the Lawyer but also Lincoln the Man. Read how Law was formed and run in the mid-1850s. 

I recently completed "Lincoln's Last Trial" by Dan Abrams. I can't recommend this book enough. It is told essentially through the eyes of a notably court stenographer who followed Lincoln during the Lincoln-Douglas debates.  Not only does it depict Lincoln the Lawyer but also Lincoln the Man. Read how Law was formed and run in the mid-1850s. 
I'll have to add it to my "to read" list. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Amazon has recommended that to me a few times. I’ve currently reading a book on Eisenhower. With a book on HW Bush on my shelf and recently read a book on Washington. Had decided against another president book. maybe I’ll reconsider

The Age of Eisenhower is also a great book. He’s my favorite president and would be hard to argue that he was easily the most influential person on the post war world. 

I highly recommend “The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting Up a Generation for Failure” by Greg Lukianoff/Jonathan Haidt. 

It takes a psychological dive into the why’s and how’s of today’s college shout-down / cancel culture (from the students to the parents to the professors).  How the lack of free-play (and helicopter parenting) within today’s youth and the rise of smartphones and social media have been as much of a detriment as a benefit.  While the authors are self-admitted Liberals, they do a decent job (not always, but for the most part) of toeing the neutrality line. 

This should be mandatory reading for all high school kids, teachers, parents with kids.  Fine, virtually everyone.  Solid solid book.

2 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The latest in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child entitled Blue Moon is now on the shelves.  Also out is the latest in the Mitch Rapp series now authored by Kyle Mills titled Lethal Agent.

There's also a collection of Reacher short stories out called No Middle Name.

The latest in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child entitled Blue Moon is now on the shelves.  Also out is the latest in the Mitch Rapp series now authored by Kyle Mills titled Lethal Agent.
I'm not a big fan of other authors continuing a series of another author who has passed. I just don't think they are as good. This is purely my opinion. Having said that, I loved Kyle Mills first 2 novels Rising Phoenix and Storming Heaven.