Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

I recently finished John Grisham's "The Reckoning" and Delia Owens' "Where the Crawdads Sing". Both great reads. Hard to put down.  Both similar in era, 1950s-60s. One in Mississippi and the other in North Carolina. Both fiction. Love, life, loneliness, actions have unintended and intended consequences. Can't recommend them enough. 

Apologies if someone already posted about this, but I finished "A View Across the Rooftops" by Suzanne Kelman a few days ago. It's about life in Amsterdam after the German invasion during WWII.  

Pretty entertaining read. Sad, disgusting and depressing, but a pretty good read ... And since there are no sports for a while, why not pick up a book! 

I recently finished John Grisham's "The Reckoning" and Delia Owens' "Where the Crawdads Sing". Both great reads. Hard to put down.  Both similar in era, 1950s-60s. One in Mississippi and the other in North Carolina. Both fiction. Love, life, loneliness, actions have unintended and intended consequences. Can't recommend them enough. 
I have both on my to read list. One of those might be next read.
Currently reading "Outlaw Platoon". I am really enjoying it. My brother won't talk about his experiences in Afghanistan. This book gives me a taste of what he might have gone through.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

On 3/11/2020 at 10:30 AM, Naturalhoosier said:

Just borrowed “Where the Crawdads Sing.”

Thanks Natty!

^^^^I've added them both to my list.  What else you guys got?  With zero sports in my life (and likely youth sports being postponed) I have a ton more free time. 
Go back through the thread.
But if you are lazy like me, I enjoy the following authors:
Louis L'amour
CJ Box
Clive Cussler
John Sandford
James Rollins
Steve Berry
Lee Child
Jeffrey Deavers
Dana Fuller Ross
William Kent Krueger
Paul Doiron

On 3/11/2020 at 10:30 AM, Naturalhoosier said:

I liked The Reckoning. Seemed to kinda drag on though.

I read Unknown Valor by Martha McCallum. Great read. I gave it 5 stars on goodreads. It combines a Traditional History of the Pacific Theater in WWII with personal accounts of her mom's relatives and one who died on Iwo Jima. I won't lie, it brought tears to my eyes at the end. But, then again, these types of personal accounts often do and I'm not ashamed to say it.

I also recently finished Outlaw Platoon. It is a memoir of the Author's time in Afghanistan as a Platoon Leader with the famed 10th Mountain Division. I really enjoyed it.
After I retired from the Guard, the Unit I call my home unit was called up to Afghanistan. My brother went with him. He took my job as PSG of the mortar Platoon when I retired. He and my other friends who were there rarely talk about it. This gave me some insight to what they went through.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I read Unknown Valor by Martha McCallum. Great read. I gave it 5 stars on goodreads. It combines a Traditional History of the Pacific Theater in WWII with personal accounts of her mom's relatives and one who died on Iwo Jima. I won't lie, it brought tears to my eyes at the end. But, then again, these types of personal accounts often do and I'm not ashamed to say it.

I'm actually about to begin reading that.  It finally came off hold!  Looking forward to it. 

Trying to think of other books I've read and enjoyed; aside from classics like The Great Gatsby.

There's a young adult series I started several years ago but never finished; Lorien Legacies series by Pitticus Lore.  Starts with I Am Number Four (basis of the movie), I've only read maybe 3 of them in the series but enjoyed them.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:19 PM, LamarCheeks said:

Apologies if someone already posted about this, but I finished "A View Across the Rooftops" by Suzanne Kelman a few days ago. It's about life in Amsterdam after the German invasion during WWII.  

Pretty entertaining read. Sad, disgusting and depressing, but a pretty good read ... And since there are no sports for a while, why not pick up a book! 

Reading this right now. Really like it so far! 

On 3/12/2020 at 2:19 PM, LamarCheeks said:

My library doesn't have that one. I'll have to source it elsewhere.

Just finished Unknown Valor. A wonderful mix of textbook history and personal stories.