Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

On 12/13/2022 at 7:08 PM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Red Heart by James Alexander Thom is my next book I will starting in the next day or 2. I found it interesting that when this book was published in the mid 90s, he was living in Bloomington, Indiana and was a professor at the journalism school.
His books are historical fiction based in the west or Colonial times. He has been praised for the accuracy of his books. Red Heart is about a quaker girl who was kidnapped by the Miami tribe and lives with them until late in life. I also have Panther in the Sky on my to read list. It is about the life of Tecumseh. I believe the author is still living in the Bloomington area.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I just finished Thom's Panther in the Sky which is about Tecumseh.  It was pretty good.  Kept my interest.  Wasn't really in the noir style since it seemed to put Tecumseh up on a pedestal.  One thing that bothered me about Panther in the Sky is that it did not even mention any significance of earthworks, mounds, and paths to Newark from all across Ohio.

I have always been fascinated by native American mounds and the Shawnee, Miamis and Mississipian cultures.  Grew up close to Angel Mounds in Evansville.  Have visited mound sites from Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Florida...and others.   Notable are Cahokia near East St. Louis, Newark Earthworks east of Columbus OH, and Serpent Mound northeast of Cincinnati.  If one has not read about Serpent Mound, do so.  It has multiple theories about measuring the sun and moon and fertility rites.  And nearby Fort Ancient was misnamed.  It was not a defensive structure.  

Read a biography of Mad Anthony Wayne which I have mixed feelings about.  Unlikely General by Mary Stockwell was another learning experience.  Lots of research went into it.  But General Wayne was...ahem...flawed.  Wayne ran around...got his head turned by power...avoided debtors by getting elected to Congress from two states...and lobbied heavily to be placed in charge of the army going up the Miami River to the Great Lakes.  

Panther in the Sky was more enjoyable as an easy read.  Unlikely General was not fun...but both are recommended.  

I will read anything by Shelby Foote.  

On 1/4/2024 at 9:17 AM, Dave from Dayton said:

I just finished Thom's Panther in the Sky which is about Tecumseh.  It was pretty good.  Kept my interest.  Wasn't really in the noir style since it seemed to put Tecumseh up on a pedestal.  One thing that bothered me about Panther in the Sky is that it did not even mention any significance of earthworks, mounds, and paths to Newark from all across Ohio.

I have always been fascinated by native American mounds and the Shawnee, Miamis and Mississipian cultures.  Grew up close to Angel Mounds in Evansville.  Have visited mound sites from Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Florida...and others.   Notable are Cahokia near East St. Louis, Newark Earthworks east of Columbus OH, and Serpent Mound northeast of Cincinnati.  If one has not read about Serpent Mound, do so.  It has multiple theories about measuring the sun and moon and fertility rites.  And nearby Fort Ancient was misnamed.  It was not a defensive structure.  

Read a biography of Mad Anthony Wayne which I have mixed feelings about.  Unlikely General by Mary Stockwell was another learning experience.  Lots of research went into it.  But General Wayne was...ahem...flawed.  Wayne ran around...got his head turned by power...avoided debtors by getting elected to Congress from two states...and lobbied heavily to be placed in charge of the army going up the Miami River to the Great Lakes.  

Panther in the Sky was more enjoyable as an easy read.  Unlikely General was not fun...but both are recommended.  

I will read anything by Shelby Foote.  

Try adventures with roger on YouTube . Lot of cool stuff about southern Indiana . You might enjoy it .