Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

Fire and Blood book one: subseries to "A song of ice and fire" was really good. Anyone that has read those books would enjoy the in depth story of the Targaryen family. Starting to read "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" trilogy by Tad Williams. It's an older trilogy but just getting to it now.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh come on that doesn’t make it History. By that logic The Gladiator was a history movie. 

For the non history major/buff, I enjoy his telling of history even if some of it is questionable. Some of his books even led me to read other books about historical events.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Oh come on that doesn’t make it History. By that logic The Gladiator was a history movie. 

For a person who is not a lover of history or has a passing interest in History, these books can open the door to more interest or teaching historical fact to those people. Anytime history can reach more people, that is a good thing. For History buffs like myself, I prefer the books that go into more detail. That's why I prefer books from McCollough, Evans, Ambrose, Foote, etc.

Even reading Historical Fiction can open doors to the wonders of History.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

For a person who is not a lover of history or has a passing interest in History, these books can open the door to more interest or teaching historical fact to those people. Anytime history can reach more people, that is a good thing. For History buffs like myself, I prefer the books that go into more detail. That's why I prefer books from McCollough, Evans, Ambrose, Foote, etc.

Spot on and you made me think.  I read a book back in the early 90's called "Fatherland" which was historical fiction, but a fine read.  A few years later they came out with a movie based on that novel and it was a HBO movie.  I had to watch it.  Don't know what year that was but my son was young.  He watched the movie with me.  It was really his first "insight" into how Nazi Germany was.  He followed up on it, he became a lover of history.

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Yeah for the people who do further research it’s great. But for the ones that don’t they are left filled with misinformation disguised as History. Dan Brown is somebody else that does this

27 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Another author I love!

I actually enjoy his work as well. It just frightens me the extent to which people thought they understood Vatican procedure after they went back and read Angels and Demons after the Da Vinci code came out. 

19 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I actually enjoy his work as well. It just frightens me the extent to which people thought they understood Vatican procedure after they went back and read Angels and Demons after the Da Vinci code came out. 

I understand what you are saying, and to a degree, I agree with you.  History is a funny thing in the sense that there are so many out there that are "ignorant" of it.  But historical fiction to me, does have it's purpose.  At least on my end.  What if Hitler wouldn't have attacked Russia?  What if the Japanese wouldn't have attacked Pearl Harbor?  What if England would have won the Revolutionary War?  The list is endless....and to me fascinating.  

13 minutes ago, Rico said:

I understand what you are saying, and to a degree, I agree with you.  History is a funny thing in the sense that there are so many out there that are "ignorant" of it.  But historical fiction to me, does have it's purpose.  At least on my end.  What if Hitler wouldn't have attacked Russia?  What if the Japanese wouldn't have attacked Pearl Harbor?  What if England would have won the Revolutionary War?  The list is endless....and to me fascinating.  

I would classify alternative history in a different subcategory than Dan Brown and the killing books. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I would classify alternative history in a different subcategory than Dan Brown and the killing books. 

That's fine.  I was just saying that some people view alternative history as factual history.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:02 PM, Brass Cannon said:

As a history buff with a history degree I vomited a little bit at the assertion that these books can be viewed as history 

20 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah for the people who do further research it’s great. But for the ones that don’t they are left filled with misinformation disguised as History. Dan Brown is somebody else that does this

Dan Brown and OReilly/Dugard arent even a close comparison. My guess is you dislike OReillys politics.

9 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Dan Brown and OReilly/Dugard arent even a close comparison. My guess is you dislike OReillys politics.

I’m not going to get into politics. But hey nice try to deflect my point without actually refuting it. 

Yes they are similar they pretend to inform all the while using cherry picked facts to fit the narrative. For example it would be really good storyrelling if Grant and Lee never met again after the surrender. So it got written that way. Never mind it wasn’t true. It was good for the story. 

And that’s something he was actually wrong about. Tons of other true facts we’re used without proper context or complimentary information. 

I FINALLY finished Leadership in Turbulent Times.  A very well written book.  Has a bit of a political lean to the left (not getting political, just a forewarning is all).  It's like 4 parts history 1 part self-help/leadership betterment philosophies.  Plus the manner in which it is written is phenomenal.  Lincoln, both Roosevelt's, and LBJ (who I admittedly knew the least about).  It took a slice of of their 'early years', then a slice of their pre-presidential years, then presidential, and finally an epilogue about life after politics (if it existed).  Really good.

I also finished Fives and Twenty-fives by Michael Pitre.  A quick read, took a few days.  I couldn't put it down.  It's probably 5-6 yrs old.  It focuses on a Lieutenant and his platoon (mainly 3-4 characters) and their adjustment back into civilian life.  The struggles that come post-Iraq.  The writing style can be a bit confusing at first but you catch on quickly.  Definitely recommended!

What?

There's a thread titled, Book Thread?

I had no idea.  Nice!

I read a book each week, on average...some weeks I might read two or even start a third, while occasionally an entire week or two might pass without me picking one up.  I'm drawn primarily to nonfiction, although I just started The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  I just finished rereading Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.

I FINALLY finished Leadership in Turbulent Times.  A very well written book.  Has a bit of a political lean to the left (not getting political, just a forewarning is all).  It's like 4 parts history 1 part self-help/leadership betterment philosophies.  Plus the manner in which it is written is phenomenal.  Lincoln, both Roosevelt's, and LBJ (who I admittedly knew the least about).  It took a slice of of their 'early years', then a slice of their pre-presidential years, then presidential, and finally an epilogue about life after politics (if it existed).  Really good.
I also finished Fives and Twenty-fives by Michael Pitre.  A quick read, took a few days.  I couldn't put it down.  It's probably 5-6 yrs old.  It focuses on a Lieutenant and his platoon (mainly 3-4 characters) and their adjustment back into civilian life.  The struggles that come post-Iraq.  The writing style can be a bit confusing at first but you catch on quickly.  Definitely recommended!

Fives and Twenty-fives... never thought I’d hear that in the civilian world.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app